Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Stock Satellite (XM) Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
Stock Satellite (XM) Mounting

So I bought a Radio and Satellite Radio Reciever from a TC and now i need to know where to mount the Satellite recevier and where i can find the wire harness to go from the sat receiver to the radio.

I know the sillver (sat receiver) is mounted behind the rear seat. What I don't know is, does it go underneath the rear deack in the trunk or does it go just under the rear deck above the the trunk (like between the speakers)

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 03-08-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk to your dealership they should have any factory harnesses for you and could probably tell you the factory location for the sat too.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by stinkyfisherman
Talk to your dealership they should have any factory harnesses for you and could probably tell you the factory location for the sat too.
I dont have time during the week to do this and they are not open on sunday and they are only open on saturday, from 10-12 and thats only 1 saturday a month

All its going to take is for some one to look in their trunk and tell me if the silver box is in the trunk on the top. if not i know then that it goes under th rear deck

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 03-08-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2009, 11:40 AM

Ok..have an 08...here is the info you need:

The satellite receiver has a single bolt which attaches it to the metal part of the rear deck from the top down. You will need to remove your rear deck lid (bitch to do) by squeezing in the center and gently prying it from the corners/rim of the rear. Next, look between the rear speakers and you should see a bolt hole/bolt for the receiver. There will also be two tabs that side into a bracket(?) on the right that holds the unit in place. There is a harness that goes with the unit (the harness is pretty complicated). I have a feeling your vehicle is not pre-wired for this installation. I think you are looking at a consult with a dealer or professional installer for this. Let's put it this way....just changing out the stock system in my 08 was extremely complicated....I don't even want to imagine putting in anything for a car that isn't pre-wired....
Old 03-08-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
Ok..have an 08...here is the info you need:

The satellite receiver has a single bolt which attaches it to the metal part of the rear deck from the top down. You will need to remove your rear deck lid (bitch to do) by squeezing in the center and gently prying it from the corners/rim of the rear. Next, look between the rear speakers and you should see a bolt hole/bolt for the receiver. There will also be two tabs that side into a bracket(?) on the right that holds the unit in place. There is a harness that goes with the unit (the harness is pretty complicated). I have a feeling your vehicle is not pre-wired for this installation. I think you are looking at a consult with a dealer or professional installer for this. Let's put it this way....just changing out the stock system in my 08 was extremely complicated....I don't even want to imagine putting in anything for a car that isn't pre-wired....
Well I found the wire harness on gmpartsdirect.com and it seems like it should be pretty easy install. All I need to go buy is the harness that connects to the radio and the antenna wire and antenna. I already have the SS/TC radio. I'm not changing anything besides the radio, so its not going to be as hard of in install as it would be if I was going after market.

Last edited by blu3_v1p3r; 03-08-2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 AM

I would still get this professionally installed... for the 08 everything runs through the radio (hence why changing out the hu is such a pain)... Never heard of putting an 08 radio in a different car though so you may be right.... just be prepared in case you get in over your head....
Old 03-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
I would still get this professionally installed... for the 08 everything runs through the radio (hence why changing out the hu is such a pain)... Never heard of putting an 08 radio in a different car though so you may be right.... just be prepared in case you get in over your head....
Its the same system in the 07 and the 08 every thing runs through it... door chimes and all the little beeps and noises the car makes... the part number the for the radio with MP3 player is the same for the 08 and 07s and i've seen people put the mp3 player radio in the models with out it with out any trouble other then the radio being locked. All I need it the rest of the wires and antenna.

I'm also going to see if i can get my hands on the stock sub enclosure, so I can make my trunk functinal again.

I had an after market hu in my car for a few months but it just kinda ruined the flow of the interior. For that hu i had bought a harness that was just under $200 and it worked perfectly. I've installed a radios, and none were acutally that hard. This car is just as easy if you have the rights parts.