Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

UPDATED General Stereo FAQ - READ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by danpluso
Hey guys I have a 2010 Cobalt LT and I was wondering what harness to get.

I don't have the pioneer system or OnStar. I have the stock deck with USB and XM radio. I don't really care about the XM radio since I won't be paying for it once my trial is up.

I have seen three different Metra harnesses mentioned
-Metra 71-2104 (This one is listed on the Metra site)
-Metra 70-2202 (This one was mentioned here)
-Metra 70-2104 (This one was mentioned by anther poster here)
I did see a post about it here, but can't seem to find it among all the pages now.

So which one is the one I need to get for my stock deck with USB and AUX input?

My other question is what will be lost with these harnesses? You say only the door chime and turn signal sounds will be lost. Is that even true for a 2010? Is that the only downside with not going the GMOS-LAN way? $100 for a harness to make door chimes and turn signal clicks seems like a waste of money. Surely there are more downsides with going the cheap harness route. Will there be any DIC problems with a 2010?

For the Fuse-Tap, is there a certain fuse I should use so I can still listen to tunes when I remove the key but don't open the door?

For the record, I have a Kenwood KDC-X693 deck.

Is the Antenna adapter only needed for listening to the radio?
the 2104 is the correct cheap harness the 2202 was the only one released when this thread was first made and i cant edit it so.

in your case the only downsides of the cheap harness are door chimes, turn signal sounds and having to find your own acc

them general upsides of the gm lan are ease of installation, guaranteed rap for the acc, vss/reverse in the harness, onstar, and interfacing with the stock pioneer amp. is it worth 100? yes. for what it does and what it is its absolutely worth 100 dollars BUT not everyone uses or needs every one of those features.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 AM
danpluso

Okay so do I need the 71-2104 or the 70-2104? Is there any difference?

Excuse my ignorance but what is vss/reverse?

Is the antenna adapter only needed for listening to FM and AM stations?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:20 AM

the 71 2104 is the reverse harness for re installing the harness if you cut it off. the 70 2104 is the normal harness needed for installing an aftermarket radio

vss/reverse are for navigation screen units with a back up cam

antenna adapter is only needed for am fm radio. i actually dont have one in my car atm
Old 01-15-2011, 06:18 AM
danpluso

Okay thanks for the help! This thread was very helpful!

Do you know which fuse would be best to fuse-tap? I do have a multimeter so I can poke around and see which fuse would work the best.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 AM
danpluso

Just talked to a salesperson who was assuring me that using the cheap harness will not work at all with my 2010 Cobalt. He said that using the cheap harness will make all the dash lights stay on and wreck stuff. If that is the case then just simply unplugging the stock head unit should cause the same problem. If everything works without the stock head unit then there should be no problem with using the cheap harness since it really only gives you ground and power.

I'm a little worried about voiding my warranty though. I just can't see spending $60+ for something I could easily do in under 30 minutes. If I ever needed major warranty work, do you think I could just throw the stock unit back in and they wouldn't know any better? I don't see how I could void the warranty by installing an aftermarket deck if I installed it correctly and everything worked fine. If I have electrical problems two years down the road (for example) are they going to blame it on my aftermarket deck and deny me warranty service?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just really not sure what I should do.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:29 AM

good plan... regarding the warranty thou its really dependent on how much of a douche the person u talk to at the dealership is, can a radio void your warranty no but does that mean they will blame it on the radio? absolutely. a receipt from a actual audio shop might help said fight if it happens
Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 AM
danpluso

Just have one more question about the harnesses.

I'm thinking about going with the LAN-03 or PAC harness. Cars worth thousands so I might as well stop being cheap and just get the expensive harness.

Crutchfield.com says the LAN-03 is not compatible with the stock deck (no onstar).

Since my stock deck does not have onstar is the PAC harness my only choice or will the LAN-03 still work?

If the LAN-03 will work, which one should I get? I found both on ebay for a bit cheaper then crutchfield. PAC for $80 (vs $130) and Metra for $100 (vs $140).
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM

the lan 03 should be jsut fine. i personally recommend metra because ive had great luck with their modules and thats that. Ive only used a few pac modules and they have worked good too but a few people online have had trouble with them. (it could be user error thou which most cases it is) so its really up to you. I dont think either one would be bad as long as u read the instructions on them
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the whole thread last night but I still have some questions. I have an 07 ls w/o pioneer or onstar and I plan on getting a pioneer avh-p3200bt or avh-p4200dvd. So to my understanding, I could get the metra gmos-lan-03 or the pac cr2-gm11 harnesses to keep chime but I really only need the pac. To my understanding these only give the chime if the sound is run through the stock speaker wiring correct? So then if I were to later replace the stock speakers and add amps and a sub through the pre-amp outputs on the HU, would this make the pac module obsolete because the chimes would not run through the radio, or how does that work? and if they still work, does this mean that if i turn up my music the volume of the chimes go up as well?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 PM

Bump???

waiting on reply to order parts...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:38 PM

the GMOS module still uses the stock speaker for chimes and yes if you turn up the chimes you turn up the music. (the control is for overall volume, meaning you set the chimes to the volume you want and your music is limited to that volume sorta... the volume knob on the radio will still work but if you set the chimes very quiet your music wont get loud and visa versa if your music can get loud the chimes will be loud too)

If you plan on running a 4 channel down the road you would need to buy either the metra chime speaker or any other random speaker to produce the chimes. but that would give you independent chime/speaker control
Old 02-09-2011, 07:19 PM

Do you know if this would this be the same case with the PAC. Cuz I've been seeing lower prices with that one?

btw thanks for the help Emp
Old 02-09-2011, 11:47 PM

that i dont know. i think the pac might have its own speaker for chimes but idk honestly

IMO if you plan on getting an amp in the future. the amp has to bypass any module unit anyway (if you run that much power thru it its not going to like it) so if your serious on the amp deal i would say forget the chimes and go with the cheap harness
Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 AM

idk i don't look at my dic very often so i kinda like the chimes to notify me. Turn signals i don't really care about, its more about the car notifying me of things. I guess it just depends on how much i can get the avh-p3200dvd for. Then from there i'll decide if i just get the basic harness or a module.

Also with the basic/cheap harness do you keep the retained accessory power? and besides chimes, what other advantages are there to the moduled harnesses?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 AM

in your situation the only advantage would be chimes and rap/acc.

If your balt has power locks and windows then theres a good chance that ur sunroof and wiper fuse have rap. if its all manual then neither do.

I agree that chimes are nice. most don't like them at all but i'm glad i still have mine. BUT in the end its going to be like 150+ to keep basically only chimes. and realistically all aftermarket module harnesses have horrible sounding chimes.

like in my car the only wire i'm using in my harness is the constant. so even the cheap harness is really a waste for my situation. If your getting an amp IMO the module harness would be a waste for your situation.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 AM

hmmm dam, well I guess I'll just stick with the basic harness and if i feel i really absolutely can't live without the chimes i'll dish out for the metra. Thanks again man.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 AM

So wait... i KNOW you, the audio guru of css.net, are amped. How did you keep your chimes, a seperate speaker or what?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:09 AM

i have a 2006... 05 and 06 balts dont have the chimes out of the speaker. as far as i can tell they come from the speedo
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Hey, just wanted to post an update about my audio install.

2010 2.2L LT (no onstar, no pioneer).

So I went with the Metra GMOS-LAN 03 and the Metra dash kit.

The Metra dash kit didn't work out too well with my deck. I have a Kenwood kdc-x693 and the Metra Kit was interfering with the deck's flip down feature. I ended up getting the American International dash kit which worked much better with my deck. The quality and look of the Metra kit is much better though.

The GMOS-LAN 03 had some weird instructions because there was one orange/white wire that wasn't even mentioned in the manual. There are actually two orange/white wires on the metra harness. The manual said to connect the deck's dimmer wire to the orange/white wire coming off the 30-pin GM harness. I did what the manual said but later found out that there wasn't even a wire going to that pin on the GM harness. No wire going to that pin obviously means no dimmer function. I re-wired it to the other orange/white wire (the one that isn't mentioned in the manual) and now the dimming function works. When the headlights are on the deck will dim down but if I turn the high beams on the deck will go back to full brightness. I read a post about another guy who said the same thing so not sure if it's a design problem with the harness or what. Not a huge problem for me because when I'm on the back roads with my high beams on I usually just flip the deck down so I only see the red eject button.

The GMOS-LAN 03 does not have a built in turn signal sound which I was not aware of. Seems weird that a $100 unit wouldn't have it built in. You can get the turn signal sound by wiring in a SPDT relay. Metra has a part number for one but I ended up getting one from Canadian Tire. I wired it in and it sounded really pingy and annoying so I ended up removing it. Maybe the one Metra has would of sounded better. Not sure??

After reconnecting the battery, the kenwood deck doesn't turn on right away. It seems completely dead but if I push the eject button I can hear the eject motor running. Not sure why but after a few start ups and pushing a few buttons on the deck it will all of a sudden come to life and start working. Once it starts working it will continue to do so until I disconnect and reconnect the battery again. Really not sure why it does this but I was about to re-wire the whole thing because I thought I messed up somewhere. Does this happen with anyone else? Maybe the harness needs some time to power/boot up??

That is all for my audio adventure. Just wanted to share my story and maybe my post will help out some other people.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 AM

not sure what to tell you man other then don't disconnect the battery so much... when only the eject button works that means you have constant but no acc. since that is ran thru the module solely theres no wiring involved that can fix that. since it only does it for a short while when disconnecting the battery i wouldn't worry about it too much. otherwise you can call metra tech support and see what they say.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:05 PM

Alright im in the process of getting a new aftermarket hu. I was wondering can i get this C2R-GM11 harness? My setup will be Factory Pioneer speakers n sub, i have on-star but i have no need for it. Plus im adding 2 more amps. 1 4 channel for aftermarket 6.5 and 6x9 mounted in the rear(where the seats and rear panels used to be) and 2 10" subs off another amp.

thanks in advance
Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 PM

So your leaving the pioneer system as is and adding the 4 channel for the aftermarket speakers only? If so then yes you can use that harness. Im not sure why you would do that but yes it would work
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM

well i was reading do i still need to tap the blue/white from the factory harness and makes a acc if i use this harness?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 PM

that harness will make acc and give you the wire for remote turn on
Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 AM

one more question does metra make a adaptor like one i stated above without onstar?

Quick Reply: UPDATED General Stereo FAQ - READ THIS!