Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Stuck on an Alarm install...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stuck on an Alarm install...

Alight so I got ballsy and started installing my Python 990. I called it quits for the night, but it's going alright. One thing I'm stuck on though is the door locks. I have aftermarket actuators with relays set up to it so when wire 1 is grounded, it locks, and when wire 2 is grounded, it unlocks.

Now all the python 990 has, as it says from the install guide, is:

Code:
| 1 |    LIGHT BLUE      (+) LOCK (-) UNLOCK OUTPUT
| 2 |    EMPTY             NOT USED
| 3 |    GREEN           (-) LOCK (+) UNLOCK OUTPUT
And it says that only 1 or 3 is used at once. Not both.
So what is the best way to go and make this work? I appreciate any help in advance.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:40 PM

Have you considered just using some type of bypass. I just did my redline and we always use bypasses from idatalink.com that have an interface to control doorlocks, trunk, passlock, etc... I can't help you much on this one because I used the bypass to do my doorlocks and I've only worked with compustar. They are super easy on these cars, tie into one wire on the OBD2 connector and it controls many functions. It's just a suggestion but if you're really stuck they will save you a lot of headaches and wiring.

From what you've posted it's looking like your python is flipping polarity for lock outputs... you will need to setup some relays to get both lock and unlock to work. If you need help figuring out how to do the relays post back and i'll see if i can come up with something.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by raptors_67
Have you considered just using some type of bypass. I just did my redline and we always use bypasses from idatalink.com that have an interface to control doorlocks, trunk, passlock, etc... I can't help you much on this one because I used the bypass to do my doorlocks and I've only worked with compustar. They are super easy on these cars, tie into one wire on the OBD2 connector and it controls many functions. It's just a suggestion but if you're really stuck they will save you a lot of headaches and wiring.

From what you've posted it's looking like your python is flipping polarity for lock outputs... you will need to setup some relays to get both lock and unlock to work. If you need help figuring out how to do the relays post back and i'll see if i can come up with something.
Well the thing is that I have aftermarket 2-wire actuators because I have a base model that did not come with power locks or factory alarm standard. I was doing some research and hard thinking and I figured out that I do have to use both of the wires together (DOH! ) since it is flipping the polarity. Now, the actuators work the same way: flipping the polarity locks/unlocks; but there are two relays already set up to them and it ends up being a three wire system (+12V, ground for lock, ground for unlock).

So, now my question is can I just connect the alarm's lock/unlock output directly to the actuator's 2 wires BEFORE the relay and still have the relay connected afterwards, or will I need more relays? (can the alarm power the actuators directly) I'm thinking that I may need 2 diodes... but I'm not sure. I was up until 5AM working on it and I gotta head out to work now so I'm running on 2 hours of sleep. haha

Thanks for the reply. I REALLY appreciate it.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Since you already have relays for the actuator,just hook the alarm wires directly to the wires on the relays.You should have 2 relays,one for lock and one for unlock.Just take the two wires from the alarm and connect one to the lock relay,and the other one to the unlock relay.If the locks work backwards,just switch the wires.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:02 AM

Alright so I figured out the door locks...now I've ran into another problem. I'm trying to wire the door trigger switches to the alarm. The switches show ground when the door is open and +12V when the door is closed. The problem is that it doesn't seem like the current being supplied by the switches is enough. It won't power a relay and the alarm can't "see" it. Any ideas?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kkanowitz
Alright so I figured out the door locks...now I've ran into another problem. I'm trying to wire the door trigger switches to the alarm. The switches show ground when the door is open and +12V when the door is closed. The problem is that it doesn't seem like the current being supplied by the switches is enough. It won't power a relay and the alarm can't "see" it. Any ideas?
I dont know exactly what wire, but a buddy of mine does installs and he always said he used the dome light to trigger it, when the doors open, dome light comes on.... i dont know if that will work but maybe it will give you an idea. once you get it all done, you should do an how to for the rest of us.....Good luck
Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by raptors_67
+1 to iDatalink!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rick1217
I dont know exactly what wire, but a buddy of mine does installs and he always said he used the dome light to trigger it, when the doors open, dome light comes on.... i dont know if that will work but maybe it will give you an idea. once you get it all done, you should do an how to for the rest of us.....Good luck
That's what I first did, but I was worried that the factory dome-supervision that the cobalt has might interfere. But now that I think about it, the dome light fades off after the doors close and doesn't come back on until a door is opened, so it should be okay... I'll probably just do that. Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by Omega_5
+1 to iDatalink!!!
Yea, but it really isn't necessary since I have a base model. I have aftermarket lock actuators and the only thing I need to bypass is the ignition, which I already have the bypass module for.

Thanks a lot guys...I might post later on. After school all I have to do is set up the remote start. If anyone else has suggestions for installing the remote start, I'm using the DEI 556UW bypass module. While I'm thinking about it, whats the best way to pull the steering column cover apart?
Old 12-04-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kkanowitz
That's what I first did, but I was worried that the factory dome-supervision that the cobalt has might interfere. But now that I think about it, the dome light fades off after the doors close and doesn't come back on until a door is opened, so it should be okay... I'll probably just do that. Thanks a lot!

yeah, its like a 30sec delay right?? Does the alarm have a delay? when you arm it, it should wait like 30sec-1min til its armed, right?? I believe thats how my friends alarm on his cavy was set up.... cause his dome light stayed on too.... Good luck
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM

Theres only 1 problem when hooking it up to the dome light.When you arm the car,the alarm will beep more than once telling you that you left the door open.Some alarms have a delay and some dont.The current coming out of the door pin switches should be enough to trigger the alarm.Are you sure the alarm works properly?Take the pin switch wire from the alarm,arm the alarm,wait like 5 seconds and touch the wire to ground.The alarm should go off.You do know that there are 2 wires for the door triggers right?one for the drivers door and one for the pass door.You need to diode isolate the wires for it to work properly.And there is no starter wire for the car.You have to get a relay and interupt the ignition wire for it to remote start.Its not that bad,but it will be a pain in the ass if you havent installed an alarm before.