Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

For those of you wanting to put an SS sub box in a LT or LS!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey guys the battery has rundown protection. So the battery wouldnt die. Unless you did like me and dont drive your car for a couple weeks in the dead of winter with -40F / C tempuratures LOL
Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 PM

true. very cold + batteries = bad
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 PM

Looks good. I've always wanted to do this.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by thesteed46
the lights can and will take voltage from the cap.

do you even know what a caps purpose is??
I am 100% certain what a caps purpose is sir. I've seen many in action. and it does actually create extra drag on a battery. do you assume that the power that goes into a capacitor just stays there if nothing is on the other end taking that energy? at any point, that capacitor is actually adding drag onto the battery.

Your right in that the goal of a cap is to in essence stabilize the voltage for consistency and it does so pretty well, but it's not the RIGHT way to do it. It's a bandaid not a solution. most people confuse it as being the right solution.

this is what im saying:

using a high efficiency class a/b and a class d high efficiency switching amp is a good smart starting point. this way your amp's aren't "eating up gas(electricity) faster than an old station wagon with its A/C turned on." class d mono amp's are switching amps. which means the class d sub amps are essentially already doing what a capacitor does. it collects energy, discharges it, then collects and discharges again. hell i've(STUPIDLY and kinda on purpose to test this) unplugged my brutus from the main power line mid bass tone to find out it'll continue to discharge until it's used up its stored power, and turn off once it tries to switch and collect more. so..... that's for starters.

as i also said before, it's actually a drag on the system. read HERE
that's for seconds.

also, a GOOD SOLUTION would be a good battery or even a power cell upgrade. as mentioned in that link, a good brand of power cells would be: Kinetik Power Cells
that'd be even better for one of the better solutions.

a GOOD SOLUTION would be to do the "Big 3". Here is a description: LINK

a GOOD SOLUTION would be an alternator upgrade or even adding a second alternator like empjj did. This would ensure that when your vehicle is on, it could handle pretty much handle anything and SUSTAIN it for longer periods.

if your lights are dimming just using 400w(rms or max? either way), it sounds like your amp is inefficient with its energy usage. I've been there to be honest. Even good brands sometimes make pretty inefficient stuff. i'm running stock battery with all my equipment and my lights don't dim. I know that for sure. Rattles like ****, but doesn't dim. and i've let it sit outside playing music with the car off in accessory position and lights on stereo going.....for about an hour once. car cranked just fine. and i know it wasn't close to completely drained because my carpc's power supply would send the hibernate command if the voltage dropped below i think like a 10v threshold for a consistent amount of time, which would turn off my amp's along with it.

I don't mean to be a hater dude. I just know my ****.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 PM

thats some good info.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 PM

ok mr. smartypants i think i know everything.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:25 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol yall need to chill ax. im pretty sure ctcsoccer7 knows whats up. only thing that "might" discredit him is its far as hell from the amp
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 PM

Sorry I came off how I did.

To be honest, overall I like what you've done and how cleanly you did everything. definitely shows the time you put into it to making it look professional and good. Put more effort into making it look professional than I did, and I praise that.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont remember where but i read somewhere that car audio batteries are like 2,000+ farads...and a normal capacitor is 1-10 farad
Old 06-13-2009, 01:22 AM

lol kinetik's marketing i try not to pay attention to the word farad very often... more times then not it leads to bad things

Originally Posted by jschatte
hey guys the battery has rundown protection. So the battery wouldnt die. Unless you did like me and dont drive your car for a couple weeks in the dead of winter with -40F / C tempuratures LOL
lol the batt protection works but isn't 100% even at high temps.

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 06-13-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by thesteed46
maybe not but what if he accidently leaves his lights on?? without it he'd have a dead battery. caps can serve more than one purpose
glad im not the only person who believes that!

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
lol yall need to chill ax. im pretty sure ctcsoccer7 knows whats up. only thing that "might" discredit him is its far as hell from the amp
i know what your saying , but it is still within range to serve a purpose. plus it was a sweet ass spot to put it. DISCREDIT my ass!

Originally Posted by warrenb213
Sorry I came off how I did.

To be honest, overall I like what you've done and how cleanly you did everything. definitely shows the time you put into it to making it look professional and good. Put more effort into making it look professional than I did, and I praise that.
thanks , thats why i became an installer, to do CLEAN installs instead of CIRCUIT SHITTYS idea of CLEAN, wait didnt they go out of buisness! this got out of hand quick though, i welcome critics but just please dont talk to me like im a NOOB, i was just trying to show my work and this went to a "WHO KNOWS WHAT " thread. I know im not the only person who knows about car audio, but geeeezzzz!

Last edited by ctcsoccer7; 06-13-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM

lol ill agree thats the best place to put it visually but not the "best" performance wise. it will still work thou. id gladly have that as the only "issue" with my install
Old 06-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
lol ill agree thats the best place to put it visually but not the "best" performance wise. it will still work thou. id gladly have that as the only "issue" with my install
yeah FO SHO!