Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Stock HU & RCA Cables

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock HU & RCA Cables

Hi,
I have a 2008 LS and im wondering if there are RCA cable attachments on the back for an amplifier. I'm not ready to buy a headunit yet and im wondering if this is possible. I know i can easily find an ignition source for the amp, but i don't want to pull the whole dash apart to find out the stock deck is useless. Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobaltchickk
Hi,
I have a 2008 LS and im wondering if there are RCA cable attachments on the back for an amplifier. I'm not ready to buy a headunit yet and im wondering if this is possible. I know i can easily find an ignition source for the amp, but i don't want to pull the whole dash apart to find out the stock deck is useless. Thanks
no there are no RCA attachments. Get yourself a Line Out Converter(LOC). this taps signal from one of your regular speakers and converts the speaker wire into RCA's so you can connect it to the amp. no need to remove the head unit
Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM

so since the rear speakers are in the trunk which is perfect, i buy one of these (LOC)'s, and attach it to one of the speakers( or both? ) and then im able to run RCA's straight to my amp? Where can i pull an ignition wire for the Remote turn on cable? And can i get one of those loc's at a local store like radio shack or best buy? Thanks
Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so since the rear speakers are in the trunk which is perfect, i buy one of these (LOC)'s, and attach it to one of the speakers( or both? ) and then im able to run RCA's straight to my amp? Where can i pull an ignition wire for the Remote turn on cable? And can i get one of those loc's at a local store like radio shack or best buy? Thanks
i recommend going to a local audio store to get the LOC(shouldnt be more than $15, best buy or radio shack will rip you off. the LOC has 4 wires coming out of it, they all connect to one speaker in the rear. then those RCA's go directly to the amp. for your ignition wire you need something called an Mini Add-A-Circuit. with this you will remove you passenger side fuse box cover and remove the wiper fuse. you will now place the Mini add-a-circuit into that wiper fuse slot with 2 mini ATM fuses inserted in it. Now on the end of the add-a-circuit there is a cable coming out, run the remote wire from your amp to this cable and crimp on both ends. now the amp will turn on when the key is turned to accessories or on.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 PM

I went out tonight and bought the LOC. It was like 27$ and its rated at 2x40 watts.

Anyways, i was hooking it up tonight and i think i installed it wrong because my bass wasn't playing. The rear trunk speakers are probably the problem. I applied a test light trying to find the ground and hot wires. One speaker had both grounds and the other had both hots. So what i did was just read the directions and hook both grounds up to the right speaker and hook both hots up to the left speaker. My amplifier was on and im pretty sure my power wire and grounds were fine.

What i don't get is how 2 grounds are powering a speaker? When i looked on diagrams on google, the connections to the speakers had 1 hot and 1 ground like usual.

I'm stumped and i don't know what to do. Can someone help me?
Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
LOC's arent rated by watts. thats a load of crap

could be wired wrong on the LOC. alot of them arent color coded in a pattern. the good ones usually will have them labeled for you but most of them are just pick and choose
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 AM

Are the speaker wiring diagrams/colors the same for the 2006 cobalt model?

I found this

LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash
Old 09-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
LOC's arent rated by watts. thats a load of crap

could be wired wrong on the LOC. alot of them arent color coded in a pattern. the good ones usually will have them labeled for you but most of them are just pick and choose
Listen to what this man says....
Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 AM

i understand what hes saying, but it would be nice to know which wires go to which so that im not cutting/stripping wires all day until the combination is right.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 PM

why not just put the loc in place in the trunk??? then pickin the wires....is easy
Old 09-16-2008, 12:47 PM

lol i feel like im in the twi-light zone or something...

I am referring to the speakers in the trunk. I got info. from another forum saying don't worry about positive and negative and just hook the wires up like it says ( to the left speaker and right speaker )

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f27/lo...7/#post5586057

Ill even take pictures if i can"t get it to work today
Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM

i have mine setup like this

runnin the rca's under my trunk mat

process of cleaning up wiring
Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Are the speaker wiring diagrams/colors the same for the 2006 cobalt model?

I found this

LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness or amp under driv dash
yes that correct for 90% of all chevy vehicles cobalt incuded

im not saying the wires on the car are done wrong necessarily but in the LOC they could be labled or throw togther wrong. about 30% of the ones ive used have been. the peeps/machines that make them in china are all fucked up