Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

SPAL Universal Power Windows - 2 x 25A power source

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPAL Universal Power Windows - 2 x 25A power source

Hi all,

do you guys know of a power source I can tap into with 2 lines, each with a 25A fuse on them? The SPAL universal kit needs 2 lines with the fuses on them. As of right now, I got the wiring all prepped to go, just need to know where I can tap into and grab power from for each 25A fused line. As well, if you can give a quick rundown on how to tap into it, that would be awesome! Don't want to electrocute myself or screw up the wiring and have a defective car, lol.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
probably no where. for 50a your probably going to want to run your own wire. put a 50a fuse near the battery or jumper post if you getting it there (battery is preferred) then split to the 2 25a wherever you need them to go. lastly if you need it to be switched power or whatever you would have to do a relay
Old 09-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Hey,

Thanks, thats kind of what I was expecting to hear. Im going to pick up a 50A fuse and run my own line from the jumper post in the front, or the back battery if it proves not too difficult (I know it isn't, I already ran power lock cables through the doors and under the carpet). Thanks for confirming this for me
Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 PM

not a problem ya with that much current its just a much better idea to run your own vs piggy backing off anything
Old 09-11-2011, 12:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
First of all, you dont want to run run a 50amp line through the car like that, youd need to use 10 gauge wire, and even then 50amps is more than I like to see added on and run inside the car.

And theres no need to do that anyway, you can very easily get the power you want from the fuseblock/bcm in the centerconsole. Youll just need two add-a-fuse's and the 25amp ATM style fuses, and 16ga wire. get the power from the the Power Wondow slot for one window and the Sunroof slot for the other. also wiring them from those sources instead of from the battery or front fuse block youll have them powered up the exact same way as factory, meaning no no need to run extra circuits for a relay.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with Maven, I wouldn't run 50amps that far if there are other choices
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 AM

more then you would like to see added on in the car?

id check to see if theres even power for the window fuse and i know the sunroof fuse is only 15a. so assuming you dont have a sunroof your already going 10a over. betta not roll down the window real quick. do it in short bursts make it the new cool thing
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1

id check to see if theres even power for the window fuse and i know the sunroof fuse is only 15a. so assuming you dont have a sunroof your already going 10a over. betta not roll down the window real quick. do it in short bursts make it the new cool thing
No, more than I would want added on as a 50amp wire through the dash or from the back of car especially when there is already place to get the power from.

The sunroof fuse and the power window fuse both get their power from the same electrical bus in the BCM. There is more than sufficient power available from the BCM to power these aftermarket window motors.

Yes the sunroof fuse when equipped is only a 15amp, but that has nothing to do with the available amperage at the BCM. Its a 15amp fuse because thats all the sunroof needs to run/protect its circuit.

Theres zero reason to run a circuit through the firewall or from the battery. If it were my car, or a customers car I would power the windows from the BCM as intended by GM. Like I said, get some add-a-fuses that will support 25amps, run yourself somepower circuits from those with a high quality TXL type 14 or 16gauge wire and youll be fine. Plus you wont need a relay or any of the extra wiring that goes with it.

Last edited by Maven; 09-11-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:04 PM

Sub'd
Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
No, more than I would want added on as a 50amp wire through the dash or from the back of car especially when there is already place to get the power from.

The sunroof fuse and the power window fuse both get their power from the same electrical bus in the BCM. There is more than sufficient power available from the BCM to power these aftermarket window motors.

Yes the sunroof fuse when equipped is only a 15amp, but that has nothing to do with the available amperage at the BCM. Its a 15amp fuse because thats all the sunroof needs to run/protect its circuit.

Theres zero reason to run a circuit through the firewall or from the battery. If it were my car, or a customers car I would power the windows from the BCM as intended by GM. Like I said, get some add-a-fuses that will support 25amps, run yourself somepower circuits from those with a high quality TXL type 14 or 16gauge wire and youll be fine. Plus you wont need a relay or any of the extra wiring that goes with it.
Hm, that seems to make an awful lot more sense and is probably also much easier. I will have to find some add-a-fuses with 25 amp support and then wire one through power windows and one through sunroof as suggested. Sounds like you are an installer? or atleast know a good amount of knowledge.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 PM

I'll let you guys know if it has any power before I use it since I only have the base model and im sure it would be good for the forum to know. Hoping it does!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Yea I agree JJ, lets pull some current off the main power supply for our cars computer rather than running an isolated power source straight from the battery. I didn't know 50 amps was too much to run (8 gauge wire). Guess my 250 amp fused 1/0 gauge is wayyyyyy too much current to be running through a car.....guess I should go remove it tomorrow...
Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 AM

ive personally never done or tried to do this before so the idea of hey some cars came with power windows so shouldn't be hard to replicate using power from the bcm sounds like a good idea from a noob poitn of view but thinking about it a little more...

problem is that 50a figure. that's alot... more then id be comfortable with just piggybacking off a fuse slot or even assuming would be readily available at the bcm regardless. considering its necessary for the car to keep driving and it is or at least was a 600-700 part i wouldn't want to do anything id remotely think could cause it to **** up.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by c4w18
Yea I agree JJ, lets pull some current off the main power supply for our cars computer rather than running an isolated power source straight from the battery. I didn't know 50 amps was too much to run (8 gauge wire). Guess my 250 amp fused 1/0 gauge is wayyyyyy too much current to be running through a car.....guess I should go remove it tomorrow...
What you just said has nothing to do with this thread, a fused 0 gauge wire is obviously okay to run through your car, running 50 amps through a small auxiliary power wire is not.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:50 PM

how do you figure that?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

You would need almost a 6gauge wire to safely carry 50amps through the car based on recommend voltage ratings 2/0 can easily carry 200-250amps safely. To run them separately for 25amp per line you would want to use about 10 guage.

Last edited by JshLnsctt; 09-13-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:34 PM

totally agree but your missing the point. he didn't say what size wire should be ran he just said that it should be vs getting it at the bcm. and another point the main power wire for the car is only 4g and it doesn't come close to the bcm at all. im not sure how the bcm gets power but if theres a single big wire going to it its less then 4g.

so if the power windows hes adding needs a min of 6g to run properly how thick of a wire needs to go to the bcm to handle the added 50a? from all that ive done in my car i haven't seen a big single run of wire to the bcm... the only thing that might possible be "power" for the bcm vs individual wires is the 6g at best wire from the battery (with a 50a fuse btw) Im almost 100% positive that the bcm doesn't have 4g+ wire going to it and if 50a really needs 6g like you said then there is absolutely no way that piggybacking off the bcm makes any sense when it has at best a 6g power wire
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

totally agree but your missing the point. he didn't say what size wire should be ran he just said that it should be vs getting it at the bcm. and another point the main power wire for the car is only 4g and it doesn't come close to the bcm at all. im not sure how the bcm gets power but if theres a single big wire going to it its less then 4g.

so if the power windows hes adding needs a min of 6g to run properly how thick of a wire needs to go to the bcm to handle the added 50a? from all that ive done in my car i haven't seen a big single run of wire to the bcm... the only thing that might possible be "power" for the bcm vs individual wires is the 6g at best wire from the battery (with a 50a fuse btw) Im almost 100% positive that the bcm doesn't have 4g+ wire going to it and if 50a really needs 6g like you said then there is absolutely no way that piggybacking off the bcm makes any sense when it has at best a 6g power wire
I'm just talking safely speaking that is the ratings, also you would only need 6ga if they were both run together. If they were run separate they could safely be bumped to about 10ga fused, which I would think would be fairly practical. I would assume the power is brought to the BCM through several different wires, never really thought about it. This conversation is definitely interesting though, because 50amp is an interesting amount to have to find a safe and reliable location to run from. It makes it even harder that add-a-fuses are all rated safely for only about 10amp per circuit as you are just adding on to pre-existing wiring.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 PM

AWG American Wire Gauge

AWG states that true 8 gauge is sufficient to safely carry 50 amps...don't know where you figured the 6 gauge from...

but yes, I don't recommend running cheap (cheap as in low strand count resulting in higher resistance, small cross section, etc) 8 gauge wire to aftermarket window motors which, for the most part, are cheaply made and have a high rate of failure compared to OEM window regulators/motors....

My main issue is pulling current from what is essentially the "brain" of the car with aftermarket parts....NOT OEM parts..the argument right now is essentially risk vs reward....As a beginner instaler, which OP seems to be, is it riskier to run an isolated fused circuit through the car? Or is it riskier to pull current from the BCM's power supply....? Well, chances are they will both work...but when you weigh in risk vs reward, what are you truly gaining from pulling power off the BCM? Worst case scenario if something odd happens, you're out of a 600-700 part like JJ said, and risk a potential 65 mph car shutdown (possibly lethal). Thats WORST case scenario.....on the other hand, running wire from the battery fused within 18 inches of the battery terminal would result in up to 18 inches of burned insulation/wire and a blown fuse....

Yes, it's possible to do both without an issue, but it's like masturbating in public, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. My 2 cents.

Last edited by c4w18; 09-13-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:25 PM

The circuits I recommend using are fed using a 5mm2 (10ga) wire. GM's XLPE style wire thats used in our cars can carry 50amps over 20ft safely. Obviouslt theres nowhere near 20ft of wire between the center console and the underhood fuseblock so no worries there,in shorther runs GM 5mm2 wire is rated for 60amps......

Also remember that fuses arent rated for what the load uses, they are usually rated at LEAST 125% more, sometimes even 150%. At 150% that would mean a circuit with a 15amp fuse never even uses over 10.

Now adding up all the fuses run to a circuit isnt really a good way to tell what is actually running through the wires but just for the sake of this discussion there is over 120amps worth of fused circuits feeding the BCM. cant see power windows drawing more power than the BCm can handle. **** they would have to draw almost as much as the generator can even produce.

Just put a battery in the glovebox.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:07 PM

AWG American Wire Gauge

AWG states that true 8 gauge is sufficient to safely carry 50 amps...don't know where you figured the 6 gauge from...

but yes, I don't recommend running cheap (cheap as in low strand count resulting in higher resistance, small cross section, etc) 8 gauge wire to aftermarket window motors which, for the most part, are cheaply made and have a high rate of failure compared to OEM window regulators/motors....

My main issue is pulling current from what is essentially the "brain" of the car with aftermarket parts....NOT OEM parts..the argument right now is essentially risk vs reward....As a beginner instaler, which OP seems to be, is it riskier to run an isolated fused circuit through the car? Or is it riskier to pull current from the BCM's power supply....? Well, chances are they will both work...but when you weigh in risk vs reward, what are you truly gaining from pulling power off the BCM? Worst case scenario if something odd happens, you're out of a 600-700 part like JJ said, and risk a potential 65 mph car shutdown (possibly lethal). Thats WORST case scenario.....on the other hand, running wire from the battery fused within 18 inches of the battery terminal would result in up to 18 inches of burned insulation/wire and a blown fuse....

Yes, it's possible to do both without an issue, but it's like masturbating in public, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. My 2 cents.
this
Old 09-14-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Maven
The circuits I recommend using are fed using a 5mm2 (10ga) wire. GM's XLPE style wire thats used in our cars can carry 50amps over 20ft safely. Obviouslt theres nowhere near 20ft of wire between the center console and the underhood fuseblock so no worries there,in shorther runs GM 5mm2 wire is rated for 60amps......

Also remember that fuses arent rated for what the load uses, they are usually rated at LEAST 125% more, sometimes even 150%. At 150% that would mean a circuit with a 15amp fuse never even uses over 10.

Now adding up all the fuses run to a circuit isnt really a good way to tell what is actually running through the wires but just for the sake of this discussion there is over 120amps worth of fused circuits feeding the BCM. cant see power windows drawing more power than the BCm can handle. **** they would have to draw almost as much as the generator can even produce.

Just put a battery in the glovebox.
I'm not rapping on you at all, and can definitely respect your take on this situation, and I hope you can see where I'm coming from as well. Current isn't everything here either. Voltage drop can occur (esp with our shitty stock alts and the addition of any other aftermarket accessories) during a heavy load period and potentially cause things to "funk" out temporarily as well.....I personally know how these aftermarket window motors work (as I'm sure you do too) and I treat them like the beasts I think they should be treated as, a separate entity from the OEM workings of the vehicle...But to each their own...glad we could have a civil debate and pick each other's minds in a respectful manner. Good talk Maven. And lol @ batt in glovebox, as sarcastic as that was....
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40 PM

Reading over the posts, I think running the direct line makes the most sense here, and do 2 lines each for 25A (since i'd be connecting it to the individual 25A lines anyway). Would double fusing it be any issue? there is already a fuse included with the line that I have installed at the end of it. If its not an issue I want to have a 2nd one as close to the battery as possible to minimize the amount of wire that could get burnt and blow the first fuse with.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by humm3r1
Reading over the posts, I think running the direct line makes the most sense here, and do 2 lines each for 25A (since i'd be connecting it to the individual 25A lines anyway). Would double fusing it be any issue? there is already a fuse included with the line that I have installed at the end of it. If its not an issue I want to have a 2nd one as close to the battery as possible to minimize the amount of wire that could get burnt and blow the first fuse with.
double fusing is never an issue as long as the fuses are the proper rating for the wire that they're protecting
Old 09-16-2011, 10:46 AM

double fusing is never an issue as long as the fuses are the proper rating for the wire that they're protecting
I thought so, I couldn't think of any reason it would be an issue. Thanks for confirming that. Looks like I will probably be running my own line over the weekend for these windows.

Quick Reply: SPAL Universal Power Windows - 2 x 25A power source