Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Using same ground as battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using same ground as battery?

Would it create a problem to use the same ground as my battery? I am getting some random feedback in my subs and I am curious as to if that is the reason. When I first start it they will start hitting really loud at random times for the first mile or two then they're fine.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by godsfshrmn
Would it create a problem to use the same ground as my battery? I am getting some random feedback in my subs and I am curious as to if that is the reason. When I first start it they will start hitting really loud at random times for the first mile or two then they're fine.

are you getting feed back or just random variable volumes? those are two different issues, also a little more info on your setup may help.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 PM

where do you have you signal cable ran... they may be gettin interferance from cable near by...

with the ground... try sanding around where you have it attached to the frame and reatach it and have sure it doesn't move when you pull or push on it... that will make a perfect ground... but definitely make sure your signal cables aren't around any power cables because that would be the biggest problem
Old 05-18-2007, 12:23 PM

It is more of a constant mid-bass tone that I am hearing. The music otherwise sounds fine. The input for the amp is running off one of the rear deck speakers. I am using speaker-level because I am using the stock H/U.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pontiac.G5
where do you have you signal cable ran... they may be gettin interferance from cable near by...
If feedback is the problem this is most likely the cause. in higher power systems with a good amount of current, if you're RCA (signal) cables are run on the same side of the car as your power cables, the signal cables will actually pick the interference from the electrical current in the power cable. This would cause feedback that would vary with the speed of the engine.

however, if your problem is variable volumes then most likely it's your ground. You either have a bad connection to your ground (not tight enough) or the ground just isn't good. as mentioned above you can either sand the spot your grounding to or just try a new spot. remember though, the shorter your ground wire the better performance you will receive from your setup

Originally Posted by godsfshrmn
It is more of a constant mid-bass tone that I am hearing. The music otherwise sounds fine. The input for the amp is running off one of the rear deck speakers. I am using speaker-level because I am using the stock H/U.
make sure the connections to your amp are clean, i.e. no random strands of wire crossing over from one input to the other. this could cause interference, other than that you may want to try to drop the gain on your amp a bit as it may be trying to put out too much.

Last edited by roccityroller; 05-18-2007 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Should I try to tap the wire going to the stock sub instead of the rear deck speaker?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:30 PM

yes! if you have a stock sub, i would think that would be the best signal to tap. because that signal will be a low frequency input as opposed to your rear speakers which are most like mid-full range inputs. the amp may be seeing higher frequency signals from the speaker wire and doesn't know what to do with them. What kind of amp are you running?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Its an old MTX 6152 amp. I had this setup in my s10 i had before my car. It can do either 2 channel full range or 1 channel mono. I adjusted the crossover freq on it so I'm wondering if that would make any difference. I'll see what it does after lunch.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM

i don't think your crossover frequency would have much to do with it, does the amp have two sets of inputs? I.e. low input (RCA cables) and high input (different kind of input)
Old 05-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Yeah. The 06 head units dont have RCA output do they?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:41 PM

no but if you can get a low freq signal then you can buy adapters to make speaker wires to RCA outputs. Radio shack should have them. Check your ground first though, that's the easiest/cheapest fix.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:19 PM

Well I'm now doing like you said, using RCA input running off the stock sub and I moved my ground. Past maybe 1/2 on the gain the speakers put out the same frequency sound wide open, regardless if the volume is turned all the way down. The power cord is well out of the way of the rcas. I can't figure out why its doing this.

It looks like it is because I'm changing the impedence on the amp. When the RCAs are not plugged into my amp, the stock sub works, but if they're plugged in they don't work. It looks like I will have to unplug the stock sub?

EDIT: OK I unplugged the stock sub and used the stock wiring directly into the amp. I'm still getting the feedback after the gain is turned up.

Last edited by godsfshrmn; 05-18-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-19-2007, 09:13 PM

i'm stumped lol... how did you wire it to the stock sub... draw a diagram of how you have it setup... or check mine and see if you can do the same thing... of coarse without the crossover tho... jus use the speaker adapter lol

here's mine

mine uses the same ground as the battery if you were wondering

Last edited by Pontiac.G5; 05-19-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-21-2007, 07:43 PM

I just split the wire going into the sub and ran it off that. It looks like you ran it off your rear deck 6x9s? Did you upgrade those and if so, did you notice a huge difference? I notice when I move the fade to the rear I have NO highs at all. I was thinking about maybe a three way 6x9 for the rear, but they would be unamplified of course. I'm guessing that would cause the sound stage to be almost all in the front area of the car because I'd leave the tweeter and door speakers alone.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 AM

i did not upgrade my speakers... n that would be fine