Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Switched power source

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switched power source

I'm in the middle of replacing my stock fog lights with piaa's. In order to wire them in I need a power, a ground and a switched power source. Anyone have a good idea as to what to tap into for the switched source. I want to be able to use them whenever I want to and not be restricted by what lights I have on. The manual says to tap into the high or low beams but then they only work when that light is on. The wire for the switched source actually comes off the supplied on/off switch for the piaa's, so should I tap into something in the cabin of the car or something in the engine bay.
This way be out there, but if its just a turn on wire, does it require alot of amps, if not in theory could I not hook it up to the remote turn on from my HU?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Did you go to school to become that funny?
I know it must must have been that class in high school Clown 101, I wondered what they taught in that class

I DID USE THE SEARCH TOOL. I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR 3 DAYS BEFORE I FINALLY BROKE DOWN AND MADE A THREAD ABOUT IT
If there is some thread that answers all the questions I asked then enlighten me would ya!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...switched+power
took me 10 sec
bye

i am zee winner!

Originally Posted by Spun
Did you go to school to become that funny?
I know it must must have been that class in high school Clown 101, I wondered what they taught in that class

I DID USE THE SEARCH TOOL. I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR 3 DAYS BEFORE I FINALLY BROKE DOWN AND MADE A THREAD ABOUT IT
If there is some thread that answers all the questions I asked then enlighten me would ya!
damn, i guess i must have some SICK searching skill!

Last edited by originaladrian; 03-05-2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Sorry I was putting "Fog Lights" in as my search
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 PM

its ok
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM

If your replacing your stock foglights,why not use the existing wires?Thats what i would do.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ptrblkz24
If your replacing your stock foglights,why not use the existing wires?Thats what i would do.
I dont think the LS models even had the wiring But LT models did. I know for sure that some members did not have the preexisting wiring/
Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 PM

Mines an SS/SC with all the wires there
If you guys or ANYONE knows howe to interface aftermarket fogs (PIAA 004 XT) with the stock wiring I'm all ears, cuz with the remote bass knob from my x-over, the mic from my bluetooth and now another switch for fog lights (this one lights up and everything) I might just fill that empty spot where the bowtie used to be with a big fat H and call myself Jonny. All I need is the bigest airfreshner money can buy and a couple of dozen little stuffed toys up on my dash and I'm set.
But all kidding aside, the thing I'm stuck on is the relay, I know there one with the stock lights, can hear it clicking when the fog lights turn on/off, But how powerfull is it, will it support the PIAA's?
I had open a thread asking this question a while ago and someone said pigtails was the way it was done. But I was Thinking of just hardwiring the aftermarket ones right in.
Any help in this area would be great, I'm pulling my f**king hair out over here.

FYI- when you take the stockers out theres a little plastic insert that covers them, this is actually what you see from the front of the car, The 004 XT's fit in to that insert like a glove. The only way you can tell that there aftermarket is when you get close and read the PIAA written on the glass

One more thing I'm only replacing the fog lights because mine cracked and eventually shattered from the inside , the glass on the outside is still smooth but of course GM didn't even bother to give my a courtesy spit before they raped me over the warranty, Road strikes, the glass is still perfect on the outside.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
Mines an SS/SC with all the wires there
If you guys or ANYONE knows howe to interface aftermarket fogs (PIAA 004 XT) with the stock wiring I'm all ears, cuz with the remote bass knob from my x-over, the mic from my bluetooth and now another switch for fog lights (this one lights up and everything) I might just fill that empty spot where the bowtie used to be with a big fat H and call myself Jonny. All I need is the bigest airfreshner money can buy and a couple of dozen little stuffed toys up on my dash and I'm set.
But all kidding aside, the thing I'm stuck on is the relay, I know there one with the stock lights, can hear it clicking when the fog lights turn on/off, But how powerfull is it, will it support the PIAA's?
I had open a thread asking this question a while ago and someone said pigtails was the way it was done. But I was Thinking of just hardwiring the aftermarket ones right in.
Any help in this area would be great, I'm pulling my f**king hair out over here.

FYI- when you take the stockers out theres a little plastic insert that covers them, this is actually what you see from the front of the car, The 004 XT's fit in to that insert like a glove. The only way you can tell that there aftermarket is when you get close and read the PIAA written on the glass

One more thing I'm only replacing the fog lights because mine cracked and eventually shattered from the inside , the glass on the outside is still smooth but of course GM didn't even bother to give my a courtesy spit before they raped me over the warranty, Road strikes, the glass is still perfect on the outside.

Its easy.Theres just 2 wires,power and ground.Get a test light and see which wire is hot when you turn the fogs on.Connect that to the positive and the other wire to ground.Dont worry about the toggle swicth or the relay that comes with the fogs,cause you dont need them.Youll be using the stock foglight relay and your good to go.When conecting the wires to the factory fog wires,i wouldnt cut off the plug if i were you.Just skin it right before the plug.This way if u ever wanna go back to the stock fogs,u can just plug them in.Put enough electrical tape to protect the connections,tuck the harness and call it a day.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:53 PM

Oh man you just save me so much work!
You rock
Thanks

One more question
If i stick the ends of the multi meter in tho the harness, then it should give me a reading if its neg then I've got it backwards just flip them around or do I have to find a seperate ground source and then probe
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Yeah,just ground one of the probes and test the harness.You can also do it at the plug.Im pretty sure the multimeter will give you a - reading if the leads are backwards.