Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Stock Deck Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really love IT though, I've pretty much flipped back and forth between doing IT or digital animation. But I finally decided on Sysadmin because i love my job. Setting up trillion dollar entarasys switches, routers, daps, waps. 20k fiber testers, the list could go on. Its all fascinating stuff.

Oh and trust me I know all about people and ticket systems. I have so many funny stories to share.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xavipheus
I really love IT though, I've pretty much flipped back and forth between doing IT or digital animation. But I finally decided on Sysadmin because i love my job. Setting up trillion dollar entarasys switches, routers, daps, waps. 20k fiber testers, the list could go on. Its all fascinating stuff.

Oh and trust me I know all about people and ticket systems. I have so many funny stories to share.
I know the feeling. It's all fascinating and cool in the beginning. But how often are you setting that stuff up? Not very often, unless that's your primary job in which case you will be traveling all the time to new sites. Generally, once the stuff is set up at one particular site it's there for a few years until the next big upgrade comes.

My first job had all Enterasys stuff and it was crap (it was then, not sure if it's better now. It was funny, we had one switch that would randomly start to act up, but would be fixed with a power reset). Where I am now all of our stuff is CISCO, which seems to be more reliable (and also more expensive, its hard to believe what some of this stuff costs isn't it?).

Have you seen the new access point management system CISCO has? It's really neat, we got a demo of it at work. When the WAPs are setup properly, the system can track a user as he walks around the building, using the signal attenuation and triangulation from 3 access points.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
I know the feeling. It's all fascinating and cool in the beginning. But how often are you setting that stuff up? Not very often, unless that's your primary job in which case you will be traveling all the time to new sites. Generally, once the stuff is set up at one particular site it's there for a few years until the next big upgrade comes.

My first job had all Enterasys stuff and it was crap (it was then, not sure if it's better now. It was funny, we had one switch that would randomly start to act up, but would be fixed with a power reset). Where I am now all of our stuff is CISCO, which seems to be more reliable (and also more expensive, its hard to believe what some of this stuff costs isn't it?).

Have you seen the new access point management system CISCO has? It's really neat, we got a demo of it at work. When the WAPs are setup properly, the system can track a user as he walks around the building, using the signal attenuation and triangulation from 3 access points.
You would be surprised how often I'm setting up new toys. Just today everyone got new Treos. Not to mention, every few months Dell comes in to sit down with us and sell us a bunch of stuff we don't need. Like thin clients, servers,biometric authentication stuff, just to name some recent stuff.

Yeah our Enterasys stuff can do that, it's really awesome. Especially considering everyone uses a laptop and wireless is strategically placed all around each school in the district so that theres wireless everywhere. Did I mention the laptops use wireless as there primary net connections? heheheh. Something really awesome about is the active system countermeasures. What it does it when one of the DAPS detect a SSID in range, it duplicates the signal (spoofing) and sends out fake packets to jam the signal. So pretty much anyone who tries to setup a wireless point in the schools, or in our case, people who live around the schools, their wireless is F****D!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 PM

thats sweet im 16. i make around $800/month. i work at ccity and make good money. plus i lead the store in sales every month so that helps a lot
Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by cobaltssTH
thats sweet im 16. i make around $800/month. i work at ccity and make good money. plus i lead the store in sales every month so that helps a lot
thats prety kick ass.... im 9 in a few days and makeing $150 a week at most.... at 16 i was at mcdonalds
Old 01-03-2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
You would be surprised how often I'm setting up new toys. Just today everyone got new Treos. Not to mention, every few months Dell comes in to sit down with us and sell us a bunch of stuff we don't need. Like thin clients, servers,biometric authentication stuff, just to name some recent stuff.

Yeah our Enterasys stuff can do that, it's really awesome. Especially considering everyone uses a laptop and wireless is strategically placed all around each school in the district so that theres wireless everywhere. Did I mention the laptops use wireless as there primary net connections? heheheh. Something really awesome about is the active system countermeasures. What it does it when one of the DAPS detect a SSID in range, it duplicates the signal (spoofing) and sends out fake packets to jam the signal. So pretty much anyone who tries to setup a wireless point in the schools, or in our case, people who live around the schools, their wireless is F****D!
Thats awesome, I cant wait till May when I turn 18, then my pay rate gets doubled and I can make holiday and overtime pay =P
Old 01-04-2007, 08:16 AM

i love it. make about 8000 dollars a month and between insurance($100), food, and gas, i only spend about 200 a month

holy **** i wish i made $8000. I meant $800