Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

speaker help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaker help

Alright did some searching of old threads and maybe I'm just easily confused.

All I want to do is replace the front speakers, and keep the tweeters Is pretty much anything better then stock? Want to spend around $100 or less.

Have the ddx-712 Headunit. Still using the stock amp to power all the other speakers.

What I did learn is that if I'm keeping the tweeters and not going to use an aftermarket amp then I should be looking for a pair of coax speakers. What I'm not sure of is how many ohms the speakers should be. Most on crutchfield are 4. That ok?

So basically all I want to do is take out the door speakers and install another pair that will sound better. Going for simplicity here haha.

Throw up some links of any recommendations if you want.

Just to get me in the right direction. Will these work?
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_065S65R...5RC.html?tp=95

Last edited by steele6794; 03-13-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 AM

You will loose half of the power on those front speakers by going to a 4ohm speaker. Not allot you can do about it as 99% of the speakers are going to be 4 ohm. The speakers will work they just wont get as loud as your used to.

Ultimately when you get into these premium type systems I find it best to just gut them and start fresh but thats just me.

Last edited by Q Bert; 03-14-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:13 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
yup... if ur keeping the stock amp then the infinity kappa 6.5 is the best bet
Old 03-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
yup... if ur keeping the stock amp then the infinity kappa 6.5 is the best bet
Emperor thanks for the response here and in the PM I sent.

Ok so compared to the stock fronts, how much quieter are the Kappas going to be? If they are going to be similar in volume but noticeably better sound quality then I will go with them. If they are alot quieter then I will just buy another stock speaker and throw it in. I like loud music.

Are there any 2 ohm speakers you guys know about? I don't mind spending the money if I have to. I just would of preferred to spend around $100. In the springtime the Chevelle gets the money and the Cobalt takes a back seat...

Just came across this thread while doing a search for 2 ohm speakers.
Emperor, you mat be interested in posts #3 and #16 in this thread. Why do their opinions differ from yours?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-speakers.html

And out of these speakers...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc..._id=47&f_31=97

Which ones you like?

Last edited by steele6794; 03-14-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM

well if your budget is 99 then JBL GTO628 (GTO-628)

fyi JBL and infinity are made by the same company so they are virtually the same with just different cosmetics.

the reasons why their opinions differ is because i base alot of my opinion on what ive herd and what ive done not necessarily what is supposed to happen in theory. They are correct in saying a 4 ohm speaker can get louder then a 2 ohm, as a 4 cylinder car can be faster then a 6 cylinder. The thing is i have a cobalt that had the pioneer system and i did a straight swap from the factory speakers (not blown) to a very nice set of 4 ohms (i think i spent 250 on the speakers) and they sounded much much better but didn't get as loud (i at first left the rear speakers and i had to fade to the front a few notches) So yes you can get 4 ohm speakers but if your goal is louder why would u start off at half power? Also you have to remember that alot of the DIY speakers have a higher efficiency over normal car audio speakers. Ive also done a few different cars with 2 ohm speakers and had the same effect. In the end thou if you really really want a 4 ohm speaker then get it and run wires straight to the deck. You can leave the stock tweeter if you want or disconnect it

Is that your thread thou? a few things didn't seem to match up with what is going on in the cobalt pioneer system.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:08 PM

well if your budget is 99 then JBL GTO628 (GTO-628)

fyi JBL and infinity are made by the same company so they are virtually the same with just different cosmetics.

the reasons why their opinions differ is because i base alot of my opinion on what ive herd and what ive done not necessarily what is supposed to happen in theory. They are correct in saying a 4 ohm speaker can get louder then a 2 ohm, as a 4 cylinder car can be faster then a 6 cylinder. The thing is i have a cobalt that had the pioneer system and i did a straight swap from the factory speakers (not blown) to a very nice set of 4 ohms (i think i spent 250 on the speakers) and they sounded much much better but didn't get as loud (i at first left the rear speakers and i had to fade to the front a few notches) So yes you can get 4 ohm speakers but if your goal is louder why would u start off at half power? Also you have to remember that alot of the DIY speakers have a higher efficiency over normal car audio speakers. Ive also done a few different cars with 2 ohm speakers and had the same effect. In the end thou if you really really want a 4 ohm speaker then get it and run wires straight to the deck. You can leave the stock tweeter if you want or disconnect it

Is that your thread thou? a few things didn't seem to match up with what is going on in the cobalt pioneer system.
No that wasn't my thread. I just did a search for 2 ohm speakers and that was a thread that came up. Someone posted that link to sonic electronics with the infinities and jbl's. I just read the whole thread and a couple of those posts caught my eye, so I wanted to ask you why those peoples opinions differed from yours.

I was definitely going with your advice regardless of what the people in that other thread were saying. You have a cobalt. You've done different configurations of setups in your cobalt. ect. ect. That trumps some technical BS about why a 4ohm speaker, in theory, should be the same as a 2ohm haha.

If this were two years ago then my budget would be much higher and I would get a 4 channel and amp all of the speakers in my car. Truth is I don't know how long I will have the cobalt for so I don't want to put too much money and effort setting up a system I wont enjoy for years to come.

sorry to be a pain. Are these worth the extra money over the jbl gto628 you listed in your above quote? I'm Looking at ebay and they are going for less then $150.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12266_JBL-P662.html

Or

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_12266_JBL-P662.html

The first link are shallow mount speakers. The second link are normal. Guess the shallow mounts require less power. What you think?

Last edited by steele6794; 03-16-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 PM

not a problem dude i come on the forum not because i have to but because when i bought this car i didnt know anything. and most i learned was trial and error on my own car (and believe me ive had plenty of error that i never posted on the forum)

can u post both links again. both of the ones u put up were to the same speaker
Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 PM

can u post both links again. both of the ones u put up were to the same speaker
Shallow mount

JBL P662s 6-1/2" Shallow-Mount 2-way Power Series Speakers

and regular

JBL P662 6-1/2" 2-way Power Series Speakers - Sonic Electronix

There is an auction ending for the shallow mounts, but I can get the other ones for about $85. So whichever you suggest outta the two is what I'll get.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 AM

ah i c now... the regulars would probably sound better
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I'm about to order the JBL GTO628. Do you have experience with that speaker in our cars - more specifically, will they fit? lol
Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM

not personally no but it should fit. if anything a little modification of the plastic might be needed but thats about it. just remember if u have non pioneer package u should use the stock speaker as a bracket (gut the speaker itself)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I have an 07 SS Supercharged.

I'm probably going to go with these - no need for coaxial with the tweeter already in the door:

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System: Car Electronics

Keep the tweeters as a spare in case the Pioneers blow and wire the speaker directly since the factoru amp already takes care of the crossover issue. wooooo
Old 03-28-2012, 10:30 PM

mmm if u do that id yank the stock tweet and install the whole component all together. i mean u can just do the woofer but id do the whole shebang. But if u do install it like that and ever do put the infinity tweets in id run the crossovers off the woofer wiring and leave the stock tweet wiring just hanging basiclly