Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

sound deading opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound deading opinions

Hey there, im looking to do some sound deadening in my car soon. I just wanted your opinion on a few things. I've never sound deaded using dynomat or any other padded sound deadener of the sort. But what are your opinions of the cheapo home depot method of using duct insulation. Ive seen numerous car of the v8 world use it with great sucsess.
Is it worth spending more money on pridcuts such as dynomat compared to a cheapy solution like mentioned above?

Also, ive read steps to take sound deadening even further. From Stinky's thread, spectrum sludge. Ive also found they have a basic cheapy home depot solution to this as well. I guess what im looking for is justification for spending the extra money on name brand sound deadener stuff over other remedies. Lets hear your opinions guys. Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 03:16 AM

Personally I have 2 layers of Dynomat all over my trunk.

I'm running ONE 10" Alpine Type R and a 650Watt Amp.

The Dynomat def. did help but it didn't take away all the rattling as our cars are NOTORIOUS for rattle.

I havn't heard of any of these other "Home Depot" remedies but I am curious if they work and how to do them.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the response.
The home depot remedy is some duct insualtion by cold king or something of the nature.
Shown here : http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm
I was wondering because i plan to sound deaden the entire car. Not for stereo, but for my own benefit. I would like to rid myself of alot of the cars rattles and exterior sound. So if anyone has some ideas or opinions, please feel free.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 AM

Wow I wonder if that Duct Insulation actually works or not I am so going to try this tomorrow permitting the weather is nice for once in this damn state lol.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Dynamat is good for rattles and lower frequencies

Spectrum is great stuff but it can get expensive just like dynamat

You’re talking about the pink **** right? The duct insulation will help with just making your car quieter and keeping your car hot/cold. It won’t help much with rattles. Closed cell foam will do the same thing as the duct stuff.

There are off brands of dynamat and spectrum but they aren’t quite as good. For instance they aren’t as thick or made of slightly different materials. They will work though and if your on a budget and want better sq then go for it, what’s it gonna hurt?

eDead is a Rubber Butyl (like dynamat) just lower quality. Scosche makes one too called Accumat. SSA also damplifier and damplifier pro.

SSA is having a sale on some type of stuff like the sludge that I’ve put all over my car. It’s a water based one lower quality but will still do the same thing, like I’ve sad.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:22 PM

I have a couple rolls of fatmat for sale for $60.00, i don't know the exact sq ft i have, but compared with dynomat, you might get half of one of these rolls fr that price. It's ok stuff too. Dynamat is better but this will still get the job done. https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/parts-66/bfaulk-stuff-sale-audio-stuff-4wheeler-guage-pod-air-tank-158290/
Old 03-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Ok y'all not trying to be mean but its "Dynamat" not "Dynomat" lol sorry
Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by stinkyfisherman
Ok y'all not trying to be mean but its "Dynamat" not "Dynomat" lol sorry
Yea i know, i misstyped(don't know if that is a word, lol) the fist time, if you read my entire post, i spelled it correctly the second time.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 PM

^^^ Its all good I just though it was kinda funny that almost everyone posted it wrong, just wanted to help.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkyfisherman
Dynamat is good for rattles and lower frequencies

Spectrum is great stuff but it can get expensive just like dynamat

You’re talking about the pink **** right? The duct insulation will help with just making your car quieter and keeping your car hot/cold. It won’t help much with rattles. Closed cell foam will do the same thing as the duct stuff.

There are off brands of dynamat and spectrum but they aren’t quite as good. For instance they aren’t as thick or made of slightly different materials. They will work though and if your on a budget and want better sq then go for it, what’s it gonna hurt?

eDead is a Rubber Butyl (like dynamat) just lower quality. Scosche makes one too called Accumat. SSA also damplifier and damplifier pro.

SSA is having a sale on some type of stuff like the sludge that I’ve put all over my car. It’s a water based one lower quality but will still do the same thing, like I’ve sad.
x2 while Second Skin is the best if your on a budget its not the cheapest. Look into butyl products like dynamat extreme, SSA damp/pro, rammat, b-quiet Ultimate ect Any of the asphalt products like regular dynamat, b-quiet extreme, peel and seal (home depot) ect will fall off over time. not can will. I would also stay away from edead. anything ED ive messed with has been garbage along with their service.

since your main concern is rattles look into the vibration dampening mats/liquids over any foam. While something like that duct foam works its ultimatly not going to help eliminate the rattles as much as the actual vibration dampener.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:49 AM

Excellent thank you sirs for a very good read. And also, thanks for the "dynomat" correction, lol.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM

DYNOMITE!!! lol! dynamat...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:44 AM

home depot remedy.... buy the caulk that expands as it sets and squeeze in into all the cracks, we did it on my buddy honda del sol in his trunk and no more rattle
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 AM

Sorry to revive this thread. But any idea on how much square feet to buy? I plan on doing doors, floors, front firewall, trunk, under headliner. Looks like ill be going edead after doing some research, seems to be promising. Any MORE advice will be great, thanks guys.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 AM

my advise is to not do edead... um i used like 250sq ft or soemthing like that but i went crazy. 80sq should get you good results with 50-60% coverage or if you want a lil more 120 should be more then enough
Old 03-10-2009, 03:08 AM

ya, i know you said stay away from edead unfortunately, im kinda on a budget :\
Thanks for the sq advice man, appreciate it.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:41 AM

give me a budget/ which edead product u were looking at and ill try and find you something better
Old 03-17-2009, 03:06 AM

I have had no problems with edead v1SE, it is a pretty nice butyl based sound deadening product.. I also have used quite a bit of their v3 which is the liquid paint/spray on stuff. I have done installs on several vehicles(including my own) and have had no issues what so ever..
Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
give me a budget/ which edead product u were looking at and ill try and find you something better
Hey man, sorry man didnt even realize you posted a reply.
I was doing some research and found this. http://www.lmperformance.com/5473/70.html
Although it seems like a good deal, assuming i did my math correctly, thats only good for about 40 feet give or take. A saw the Edead stuff on ebay, and didnt think it would be a bad idea. Of course i was thinking of using expanding foam in cracks of the deadener, and any area that i conventionally cannot reach.
Im working with an ion redline, so i may have the possibility of adding dual layers of the deadener. Since the majority of our body panels come out, i can place deadener on the inside door (under the panel of course) And on the outside as well, under the door skin.
I dunno how effective if would be, but id be willing to try
im looking to spend roughly 200-300 dollars for everything. Sorry for the late response man. I appreciate your help.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 AM

bump
Old 03-19-2009, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by XxDHiLLxX
Personally I have 2 layers of Dynomat all over my trunk.

I'm running ONE 10" Alpine Type R and a 650Watt Amp.

The Dynomat def. did help but it didn't take away all the rattling as our cars are NOTORIOUS for rattle.

I havn't heard of any of these other "Home Depot" remedies but I am curious if they work and how to do them.
dude for some reason i always liked the rattle'ing

why? i dont know
Old 03-21-2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by shaunmcdee
Hey man, sorry man didnt even realize you posted a reply.
I was doing some research and found this. http://www.lmperformance.com/5473/70.html
Although it seems like a good deal, assuming i did my math correctly, thats only good for about 40 feet give or take. A saw the Edead stuff on ebay, and didnt think it would be a bad idea. Of course i was thinking of using expanding foam in cracks of the deadener, and any area that i conventionally cannot reach.
Im working with an ion redline, so i may have the possibility of adding dual layers of the deadener. Since the majority of our body panels come out, i can place deadener on the inside door (under the panel of course) And on the outside as well, under the door skin.
I dunno how effective if would be, but id be willing to try
im looking to spend roughly 200-300 dollars for everything. Sorry for the late response man. I appreciate your help.
second skin damplifer retails for half the price you found. you can get 80sq ft for a lil bit more depending on shipping compared to 36sq ft of dynamat extreme. Mind you they are comparable where as the damplifier pro is thicker then the dynamat extreme

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/vibra...damplifier.php
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 PM

Not to threadjack but I figured I'd jump in rather then start a "Use Search" war. While it doesn't involve my Cobalt, I've got a question sorta along the same lines. I'm more concerned with heat blocking/insulating properties though. I'm getting ready to rebuild the 383 stroker out of my my '69 C/10. Now, long headers combined with no a/c, along with the nature of a 40 year old truck with a beastly engine, it gets HOT. I mean sweat dripping, make you sick sweltering heat. Mainly during lower speeds (no air flow, go figure huh) I've hit a couple cruises and had to jump outta line and hit open road just to cool myself down. The truck itself never overheats. Some sound deadening would be nice though seeing as how it has a wicked "drone" with the headers uncapped.

First main purchase after getting it running will be new matching carpet. I figured I may as well do it right and lay down some kinda barrier. What would you stereo gurus suggest? They all claim to do a good job but I want real opinions. I've also seen where some suggest 2 different layers of seperate types stacked up. Cost won't matter as much since it's a rather small cab, but I don't wanna blow a ton of money. I do however, plan to keep this truck for many many years (was Grandpa's) so I want something that will last. On a side note, the next project will be a much needed stereo upgrade which I'll be calling on you guys again.

Also, where is the best place to buy whatever is suggested, and what would be a fair price?

Sorry for the long multi-question post, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:13 AM

how tight it the new carpet gonna be? id look into some thermal products by second skin audio

Id recommend a solid layer of damplifier followed by a pretty thick layer of firewall spray lastly if you can fit it a layer of motor mat pro under the carpet you should notice a significant heat difference

if that's a little to pricey take out the damplifier and add some more firewall
Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM

Thanks Emperor.

No idea about the carpet, it's a direct replacement, made to fit, molded carpet. So I would assume it'll be pretty tight. When I call to get color samples I'll ask about fitment too. How thick is all this really gonna amount to anyways?

Like I said, square footage really shouldn't be very much at all, so cost shouldn't be to much, comparatively speaking of course.

My last question is where is the best place to buy Second Skin products?

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: sound deading opinions