Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Sub Compatibility??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub Compatibility??

Hey guys.

My cobalt has been through a few different audio set-ups. I have the factory MP3 Pioneer set-up. At first I added my Infinity Perfect 10 pair to the mix with the stock radio. It was good, but with the stock radio, wasn't worth the weight. Then I took those out and ran stock. After that, I replaced the stock radio with a Kenwood. It sounded really good, but had no extra subs at this time, so it wasn't worth it. So I took it out. Now, I'm looking into getting my friends kicker set-up (2 kicker 12's with a dual box and like 1000 watt amp for next to nothing, and then pairing it with a new Alpine radio. However, I still will have my factory Pioneer speakers w/ factory amp. Will this work properly? And will it then just use all 3 subs like you'd figure? I've never really tried messing with a factory up-level stereo before majorly like this.

Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
WTF? lol um dont run 2 12s and a 10 it will sound shitty... using a aftermarket deck with stock speakers usually works but if you are interested in better sound id suggest an upgrade. Run it with the stock ones first thou and see what happens
Old 11-15-2007, 02:03 PM

You didn't read the post. I said I had the stock Pioneer speakers. Not Delco. Regardless, I also said I previously had a Kenwood CD player WITH my Pioneer factory speakers and it sounded good.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 AM

i know what u said... a bunch of different sizes of subs mixed in a single airspace (cabin of the car) playing the same feqs are going to sound shitty.

and i know u have the stock pioneer speakers. they arent the **** just better then regulars... they cant handle much power and a aftermarket deck puts out more then the stock setup (depending on how u hook up thou) so replacing is always a plus. i know u said u like the sound but honestly your post makes no damn sense. If it sounded that good why take out the kenwood? Can you try wording ur original post better if u want more help... if all u wanted to know was if it would sound good then the answer is no.... it should work and run thou
Old 11-17-2007, 11:06 AM

Look. What I planned to do is this. The radio will have a sub controller, so I can just turn the power of the 12's down. It's not a big deal. I am not a fan of big huge annoying rattling bass. I like quality. The Infinity subs were perfect, but at the time (I had a full-time project car on the side) the cash was a much better option. Regardless, all I need to know is if it'll work. If it will, ok. If not, ok. But it will, so no big deal. I can mess around with it and go from there. Plus, the radio and subs will be removed when I'm done with the Cobalt and be put into my next car anyway (which won't have a factory sub) so it'll work perfectly then. Hell, I may get them, not like them that much, and just re-sell them. Who knows. And the reason I took out my Kenwood was because the button for the track change was a little flimsy (looked great, but felt like it'd break if I pushed too hard), and a tiny bit of a faulty wiring issue. No big deal. Plus, I also have an IPod now (had a Zune before), so the alpine IPod interface will work perfectly too!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:55 AM

cool sounds like a plan... but ill let you know again that mixing ant matching sub sizes playing the same freqs will usually sound shitty
Old 11-19-2007, 02:22 AM

I'll post up when it goes down!