Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Speaker Adapters

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Adapters

Looking around for answers to the speaker adapter issues for an 07 LT with the 4 speaker setup.

Do the adapters being sold work? I read about some fitment issues but noone has any type of pictures or many comments about this issue.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just cut the wire a couple incheds back and strait wire them in, you can always attach the factory adapters back later.
There is a pinout guide in the top of the section to tell you whats neg and pos

Floppin Nuts.....Thats funny
Old 09-06-2009, 02:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol hes talking about the mounting bracket not the speaker plug. lol so close spun 3 right on target 1 slightly off.

Personally id say just cut the stock speaker and be done with it. lol its actually pretty soothing to break a speaker.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:41 PM

My name is because poker provides a nice income and it's funny.

I am wondering about the adapters? Who has tried them with no luck? I am not cutting, hacking, destroying anything on my car.

If I wanted to wreck something I'd buy a beater and blast a few 50 round clips from the AK 47 into that bitch.

I want to get some new door speakers this weekend, but if I am going to have this huge pain in the ass to deal with, I will just save my money for more shares of Citi
Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Hows that song go , 3 out of 4 aint bad

Check on ebay, the speaker plate adapters are not that much money.
When I bought my Infinitiy speakers they came with metal brackets to screw into the car, work just the same as adapters.

If you buy 6.5" for the front and 6x9's for the back you shouldn't have to much of an issue, although I'm not sure if the LT has that little plastic piece that goes over the speaker like the SS's do.
They shouldn't be hard to find though, couple bucks at the wreckers.

BTW- I wasn't making fun of your name, it just made me laugh
Old 09-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just cut the stock speaker off in the front, and drilled the new on to the stock bracket, worked just fine
Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spun

When I bought my Infinitiy speakers they came with metal brackets to screw into the car, work just the same as adapters.

If you buy 6.5" for the front and 6x9's for the back you shouldn't have to much of an issue, although I'm not sure if the LT has that little plastic piece that goes over the speaker like the SS's do.

Running 6.5's in back would be a better idea as they have overall better sound characteristics. I wouldnt run a 6x9.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
Running 6.5's in back would be a better idea as they have overall better sound characteristics. I wouldnt run a 6x9.
i like the 6x9's because they usually have good bass
Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dman090
i like the 6x9's because they usually have good bass
A good 6.5" can do the same. Plus be cleaner. A 6x9 has horrible imaging and the bass could be cleaner and tighter.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM

don't u have the pionner system? you shouldn't have needed to take off the stock adapter
Originally Posted by Floppin Nuts
My name is because poker provides a nice income and it's funny.

I am wondering about the adapters? Who has tried them with no luck? I am not cutting, hacking, destroying anything on my car.

If I wanted to wreck something I'd buy a beater and blast a few 50 round clips from the AK 47 into that bitch.

I want to get some new door speakers this weekend, but if I am going to have this huge pain in the ass to deal with, I will just save my money for more shares of Citi
lol either way it doesn't really matter. just easier to gut the stock speakers then buy adapters that may or may not fit
and putting a 6.5 in the back is stupid unless your doing a component set. dman give the guy a break remember you have the re speakers.... hella better then the normal BBY crap that most people are used to
Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
don't u have the pionner system? you shouldn't have needed to take off the stock adapter

lol either way it doesn't really matter. just easier to gut the stock speakers then buy adapters that may or may not fit

and putting a 6.5 in the back is stupid unless your doing a component set. dman give the guy a break remember you have the re speakers.... hella better then the normal BBY crap that most people are used to
You said hella. your post is immediately null and void.

Also a 6.5 setup in back isnt stupid as there are actually decent coaxial setups now that are leaps and bounds better than any horrible 6x9.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 AM

Wow this thread got ugly in a hurry

FYI-I'm running 6.5 Hertz components in my deck lid.
The problem is the OP asked about adapters, when I told him to get the same size speakers as the stock ones, it was to solve his adapter problem, until you piped in sound quality had not been brought up and was not an issue.

To most people 6x9's provide a lot of bang for the buck, they produce a fair amount of bass while still giving some high end. To people like us, who dump thousands and thousands into our stereos, there not what we we use, but the argument could be made that we are off our rockers for wasting so much money when 2 10's and a set of 6x9's will get the job done. There was a time when that was a rockin ass system....now I feel old.

Emp- Yeah I had the plates that came stock but I wanted the speakers on the outside of the door panel, the plates got in the way of the magnet so they had to go. I used the adapters from the Infinitys like a sandwich, speaker n the outside, adapter on the inside and those little triangle things that come with speakers is what I used to hold the screw in.
I only used it for a month or so, untill I made some MDF rings that I could screw right into, but none the less they still did the job
Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 PM

Wow this thread got ugly in a hurry

FYI-I'm running 6.5 Hertz components in my deck lid.
The problem is the OP asked about adapters, when I told him to get the same size speakers as the stock ones, it was to solve his adapter problem, until you piped in sound quality had not been brought up and was not an issue.

To most people 6x9's provide a lot of bang for the buck, they produce a fair amount of bass while still giving some high end. To people like us, who dump thousands and thousands into our stereos, there not what we we use, but the argument could be made that we are off our rockers for wasting so much money when 2 10's and a set of 6x9's will get the job done. There was a time when that was a rockin ass system....now I feel old.

Emp- Yeah I had the plates that came stock but I wanted the speakers on the outside of the door panel, the plates got in the way of the magnet so they had to go. I used the adapters from the Infinitys like a sandwich, speaker n the outside, adapter on the inside and those little triangle things that come with speakers is what I used to hold the screw in.
I only used it for a month or so, untill I made some MDF rings that I could screw right into, but none the less they still did the job
True though there are cheap 6.5" options. If your not into audio then honestly the stock system at least the pioneer isnt horrible. Though its close in my opinion

by the way if you got any pics of the hertz installed throw them up. Ive only had this car for a month and all I have left from the previous car is my zapco 4 channel waiting to go in
Old 09-09-2009, 03:02 AM

lol i agree but ive done a toyota with hertz energy 6.5 up front (second skin in the doors) and energy 6X9s in the back off a 4 channel fosgate amp no bass. That **** sounded better then alot of systems ive herd for liek 600 bucks.

and again same setup in a diff car except high energy 6.5 coax and 6X9 coax off fosgate 4 channel... sounded damn good too bet you if you herd either one you wouldn't talk **** about 6X9s. My point is there are good quality 6X9s out there and unless you hear them u can really talk **** about the speaker size alone. Car audio is a complicated cluster **** of bullshit and not everything u hear or read is necessarily true or actually audible in the car
Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM

lol i agree but ive done a toyota with hertz energy 6.5 up front (second skin in the doors) and energy 6X9s in the back off a 4 channel fosgate amp no bass. That **** sounded better then alot of systems ive herd for liek 600 bucks.

and again same setup in a diff car except high energy 6.5 coax and 6X9 coax off fosgate 4 channel... sounded damn good too bet you if you herd either one you wouldn't talk **** about 6X9s. My point is there are good quality 6X9s out there and unless you hear them u can really talk **** about the speaker size alone. Car audio is a complicated cluster **** of bullshit and not everything u hear or read is necessarily true or actually audible in the car
Bet you I would. I been to a lot of SQ events. 6x9s are passable at best. Their imaging is horrible. And honestly a lot of the top audio people are starting to do front staging only with no rear main speakers.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM

I didn't think anyone was making fun of my name, I just thought I'd explain it if you've never played any hold'em.

I used to chat back on the jbody.org and now I remember why I quit posting. lol

Since no one really knows if these adapters work I went to the local audio shop and ask them a ton of questions. He said they have noticed issues with the cobalt door speakers. One issue was leaking, the second was fitment. The guy told me they would do some type of custom bracket/sealed/mdf?/fiberglass adapter or mount for my car's speakers. I don't feel like spending over $300 for this, and have decided to stick with the stock speakers.

If I get bored I might have my buddy find me some stock speakers out of his scrap yard and I could possibly play around with them. Or I will take my door off and see what type of issues that could be had with the fricken adapter. I don't understand how water would leak into the door? Down the window? Damn cheap ass cars. Glad I bought it for good mpg and cheap insurance. Never forget you get what you pay for.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:22 PM

I didn't think anyone was making fun of my name, I just thought I'd explain it if you've never played any hold'em.

I used to chat back on the jbody.org and now I remember why I quit posting. lol

Since no one really knows if these adapters work I went to the local audio shop and ask them a ton of questions. He said they have noticed issues with the cobalt door speakers. One issue was leaking, the second was fitment. The guy told me they would do some type of custom bracket/sealed/mdf?/fiberglass adapter or mount for my car's speakers. I don't feel like spending over $300 for this, and have decided to stick with the stock speakers.

If I get bored I might have my buddy find me some stock speakers out of his scrap yard and I could possibly play around with them. Or I will take my door off and see what type of issues that could be had with the fricken adapter. I don't understand how water would leak into the door? Down the window? Damn cheap ass cars. Glad I bought it for good mpg and cheap insurance. Never forget you get what you pay for.
well honestly more information would of helped. Leaking can be a problem but theres materials out there to use on an adapter to help seal it in. Though honestly if doing something like a door it would be a good idea to use a good quality sound deadener behind it if your worried about leaking. Also with some of the plates you need to watch the thickness. As I have not personally pulled off a cobalt door I do not know how much space is behind there that also needs to be kept in mind though.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:28 PM

The adapters for the SS/SC's have a piece that goes over them to avoid water damage, but your guy was right, water and fitment are an issue.
Once again, wreckers will get you the adapters for min money
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 AM

lol all doors leak. period. but that doesn't necessarily destroy a speaker. i mean unless it was made of paper and foam... wait that's what the factory uses

Bet you I would. I been to a lot of SQ events. 6x9s are passable at best. Their imaging is horrible. And honestly a lot of the top audio people are starting to do front staging only with no rear main speakers.
and what 6X9s have u herd? because speakers are all made the same. just like cars right. ford festiva=ferrari enzo .... same **** right?

and you cant compare a sq comp car to a normal car. even then they aren't starting to do that that's the way its been. Have u seen my setup? i already have one 1st place SQ trophy. ultimately a good 6X9 in a daily driven car will be just fine.

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 09-10-2009 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-11-2009, 06:55 AM

I don't think he gave me much information because he wanted me to dump off $300 getting some speakers installed.

I might have to pull the door off and take a look. I just want some decent door speakers damnit.

How hard are 6x9s to install? I could also go down that path?
Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM

lol all doors leak. period. but that doesn't necessarily destroy a speaker. i mean unless it was made of paper and foam... wait that's what the factory uses

and what 6X9s have u herd? because speakers are all made the same. just like cars right. ford festiva=ferrari enzo .... same **** right?

and you cant compare a sq comp car to a normal car. even then they aren't starting to do that that's the way its been. Have u seen my setup? i already have one 1st place SQ trophy. ultimately a good 6X9 in a daily driven car will be just fine.
I went down the 6x9 path when i was younger. Tried many of the brands back then all are inferior compared to a well installed round speaker. And not all speakers are made the same. Different materials result in different sounds. And If you placed 1st in your class and got an sq trophy then there was no one with anything good competing. Goi to some of the national soundoffs and try competing. Until then realize the 6x9 is only a good speaker for those that only need 1 step up from factory and are ok with its short comings.

I don't think he gave me much information because he wanted me to dump off $300 getting some speakers installed.

I might have to pull the door off and take a look. I just want some decent door speakers damnit.

How hard are 6x9s to install? I could also go down that path?
Pull off the door panel and see its probably pretty simple. Then you could also see what size you can run and if the magnet size on the speaker will be a problem or not sometimes it can be. 6x9s are easy to install in the rear. Think thats whats back there. Havent even honestly looked as Im just going to run front staging only on my car.

Last edited by CordiaDOHC; 09-11-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-12-2009, 04:26 AM

please dont take offense to this but...

lol dude ur not getting my point are you? i don't have 6X9s in my car. or any rear speakers at the moment if that makes u feel better. I agree with you an oval speaker doesn't sound as good as a round speaker comparing apples to apples. but I'm not talking about walmart pioneer speakers or loud speakers from the 80s. Different materials do result in different sounds but tell me what company makes a 6.5 and 6X9 that is different. A line of speakers are made to essentially be the same thruout. Example a rockford punch 6.5 uses the same materials as the punch 6X9, they dont surprise you with a different cone, surround, "tweeter"(reason for the quotation marks are becaue often the bigger speakers will have an extra tweeter or what not but its not like they go from a coax design to a dual cone or anything) your saying that 6X9s should never be used due to the fact that 6.5s sound better? Come on man, the second u put a burned disc, ipod/zune/mp3 player USB or whatever then the slight advantage you gain by the 6.5 is out the window.

Take a look at these... hertz hi energy HSK690 http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/default_en.htm
those arent gonna sound good just because they are a 6X9?

This might hit home but compare the 6.5 to a drag tire and the 6X9 to a radial tire. My stock pirellis were sorta shitty so i upgraded to some nitto radial tires (going from stock pioneer 6X9 to hertz 6X9) and there's an upgrade there correct? Now a drag tire (6.5) is better no doubt but for the most part what I'm looking to do (drive to work every day) would i notice a difference in performance with the drag tire(6.5)? im sure i would driving on perfect roads (listening to unscratched motzart cds) but on the fucked up pothole roads in the rain (lime wire download 96k on an ipod, radio, any mp3 even if its not the 96k limewire) no way id notice a better performance with the drags... one could even argue the radials (6X9s) are better in that case because they wont wrap u around a pole or blow on a pot hole (better bass from 6X9s, bigger magnet so potential to handle distortion ect better)

Does that make sense?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:56 AM

How hard are 6x9s to install?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM

A good 6.5" can do the same. Plus be cleaner. A 6x9 has horrible imaging and the bass could be cleaner and tighter.
I would think 6x9's would provide more bass. For bass you need a larger cone, and you get characteristics of a 9 inch cone with a 6x9. That's why auto-makers use 6x9 anyway.

Of course, I agree that a 6.5 is better quality and sound characteristics, with a bit less bass. But that's why you get subs instead of having cab speakers try and do the low frequencies.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:05 PM

u need to get a adapter ,, but the speaker will get wet cuz the window leaks...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scosche+...aker&cp=1&lp=7

Quick Reply: Speaker Adapters