Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Is ther any way to disable RAP? (Retained Accessory Power)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is ther any way to disable RAP? (Retained Accessory Power)?

i have a compustart remote start/ alarm and also an aftermarket HU.. How my remote start works, when i take the key out of the ignition, the car is still on til i get out and close the door.. now since the rap feature thinks the car is still on and i open the door, the radio stays on, even when the car turns off.. is there any way to disable/work around this?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the engine is on, then no. all switched power sources will still have power if the engine is on.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
if the engine is on, then no. all switched power sources will still have power if the engine is on.
i understand that, but what about when the engine turns off? my radio is still on..
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 PM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong....but I think that there is a fuse for the RAP...maybe you could just pull the fuse??
Old 03-11-2009, 01:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
if you can find the fuse id say go for it but i don't think there is one. otherwise you can always go aftermarket
Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The radio staying on or the RAP feature is all programable with the compustars, yours is just set to default, get the guys who installed it to hook an OP500 (option programer) up to it and fix the problem. They can set the dsoor locks (drivers side priority) and also turn the horn honk on or off, along with whatever other features your alarm has. Thats the great thing about compustarts, you can program them to do so many things. Mine has the option for remote unlock, I can phone in a pin # and the system will unlock my doors, incase I ever lock the keys in the car. However since I need the remote to lock the doors I don't see how this will hapen but still cool to have

When I first got mine we had the problem that when I disarmed the car the radio would turn on and not shut off until I opened the drivers side door, it was a little wierd if I went to the passenger side first (since I can't use the trunk my back seats have to act like it for grocery's and whatnot) by the time I got to the drivers side my stereo would kick in, and if I used the ATT button when I pulled into whatever place I was going then of course it would be cranked up high and scar the sh*t out of me

I'm pretty sure that RAP fuse is vital to the alarm and I think if you pull it, the alarm will not function as it should, same with the remote start
Old 03-11-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
The radio staying on or the RAP feature is all programable with the compustars, yours is just set to default, get the guys who installed it to hook an OP500 (option programer) up to it and fix the problem. They can set the dsoor locks (drivers side priority) and also turn the horn honk on or off, along with whatever other features your alarm has. Thats the great thing about compustarts, you can program them to do so many things. Mine has the option for remote unlock, I can phone in a pin # and the system will unlock my doors, incase I ever lock the keys in the car. However since I need the remote to lock the doors I don't see how this will hapen but still cool to have

When I first got mine we had the problem that when I disarmed the car the radio would turn on and not shut off until I opened the drivers side door, it was a little wierd if I went to the passenger side first (since I can't use the trunk my back seats have to act like it for grocery's and whatnot) by the time I got to the drivers side my stereo would kick in, and if I used the ATT button when I pulled into whatever place I was going then of course it would be cranked up high and scar the sh*t out of me

I'm pretty sure that RAP fuse is vital to the alarm and I think if you pull it, the alarm will not function as it should, same with the remote start
hmm.. i actually asked the installers about this and they had no idea how to disable this.. maybe i should email compustar unless you have instructions on how to do this?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VeNoM0713
i have a compustart remote start/ alarm and also an aftermarket HU.. How my remote start works, when i take the key out of the ignition, the car is still on til i get out and close the door.. now since the rap feature thinks the car is still on and i open the door, the radio stays on, even when the car turns off.. is there any way to disable/work around this?
To fix this problem, take it to your installer and have them wire up the "ground out when armed" output from the wiring of the compustar brain and have them tie that wire into your driver side door pin. What happens in this case is once you are out of the vehicle and you close the door(s) the car turns off and is set into "ready mode" and the alarm arms itselfs and locks the vehicle, the compustar at this time during arming will now send a ground pulse to the driver door pin quickly making the car believe that a door is open/then shut and the radio turns off. You can take my word on this that this is the correct way to do this. I have been in the mobile electronics industry for 13 years now.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Angel
To fix this problem, take it to your installer and have them wire up the "ground out when armed" output from the wiring of the compustar brain and have them tie that wire into your driver side door pin. What happens in this case is once you are out of the vehicle and you close the door(s) the car turns off and is set into "ready mode" and the alarm arms itselfs and locks the vehicle, the compustar at this time during arming will now send a ground pulse to the driver door pin quickly making the car believe that a door is open/then shut and the radio turns off. You can take my word on this that this is the correct way to do this. I have been in the mobile electronics industry for 13 years now.
is it going to take a while to do this or can this be done in a few minutes?

EDIT: i went down there today and they said they can try it but there might be an issue because i have a standard? does it matter that i hae a standard? and also, would they be able to set it up so my doors unlock when i turn the car off? keep in mind the car is still running when my key is out of the ignition.. and also, how about removing the headlight flashes when i lock/unlock, remote start my car? i have hids and supposedly its not good for the bulbs to be going on and off like that.. thanks for the help

Last edited by VeNoM0713; 03-12-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Angel
This is a very, VERY late reply to this posting but happened to catch this mistake while browsing. Do NOT use the "ground when armed" to resolve the RAP turnoff. Instead, use the "factory alarm disarm" wire. Diode isolate this wire so that when the system is armed it sends a pulse to both the factory disarm wire as usual (if needed), and also to the driver door pin. Depending on the current draw and the amount of current available from the "factory alarm disarm" wire from the rs brain, you may need to wire in a relay to accomplish pulsing both wires. If you were to wire in the GWA (ground when armed) to the door pin, this would turn off the RAP without a doubt, but the wire stays active the entire time the system is armed effectively making the rs trick the car in to thinking the driver door is open at all times.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:01 AM

Assuming they're using a BladeAL Bypass module (Compustar has a slot on the brain for them to slide into) there will be a RAP wire that needs to be wired into the drivers side door at the BCM. I believe its Orange/Black.