Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Viper 5901 cause window malfunction???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 5901 cause window malfunction???

so i got the viper 5901 installed on my car (09 sstc) with a backup siren proximity sensor and a glass break sensor... tonight when i was out testing the launch control... i noticed the windows were a little sluggish on their way up... after a few runs the driver side window would not go up... it slowly moved up on jerk at a time... then i took her for a little drive on the highway and the window was fine... once i pulled off and let her sit idle... the right window started to get very sluggish and got stuck... took a while to get back up and took it back on the highway and the windows were fine...

i am not sure what has caused this problem i was wondering if anyone has any idea about it?

i know when i got the 5901 installed i had to take it back for the doors to be wired in properly for the remote start... could that have anything to do with the window malfunction? i am not an installer so i have no idea what wires were connected to what and different problems a starter alarm combo could cause...

original install day was about 10 days ago and only noticed it tonight... as i was testing the launch control... but why would this only affect the front windows... as it is a 4dr...

any thoughts would be great... need to get this fixed... its rainy season here in ontario... and sometimes i like fresh air
Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You think its rain season in Ontario, you should come to Vancouver

I don't know if the problem is from your alarm or not but I can tell you what I think about the problem.
Sounds like its electrical, be it in the aftermarket equipment or the cars internals. You say the windows become slugish at idle but on the highway there fine. This is due to the fact that there not getting enough power, when you on the highway the alt. is producing enough power, but at idle it is not.
Do you have a stereo system (aftermarket).
IMO the battery should hold enough juice in it to roll the windows up, but if the alt is not charging it or the battery is toast and won't hold the charge from the alt then this might cause the problem your describing (I'd go with the later of the 2)

That being said if the alarm is wired wrong, it could drain the battery down.
If you know how to work a multi meter check the numbers that you battery is putting out, both with the car on and off.
If you don't take it in and have it tested, but take the car and have the alarm looked at by a different shop before you replace anything, or else your going to back in the same boat again in the near future.
You have to fix whats causing the problem before fixing the problem itself
Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
like spun said its a voltage issue.... they may have wired the alarm wrong but remember coincidences do happen. then again theres alot of dumbfuck installers out there so

get ur alt tested and pull out the multimeter to see what your battery rests at. also make sure your battery terminals are tight (just in case)
Old 04-04-2009, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah the night it happened i tested the battery on and off... off bout 12 and on bout 14... normal... and the terminals were all tight not loose or anything... at first i thought there was something wrong with the alt cause i had a similar problem but with lights in my ol sunfire... but there was a clear problem with the alt... so im not sure at all about this one... ill have to take it to a diff shop and see what they say...
Old 04-04-2009, 02:38 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
if everything is perfect it should be 12.8 with the car off and 14.4/13.8 with the car on (gm has a 14.4 start up cycle then down to 13.8 afterwards