Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Viper Alarm & Remote Start - Clutch Bypass Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Viper Alarm & Remote Start - Clutch Bypass Issue

Ok. Before I begin, I am not posting to ask advice about whether I should have a remote start in a manual trans car. I've heard every argument before and have my own opinion. Thanks

Anyway, I own a '10 SS/TC and recently purchased the Viper 5204 and the Viper SmartStart module (control alarm and start from smart-phone) to go along with it from my local BestBuy. Chose BestBuy because they offer FREE GeekSquad installation. (FREE is for ME)

Well my appointment came yesterday at 11am and I dropped the car off in the auto-tech bay and was told it would be about 6-7 hours.

I left and returned after about 4 hours and the tech informed me he was having issues with the clutch bypass. As far as I knew, the bypass was simply one wire (never done this before though).

He showed me a diagram for a switch that contained 3 wires which he would then need to splice into two relays and then into the alarm/remote start combo.

Here came my issue. The switch/plug that he assumed he would need was off of the clutch sensor at the base of the clutch (white plastic pivot switch) - (makes sense).

However, he seemed to think that splicing into the wires mid-line was not good enough and wanted to unplug dismantle the the plug. Again, issues arose because the tight positioning of the sensor plug prevented him from gaining access to it. The car was in turn put back together and I left with my alarm/remote start incomplete.

The tech informed me that he would be contacting his support on Friday (his next shift), and would also contact a BestBuy about an hour away to speak to their "Master Techs".

He informed me that the worst case scenario could be me having to bring the car to the master techs to get the job done.

So now I come to my question.

For those of you that have installed remote starts on your manual SS'. What was the process for clutch bypass?

Any any all information that I could return to this tech would be great. Diagrams and/or photos would be a bonus.

Save me from him butchering my baby.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM

Old 09-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Bump
Old 09-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dobsongeorge
However, he seemed to think that splicing into the wires mid-line was not good enough and wanted to unplug dismantle the the plug.
this is why imo you should run away and never look back. he is an idiot.

I have never installed an alarm or a clutch bypass, but common sense says you splice into the load side wire of the switch (ie the side the gets powered once you push in clutch) you do not dismantle the clutch switch that is probably one piece anyway. <--- I totally misread plug for switch. but still. its not under the starter load, its only handling the amperage of the relay.

here again, just my opinion. no alarm knowledge, but plenty electrical, car audio, and understanding of what the clutch safety switch does.

Dave

Last edited by Fearedbynone; 09-12-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fearedbynone
this is why imo you should run away and never look back. he is an idiot. I have never installed an alarm or a clutch bypass, but common sense says you splice into the load side wire of the switch (ie the side the gets powered once you push in clutch) you do not dismantle the clutch switch that is probably one piece anyway. <--- I totally misread plug for switch. but still. its not under the starter load, its only handling the amperage of the relay. here again, just my opinion. no alarm knowledge, but plenty electrical, car audio, and understanding of what the clutch safety switch does. Dave
Ouch. Thanks. He called around for help and seems to think he knows what he's doing now. Scheduled for this Friday at 10am. I will be overseeing his every move.

Saturday bump for more info too.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 PM

Old 09-20-2013, 03:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Ouch. Thanks. He called around for help and seems to think he knows what he's doing now. Scheduled for this Friday at 10am. I will be overseeing his every move.

Saturday bump for more info too.
take it from an installer. the closer the customer/car owner is the more likely for something to go wrong. people make unnecessary mistakes when the car owner is there
Old 09-23-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure that once whenever your dealer does install the alarm system correctly, if you have a trifecta tune on your cruise control button that everytime you want to do the remote start feature you need to make sure your cruise button is off before doing it. Otherwise the remote starter will be confused and will create a default which means that your vehicle will be stuck in remote start mode. I've had this happen to me twice but ever since then it hasn't happened to me. Good luck with the install I've yet to have a viper smart start setup yet to work with my phone.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
take it from an installer. the closer the customer/car owner is the more likely for something to go wrong. people make unnecessary mistakes when the car owner is there
I thought about this. He was already stumped once I got back. So me being there actually didnt seem to make too much difference. I actually helped him out a bit.

Originally Posted by KoriCobalt
Make sure that once whenever your dealer does install the alarm system correctly, if you have a trifecta tune on your cruise control button that everytime you want to do the remote start feature you need to make sure your cruise button is off before doing it. Otherwise the remote starter will be confused and will create a default which means that your vehicle will be stuck in remote start mode. I've had this happen to me twice but ever since then it hasn't happened to me. Good luck with the install I've yet to have a viper smart start setup yet to work with my phone.
This interests me. Why does it do this? Any exact known reason?
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought about this. He was already stumped once I got back. So me being there actually didnt seem to make too much difference. I actually helped him out a bit.

This interests me. Why does it do this? Any exact known reason?
I'm not sure, but in both situations I had it was because of the same reason. They ran test on my vehicle both times and couldn't come up with a conclusion, but each time they solved the issue they relearned the remote starter.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Well today's the day. Just dropped car off at best buy AGAIN

Hopefully he gets it done this time

Wish me luck

Edit- forgot to mention last week got rescheduled to today (Thursday)

Last edited by dobsongeorge; 09-26-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 09-27-2013, 12:05 AM

Ok. Recap of the day.

Alarm and remote start fully installed. Alex and Carlos from Best Buy figured out the craziness of the clutch bypass and they were right to begin with about the technical relay rewire.

System was up and completely working however, after one test of the SmartStart System (which worked) the remote start began to experience issues.

The issue wasn't anything to do with the clutch but actually just after the ignition was activated to "on" position via remote system, the factory alarm would activate and kill the remote start process.

So now I'm back home with a working alarm and an inoperable remote start.

Seems that the easy answer would be to disable the factory system completely. No?

How does one do this?

As always, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Scheduled to head back to installers a week from today.

**EDIT - The factory alarm only chirps when completing "remote start mode" and not when arming or disarming alarm. Then goes off just before ignition**

Last edited by dobsongeorge; 09-27-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: More info
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM

Day later bump
Old 09-28-2013, 06:55 PM

I experience the same error on and off with my Drone (Compustar smartstart). Disabling the Compustar system from arming the stock system seemed to help but still occasionally run into the dreaded start and stop. The stock system is a pain the car also has to be unlocked before started in my case or the stock alarm goes off :/
Old 09-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Strange. Have been screwing with it on and off since that day and have found every like 6th time to work flawlessly.

But then last night it worked and this morning it worked without issue. So that makes 2 in a row.

Guess we will see. also found out that the shock sensor isn't working. I can shake the whole car and no alarm.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Yeah, I had a compustar alarm/remote start on my 07 SS/T and once in awhile when I would remote start it, the factory alarm would kick in and prevent it from being started. Anyways, how do you like the viper 5204? I like the keyfob. If its any good, that will be my next alarm/remote start for my next vehicle.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:47 AM

I like the key fob as well. No use for the extra function button but other than that it's nice

Haven't registered the SmartStart to work yet so no smartphone control yet until best buy checks it again.

If the start continues to work until next week I'm just having them replace the bezel they scratched on my steering column (did I mention that) and repair/replace the shock sensor. As well as order my tilt sensor.

I can deal with the occasional not starting as long as it works the majority of the time.

EDIT - Well 4 times in a row starter worked. 5th time set the factory alarm off again

Last edited by dobsongeorge; 09-29-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:36 PM

Well the lack of interest in this thread is obvious but hopefully it will help someone else down the road.

Update 9/30 - found another fault preventing the start-up. Not sure what it is but instead of the alarm kicking in my doors go into an almost "panic" locking and unlocking and locking again and my directionals blink crazily. Then the fob gives me a fault beep and the process is terminated.

I keep playing with it though and will keep it updated here

Sent from my iPhone 5 using IB AutoGroup
Old 09-30-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
u have to remember most people dont install their own alarms
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
u have to remember most people dont install their own alarms
I'm not complaining. Obviously professional installers can't handle it either
Old 10-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Today is Day 3 at best buy.......
Old 10-03-2013, 06:52 PM

So after another long and daunting day.

My 2010 LNF has the viper alarm/remote start/smart start 100% installed and operational.

Alex and Carlos ended up bypassing the standard install and ran wire-to-wire to get the setup to work properly without the factory alarm interfering.

Everything is up and working great now. With no complaints on my part.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:02 PM

What do you mean by wire to wire? Did they not use data? would be great to get mine problem free.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM

Not sure what you mean by "data". I know for a fact that the factory system is no longer is use. Meaning the viper system no longer operates at all with the factory alarm.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I could give u some contact info if you want for my installer(s).
Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Visions installed my system, pretty much same as urs. They had no issues with it except they had a bad brain and had hard time figuring that out. Till they replaced it. Smart start is awesome, ull love it. A plus, if someone steals ur car, u know exactly where it is lol GPS locating ftw. Only annoyance I have is if u have after market deck, whenever smart start communicates with cars ecu, u hear noise in rear speakers

Quick Reply: Viper Alarm & Remote Start - Clutch Bypass Issue