Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Too many rattles!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many rattles!!

Any pointers on derattling the car? I just installed 2 Alpine type R 12" and an Alpine V12 600w amp. There is a lot of stuff where the back seat latches and under the dash somewhere there is something jiggled loose. Is there any common cures? Everything feels tight and its too loud to pinpoint with the bass cranked. Thanks guys!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup. get rid of it all no rattle and weight reduction!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Almost imposible you would need a secound morgage to dyna mat the whole car. LOL Mine rattles with the stock sub.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Banned

drink green tea
Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 PM

what did you expect ? seriously second skin or dynamat shouldve been a given with that type of a setup !!! its gunna be needed everywhere back there !! and thats not even gaurenteed to fix it all. congrats on the system
Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 PM

green tea FTW!!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by bryce712
what did you expect ? seriously second skin or dynamat shouldve been a given with that type of a setup !!! its gunna be needed everywhere back there !! and thats not even gaurenteed to fix it all. congrats on the system
I am not really sure what I expected. I have a friend that needed money so I bought his stuff. I really do not know a lot about the whole stereo thing I have always been into performance.

So I am going to have to dynamat the whole thing...huh? I used stuff called lizard skin on the inside of the roof of my truck because of the drone my stacks made. Maybe that stuff will work. It just seems to me the rattling came from seat brackets or something like that, but it all seems tight.

Now I want to do the DVD player and replace all the other factory speakers.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:45 PM

I've got 2 layers of Dynamat/Hush mat in my trunk and it still rattles.
The two major ones are
1(inside) the rear deck lid, the child seat lock latches should be open to stop them from rattling, if you dont want to spend money on dynamat then shove some towels under the rear deck lid to hold it up, its flexing from the sound preasure and rattling, the worst spot is right where it meets the window.

2(outside/inside) on the pasenger side, in the space where the stock sub is on the other side (right behind the wheel well, if you pull up the carpet your see a black plastic square in the wall of the trunk, its a vent to allow air to escape when you close the doors, it has to go it sounds awful from the outside, downright embarassing, I took it out, put a piece of Hush mat over top of the hole, poked a few holes in it and then taped some mesh screen over that (for the bugs). Turn you system up and stand outside on the pasenger side and you'll understand, just think everytime you turn it up thats what everyone on the outside hears.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 PM

take the subs out...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BLKLS
take the subs out...
Not an option..... smartass

Spun... thanks for the info. I found what I thought was something in the dash was actually the mirror. I would have sworn it was inside somewhere. The child latches flipped themselves up... I thought it was kinda funny. The deck lid is making a lot of noise at certain frequencies. I guess its dynamat time. I will defiantly check it out from the passenger side. Thanks for the great tips
Old 12-13-2008, 08:27 PM

i just did my sound system.......dynamat the doors, trunk lid, and trunk.......all you need is the door kit and trunk kit thats 32sq ft if im not mistaken

......should run around 200 bucks........o ya get the extreme dynamat

zero rattle when i did it :-)
Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 PM

I've done 3 layers of dynamat extreme along the trunk lid and rear deck and 2 layers of the cheap fatmat on the floor of the trunk. I've done 2 layers in the doors.

I had a 12" massive audio dmx stage 2 that would do about 144db at the dash and i still get rattles from the spoiler and the rear deck.

Unless you want to buy like 300 cans of insultation foam, rattles are to be expected.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:10 AM

The deck lid is making a lot of noise at certain frequencies
Thats cuz the decklid or the frame part of the deck lid is not one piece, it two pieces of metal together, on on top of each other and if there welded together its only in a few spots, so the sound your hearing at certain freq. is the two pices of metal vibrating together. That and the seat belt holders, and if you have XM radio the reciever for the XM is back there to and it rattles because its only bolted in at one end the other end just slips into a slot in the metal.

But yeah, the car is a rattle factory, its a full time job tracking them down and killing them, but just as ones gone another one pops up
Old 12-14-2008, 12:15 AM

DONT BUY DYNAMAT!!! i was going to to this same route but i learned from several other members that they have put layer after layer and for the rear deck lid, it still doesn't do anything...one member suggested putting towels under the rear deck lid so i took his advise, except i used old t-shirts and it worked like a f@*kin charm!! nothing rattles in the back now expect my rear defroster piece which has just come a little loose...easy fix tho. I recommend trying this first and if it doesn't eliminate most of the rattles in the rear then u might want to consider dynamat. I'm very glad i asked other members before i went out and spent like 200 bucks on something that didn't help them
Old 12-14-2008, 12:22 AM

im telling you guys just getting rid of it all is soooooooo much better
Old 12-14-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Spun
I've got 2 layers of Dynamat/Hush mat in my trunk and it still rattles.
The two major ones are
1(inside) the rear deck lid, the child seat lock latches should be open to stop them from rattling, if you dont want to spend money on dynamat then shove some towels under the rear deck lid to hold it up, its flexing from the sound preasure and rattling, the worst spot is right where it meets the window.

2(outside/inside) on the pasenger side, in the space where the stock sub is on the other side (right behind the wheel well, if you pull up the carpet your see a black plastic square in the wall of the trunk, its a vent to allow air to escape when you close the doors, it has to go it sounds awful from the outside, downright embarassing, I took it out, put a piece of Hush mat over top of the hole, poked a few holes in it and then taped some mesh screen over that (for the bugs). Turn you system up and stand outside on the pasenger side and you'll understand, just think everytime you turn it up thats what everyone on the outside hears.
lol you need to get some more in that case

i should start selling second skin on css no?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
lol you need to get some more in that case

i should start selling second skin on css no?
yes you should !!!