Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Voltage Drop Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voltage Drop Question

Hi, I have a question about voltage drop. I have 2007 Colbalt LS. I have 2 kinetik batteries in the trunk, All RF 1/0 Wiring. A HC1200 for starting and a HC1800 for the system, I also have a 275 amp alternator from DC power. I have done the big three. I origionally had the batteries hooked up this way, Starting battery to stock ground, HC1800 Negative to HC1200 Negative, HC1800 Positive to HC1200 Positive. The HC1800 is then Hooked to a 10 Farad RF Hybrid Cap directly, Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative. In this configuration I was getting around a 1.5 volt drop to around 13.5 volts. Last weekend I reconfigured the wiring in this manner, Starting battery(HC1200) Grounded in the stock location, then connected directly to the HC1800, Positive of HC1800 to Hybrid Cap, HC1800 and Cap Grounded to Chassis in Different locations. Now after this configuration my voltage drop is worse! It drops to around 11.9. I have a RFT20001BD running at 2 ohms and a T600-4 for the mids and highs. Im thinking that im bypassing the electrical load sense on the Starting battery by grounding the second battery to the chassis. Well I think thats what it is. The Starting battery ground wire goes through it so it only makes sense to assume that is what it is. Ive changed the stock ground wire to 1/0 as well and ran it through that Electrical load sensor(Not sure the name of it im sorry). So if the system uses the new grounds that would explain the voltage drop because the charging system does not detect a load. I am not sure though. Should I Rewire it to the origional configuration? I dont now what to do. Im so confused.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 PM

lemme get this straight. your runnin a big sound system. got a big amperage alterrnator. and now your putting in two batteries, one for the sound system and one for the starter and engine electrical? first off i dont like capacitors much. personal preference.... if i got that right then your best bet is to take your main power wire and make two seperate positive cables. make a Y type connection and run one wire to each positive tower on the battery. this puts equal power to each battery from that big ass alt. now run your negatives in stock location. i am running two JL Audio 12w3s and two amps, one for each sub, running off a single red top battery. i dont have any less voltage than normal. ran a Y connection off power wire so both amps get 12v.
hope this helps
Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 PM

Okay, Thats like how I had it. I will rewire it back this weekend. The only thing I want to do different is to leave my Highs amp grounded to the chassis to minimize whine. Thats another problem I only get it in the front right channel, the chassis grounding has made it a little better than it was.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:31 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
as far as power you want to jump them from one to the other and grounds you want individual wires going to all the same spot.

to minimize ground loop its also a good idea to run a ground from the HU (cap off the ground at the harness and don't use it for the radio) to the 4 channel amp in the back. rcas down the pass side and all other connections down the drivers. Also if your using any of the stock battery terminals it might be a good idea to replace them. they do their job for stock stuff but if you add anything on them they get loose

also double check the voltage when the car is on with no system playing. our stock alts charge at 14.4 for 30 seconds or something after starting and then drop down to 13.8 if your dc power is doing that then .3v isn't a bad drop if its not then the dc power isn't being controlled by the BCM so whatever this electrical load sense is your talking about should be doing anything as far as alt charging
Old 04-27-2011, 05:30 AM

Okay jj thanks for your reply. This weekend I am going to move the grounds and put them all in the factory location so they are all in the same spot. Thats a good Idea for grounding the headunit to the 4 channel amp, hopefully that makes it much better.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 AM

Unfortunatly I havent got to that yet, But I will try to get to it this weekend. Between working and moving I have not had any time to get to it. I will post and let you know what happens