Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Special Audio Harness for Aftermarket Radio???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Special Audio Harness for Aftermarket Radio???

I want to put a new Headunit in my car but I have been told that I need all sorts of special harness' in order to get it to work. I have Onstar and the Pioneer audio system. Has anyone replaced their factory HU with a new one? What harness' did you need? I know that I have to get the Pac Steering wheel control module, but as far as just getting the radio to work what harness do I need? If I dont have Onstar or my Steering wheel controls thats fine, I just want the headunit to work. Any ideas? I was also told that I would have to bypass the factory amp and lose the factory sub, is this true? or will the GM harness still work??? I have been told so many different things I have no idea what to do. Please HELP!?!?!

The headunit I want to buy is the Pioneer AVA-5700DVD or the Pioneer AVIC-D1
Old 01-23-2006, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CobaltSSSedan
I want to put a new Headunit in my car but I have been told that I need all sorts of special harness' in order to get it to work. I have Onstar and the Pioneer audio system. Has anyone replaced their factory HU with a new one? What harness' did you need? I know that I have to get the Pac Steering wheel control module, but as far as just getting the radio to work what harness do I need? If I dont have Onstar or my Steering wheel controls thats fine, I just want the headunit to work. Any ideas? I was also told that I would have to bypass the factory amp and lose the factory sub, is this true? or will the GM harness still work??? I have been told so many different things I have no idea what to do. Please HELP!?!?!

The headunit I want to buy is the Pioneer AVA-5700DVD or the Pioneer AVIC-D1
Ok one question at a time

1. Yes you need a harness for it metra makes 2 that work the only model number i know of is the 70-2003 i used it in mine works fine you have to move the speaker leads in the harness if you search for some of my posts i have posted the fact colors for the harness just move the pins until they are in the right spot.
2. If you change the radio yes it's gonna need an acc wire use the sunroof fuse or search there are like 20 posts on how to find acc power in these cars.
3. Fact amp does not need to be bypassed u can simply turn it on...when you hook up your radio there will be a blue and white wire in the metra harness hook it up to the amp turn on wire on your radio...you shouldn't lose the fact sub
4. Avic-D1 doesn't play video dvd...only nav nice system but the avic-n2 is better and only a little bit more unless you don't mind hookin up a ps2 or a dvd player to watch movies