Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Video Monitors????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Video Monitors????

Ok guy and girls.......

I have a small house dvd player that is just sitting.... I think in a cheap one.. A "Coby"

I figured since it's cheap and small I'd throw it in the car.. So now I am looking, hunting down prices and styles... I realy like the monitors that are in the sun visors.. It has that stelthy look to them... But I think they may be a pain in the butt to install... The other thing I was looking at was the flip down screens... <==== but I think this will look like crap in the cobalt... I dont want to do the "InDash" ones.. I'm not planing on removing the radio out of the car!! I'm "Smart Buying It" I dont want to loose my warranty or go thro the hasle of putting everything in and have to take everything back out after 4 years!..

Yeah I know, I'm going to need an ----Inverter for a power supply since the DVD player is ment for the house but I'm using it in the car, an RF modulater for the Audio to come thro the car speakers!....

SO........... I am basicaly curious how YOU ALL would handle this? What I sould be looking for? What type or brand monitors.....?

Thanks Gang!!
Old 02-11-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

u gonna have to find a solid way of hooking inverter to the battery so it does'nt fall off while flooring it (FIRE, Short, ETC) the rest it sounds like u have your facts straight !

get er done!

I'm more of a car audio wiz (home audio, um good at hooking it up and stuff just not modifing it. Atleast not yet

gl thoe bro!
Old 02-11-2005, 06:15 PM

Inverter..

I'd hook the inverter some where on the floor or away from the battery (not to far tho) and run the wires!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:06 AM

Well honestly, i would go car audio stuff

basically cause hooking up an inverter and such would be a pain

We did a ps2 in my buddys car but everything except the ps2 was run off the car.

no conversion and no worries

as for monitors, i would go and look at monitors for quality resolution

i wouldnt get anything with a hazy picture or anything

when i do the cobalt, im going to do a custom video screen with the cd player underneath directly into the console where the stock deck is (hpefully)

you could probably hook up a switch to the inverter close to your driver side and turn it on and off

im not sure how much power drain there is with a inverter if you keep it on all the time
Old 03-09-2005, 05:33 PM

my tv for sale

i can sell you my TV moniter by performance tecknique, its veryyyyyyyyyy nice, with speakers and dome lights built into it, and remote. heres a couple pics at this link
otherwise u can look it up its the Model Number ICBM-9355

http://www.carmedia1.com/media/pticbm9355t.jpg

i didnt use it due to the fact i would not know how to mount it since i dont want screw holes in my headliner. and i have a sunroof so i would have to mount it in rear....AHHH no way
Old 03-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the info.. I dont think I want to mount it into the roof like that.... to big to bulky i think.... I know a dealer that can get me a COMPLETE DVD system with a detachable screen for like 500 or $600!... SO when I get my car, tint it, i'll see what I'll do next!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:16 PM

Check out MP3Car.com and Xenarc (a manufacturer of various in-car screens)
Old 03-09-2005, 07:21 PM

The only reason I am going with a detachable screen is ... I am Smart Buying the car.. It's like a lease!!!.... I do not want and will not pull out the stock radio.. One reason is that the "Cobalt is an ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE" <--- SOMEONE has told me that doest installations.. and also.. All the door chimes and alarm and what have you run right in back of the radio.....

A nice RF modulator I think Will do the trick.... But thanks for the info.. I'll check the sites out tonight..... IF anyone else has any knowladge on this.. Please post... Will love to learn what other people know and think about this!

Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 03:03 PM

you can always mount the monitors on a gooseneck mount, not the coolest thing out there, but it attaches easily to the bottom of the seats, and it can move to anywhere you put it.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by CoolCobalt_NY
The only reason I am going with a detachable screen is ... I am Smart Buying the car.. It's like a lease!!!.... I do not want and will not pull out the stock radio.. One reason is that the "Cobalt is an ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE" <--- SOMEONE has told me that doest installations.. and also.. All the door chimes and alarm and what have you run right in back of the radio.....

A nice RF modulator I think Will do the trick.... But thanks for the info.. I'll check the sites out tonight..... IF anyone else has any knowladge on this.. Please post... Will love to learn what other people know and think about this!

Thanks

not sure what model cobalt you got, but my aftermarket radio is installed. and everything still works. factory radio is in the house. as far as the nightmare thing goes, i dont think it is as bad as everyone thinks it is. took my installer 30-45 mins to get mine in.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:42 PM

I don't know about how much you are really willing to spend after the Inverter, Monitor, Installation, Service Warranty... but I do know those Portable ones with the Monitor, usually 7" are widely available. I have seen them for anywhere from $100 to $300 but most are like $169 ish...

Why not sell the DVD and just get one of these portable jobs that you can take anywhere?

My girlfriend has one of them set up in her Buick Rendezvous (trust me she is really cool) but we put down some Velcro Strips so the DVD unit stays put. Her DVD payer goes everywhere, it's especially great in the summer on the beach, watching a movie!