Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

USB Radio in 2009s

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USB Radio in 2009s

So I ordered the USB radio option for 100$ in my 09 SS. It plays music fine from my USB thumb/flash drive.

Just a minute ago however, I got the idea to try to plug my Smartphone into the USB port on the radio head unit. To much dissapointment, it would not connect.. gave me error msg about it not being supported.

I know the 09s are starting to flood out these past few weeks for those who ordered them a month+ ago.

Oh.. btw- My smartphone uses Mini-USB ( google it if you don't know what it looks like/is) So I used the Mini-USB> USB cord that came with my phone.

Anyways.. I have a 4 gig Micro-SD storage card in my phone with all my media on it. I don't know if this was the problem.. to hot in my garage to fool around to much tonight.

Im guessing overall, you can't do this.

It would be nice over the next few weeks to hear back from some others on this. maybe some people can test out different USB devices on the radio.. see which work.

I don't have an iPod or any MP3 player... I use my smartphone as my MP3 player.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM

That sucks man. Oh well, at least we've got the bluetooth **** still! I just got my first iPod so I'm excited for no CD wallets/briefcases anymore lol
Old 08-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

This is why I'm not getting this option, I don't think it will work with everthing. I got a SANSA MP3 player & when I look at 1 I'll try it, but I doubt it will work. There is 2 many diff. model MP3 players for this to work on all. But what do I know
Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BostonBoy
This is why I'm not getting this option, I don't think it will work with everthing. I got a SANSA MP3 player & when I look at 1 I'll try it, but I doubt it will work. There is 2 many diff. model MP3 players for this to work on all. But what do I know
not much!.. J/K.

I would honestly bet 20$ ( im poor!) that your MP3 player will work. hell.. I loaded a USB thumb drive up with MP3s today and that worked. Hell. I bet 99% of MP3 players would work.. Thats mainly what they had in mind.... not Smartphones/Palms/PDAs.

FYI.. there is also a 9mm Aux. Jack on the radio.. to hardwire devices into. My smartphone is bluetooth only though... so it was USB or nothing. As we speak.. I am scouring the interweb to search for a way to play MP3s from my phone to the car via bluetooth. How badass would that be?

ZOMG ZOMG LIKE>> MUSIC GOING THROUGH THE AIR TO TEH CAR SPEAKERZ...... NO WAI!

FYI- If you don't have an MP3 player or smartphone with AUX jack ( 9mm) to plug into the car's radio... then you can always get like a 4 or 8 gig ( whatever size you need) USB Thumb/Flash drive.. load it with MP3s and plug it into the optional USB port.

Update- I don't think there is a way to play MP3s/Audio files via bluetooth through the cars speakers.

My smartphone ( AT&T Tilt) is one of the few smartphones that does not have an auxiliary jack on it. Everything is done bluetooth. So I cannot even hardwire in standard 9mm headphones (think white iPod ear buds). But yeah.. if your smartphone had an AUX jack.. me thinks you could just plug it into the cobalts receiving AUX port and then just hit "Aux/CD" button.. and your set.

Last edited by FiscalFizz; 09-01-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FiscalFizz
not much!.. J/K.

I would honestly bet 20$ ( im poor!) that your MP3 player will work. hell.. I loaded a USB thumb drive up with MP3s today and that worked. Hell. I bet 99% of MP3 players would work.. Thats mainly what they had in mind.... not Smartphones/Palms/PDAs.

FYI.. there is also a 9mm Aux. Jack on the radio.. to hardwire devices into. My smartphone is bluetooth only though... so it was USB or nothing. As we speak.. I am scouring the interweb to search for a way to play MP3s from my phone to the car via bluetooth. How badass would that be?

ZOMG ZOMG LIKE>> MUSIC GOING THROUGH THE AIR TO TEH CAR SPEAKERZ...... NO WAI!
can't be that poor with a new car
when I plug my MP3 player to a computer, I can't listen to the music. Have to open up shitty rhapsody program to listen to it. Like I said I have no idea till I check myself when I go to the dealer.
PS: I hate I-pods

My phone is the nextel i580
Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mines a 2007, and when I had the stock HU in, the MP3 hook up on the front of it (3.5m) worked with all the mp3 players I put on it, funny how the USB won't work.

I have since changed decks a few times but the last 2 have been JVC's with USB ports on them.
Flash drives are the way to go. MP3 players are to expensive to have a bunch of them roaming around the car. You can go to Walmart and pick up a few for cheap, Scandisk, Lexmark, Memorex, all cheap and all easy to use, no outside programs to worry about (cough itunes).
Don't get 8 gig ones though. The CD player is only able to handle 10 gigs in total, and the seek time is turtle paced, go with small ones and more of them I have mostle 1 and 2 gig drives.
If your phone supports it, it is possible to bluetooth music from the phone to a bluetooth deck, its an extra adapter that you have to put on but it rocks, my old phone didn't support it (Motorola Krazar) but I could charge that phone right from the USB port on the deck. My new phone does support it (Samsung M620) but won't charge off the USB hook up.
In the end playing music eats up phone battery, why do that when you can get a jump drive for under 20.00.
For the Cobalt they give a USB port, wow! My mother just bought a 2009 CTS, it has a 40 gig hard drive right in the dash, and a 12" sub in the deck lid (Bose), for an extra $30,000 I guess we could to.

BTW-Rhapsody is spy/adware infested, Try the BS Player it should work.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
BostonBoy that means ur music is "protected" it wont play without a decryption method of some sort (rhapsody)
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
BostonBoy that means ur music is "protected" it wont play without a decryption method of some sort (rhapsody)
Nice I learned something. this is my first MP3 player(1 1/2 yrs ago). I'm happy with it, but just as stated, I wish it could be changed

Originally Posted by FiscalFizz
not much!.. J/K.

PS: your not poor you still live at home with no real bills. Here's a qoute from U

I went to one of the top private schools in Michigan

you're special

Last edited by BostonBoy; 09-01-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 AM

pics or ban...