Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Why do you need an aftermarket HU? What is with all of this Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Why do you need an aftermarket HU? What is with all of this Junk?

I like to stock look. I don't like the ricer look of aftermkaret hu. They can be obnoxious, especially when they glow and they never really match the car. Where is the class?

I hear it too many times that just replacing your hu with a simple 150 dollar BestBuy Made in China deck will solve your problems and that factory systems have shitty output. First, let's be realistic, this is car audio. The reality is that the acoustics of a vehicle cabin cannot cater to all audiophiles. Second, where is the creativity? I argue that one may achieve great sound quality with simple upgrades that don't involve replacing a hu or adding 20 hideous speakers.

For example, the stealth and classy approach. Install replacement speakers, line converters and amplifiers and the right size subwoofer (Really, do you need 2 15s? No.) Adjust your amp crossovers and tweak your EQ on the Cobalt radio... so much better.

Aftermarket HUs that resemble a glowing orb, have flip or tilt capabilites or 2 inch screens with that ugly single din "compartment" space below, how does that look good or even provide practical function?

So with that said, I don't understand how people think stock HUs are shitty or ugly.

Also, I have to take a poke at those of you out there that think iPods and related portable media players have shitty quality. Rip CD to ALAC, Sync ALAC to iPod and what do you have? Hundreds of CDs on one device, with no loss of quality whatsoever. OR go with high end AAC or even the ol' V0 MP3s. The only reason iPod or portable media player music would be shitty is if you 1)Downloaded 128kbps music from the internets 2)Encoded yourself and don't know what you are doing, or all of the above, but not limited to your own stupidity.

To each their own, but the person who knows how to spend money and what they are talking about knows better to get audio equipment that doesn't just sit in the car. I will never understand how some people spend thousands on their car radio. Is it to make yourself feel better about something? Do you think it is so badass to blast your 15s in the parking lot or in crowded areas? Do you think chicks are like, ow wow a loud radio, put it in me. It isn't fly or baller, it is lame and ricer. Showing off takes more than custom a pillar fiberglass speaker moldings. Either your have no friends, you bug the hell out of your friends by showing your lil' radio off when you are suppose to be driving, or you are oblivious and/or ignorant. So hardcore, aren't ya?

Invest in home audio or perhaps something that would benefit you in the future! Not a 500 dollar sub and box that you throw in your trunk only to sell it online less than a year later for a third of the price to fend off collection agencies because you don't know how to spend money.

BTW The Fast and The Furious is the worst movie ever. Even the unibrow mexican chick couldn't hold it together for me.

Last edited by pdub; 02-27-2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Had to add comment about movie, read the end.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:45 AM

i just want navi
Old 02-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
I want a HU that can play my MP3's, CD's... and display gauges of different sorts.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:50 AM

sooo, buying an aftermarket headunit is ricer?? lol. okay...u don't buy one for how it looks, u buy it for how it performs. also, the stock deck IS shitty. mine skipped all the time. i don't have 2 15"s in my car, i have 2 12"s. yes i have enough compartment room to run them at full potential. i just don't understand ur complaint or argument here? i like my eclipse head unit. it work better than anything i've ever had. i like the output and specs it gives. personally i just don't understand ur whole rant? the only thing i've seen with 20 speakers in it was a bronco kicker made. other than that? nothing. i have 2 12's and i'll replace the interiors, a total of 6 speakers. and yes it sounds awesome.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i would only buy a new headunit if it had navigation.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 AM

i like to watch movies on those long road trips. well, its more like "glance" at movies, haha! mine doesnt look bad at all since it takes up the whole space and blends nicely. 7 inch screen.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I'm on my 5th stock one. Warranty FTW!

If i could find one that displayed multiple gauges... I'd buy it.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:55 AM

a nice double din in dash touch screen sets off the balt pretty well.. thats wut im getting... using a line out converter to add subs isnt as efficient as it would be setting it up directly to a deck... i want bass for my ss and since it didnt come with the pioneer system i got a nice kicker cv10 and im gonna make a small box for it similar to wut the stock subs come in... so ill get the nice stock look and 400w rms of clean kicker bass... wuts junky about that?it will look simple and pretty much look like most cars today that come with screens..
Old 02-27-2008, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zdeuce4
a nice double din in dash touch screen sets off the balt pretty well.. thats wut im getting... using a line out converter to add subs isnt as efficient as it would be setting it up directly to a deck... i want bass for my ss and since it didnt come with the pioneer system i got a nice kicker cv10 and im gonna make a small box for it similar to wut the stock subs come in... so ill get the nice stock look and 400w rms of clean kicker bass... wuts junky about that?it will look simple and pretty much look like most cars today that come with screens..
ya i have 2 L5s, and they pound hard. the amp i had was a POS n the circuit board blew recently, thank you audiobahn. lol.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
ya i have 2 L5s, and they pound hard. the amp i had was a POS n the circuit board blew recently, thank you audiobahn. lol.
well my friend gets kicker stuff for 70% off so i couldnt pass up the deal...
Old 02-27-2008, 02:07 AM

Time to have fun

Originally Posted by pdub
I like to stock look. I don't like the ricer look of aftermkaret hu. They can be obnoxious, especially when they glow and they never really match the car. Where is the class?

I hear it too many times that just replacing your hu with a simple 150 dollar BestBuy Made
in China deck will solve your problems and that factory systems have shitty output. First, let's be realistic, this is car audio. The reality is that the acoustics of a vehicle cabin cannot cater to all audiophiles. Second, where is the creativity? I argue that one may achieve great sound quality with simple upgrades that don't involve replacing a hu or adding 20 hideous speakers.
I will agree with you that you do not need 20 speakers to achieve a good SQ system (sound quality). A good 4-speaker setup with a single, or dual subwoofers and amps will get you exactly what you need for an SQ setup. And I also agree that audiophiles need not bother with car audio. Realistically you will never get the same sound out of it that you do in a home audio application. However, I do disagree that an aftermarket headunit is a waste. My main reasons for purchasing were increased output from the unit itself, RCA provisions for my subwoofer, and amplifier provisions for the rest of the stereo.

For example, the stealth and classy approach. Install replacement speakers, line converters and amplifiers and the right size subwoofer (Really, do you need 2 15s? No.) Adjust your amp crossovers and tweak your EQ on the Cobalt radio... so much better.
Your suggestion for a setup works well on an SQ system, however, an aftermarket stereo will give you 10x the tuning capability than the stock headunit allows. Think about it this way (if you are a true audiophile...) would you ever go buy some $3,000 pair of speakers, a $1,000 subwoofer, and an awesome power conditioner but then add on a $149.99 Sony reciever? Of course not. You don't have near the output nor the tuning capabilities, as well as not having the clarity from the unit itself. Your headunit is, in essence, your reciever.

As for the 2 15" comment, that may be exactly what is needed in an SPL application (sound pressure level) such as what my car is being built for. It is not about the clarity or the accuracy in which the music is reproduced, but it is all about volume. Sure you may (and probably do) disagree with this, but it's what I want to build the car for, and I do have a jam up home audio system for listening to clear crisp music when I feel the need to. So to answer your question, in an SPL application, YES you do need those 2 15's (or 4 12's, 2 18's, hell, 20 10"'s even).

Aftermarket HUs that resemble a glowing orb, have flip or tilt capabilites or 2 inch screens with that ugly single din "compartment" space below, how does that look good or even provide practical function?
So your main argument is that you haven't found an aftermarket headunit that looks good? How is this a solid point to argue your "aftermarket headunits are stupid because..." argument?

So with that said, I don't understand how people think stock HUs are shitty or ugly.
Sure some people think that the stock headunits are ugly, but most do not replace their headunits strictly for aesthetic purposes. If our stock headunit had the RCA and amplifier provisions plus the allotted wattage output as well as a good tuning capability, then I would most likely never buy a new headunit. But they aren't that way.

Also, I have to take a poke at those of you out there that think iPods and related portable media players have shitty quality. Rip CD to ALAC, Sync ALAC to iPod and what do you have? Hundreds of CDs on one device, with no loss of quality whatsoever. OR go with high end AAC or even the ol' V0 MP3s. The only reason iPod or portable media player music would be shitty is if you 1)Downloaded 128kbps music from the internets 2)Encoded yourself and don't know what you are doing, or all of the above, but not limited to your own stupidity.
This argument sure came out of nowhere... but I do agree that iPods do not have shitty quality, it's the quality of the sound file that you download... however, if I were in a competition I would always run a straight marketed CD. Reason being, you will ALWAYS lose SOME sound quality and volume whenever an audio file is converted to a new file format or burned onto a device or CD.

To each their own, but the person who knows how to spend money and what they are talking about knows better to get audio equipment that doesn't just sit in the car. I will never understand how some people spend thousands on their car radio. Is it to make yourself feel better about something? Do you think it is so badass to blast your 15s in the parking lot or in crowded areas? Do you think chicks are like, ow wow a loud radio, put it in me. It isn't fly or baller, it is lame and ricer. Showing off takes more than custom a pillar fiberglass speaker moldings. Either your have no friends, you bug the hell out of your friends by showing your lil' radio off when you are suppose to be driving, or you are oblivious and/or ignorant. So hardcore, aren't ya?
This part just lost all of my respect for you if you ever were a true audiophile (which is obvious now that you are not). You don't have to spend thousands on a thumpin' system... rather you could spend that on performance parts, or even a good SQ sound system as stated before. Either way it's that person's own personal preference. Maybe we can bash on your preffered listenings a little bit and see how you feel about it then? As stated before I compete in SPL competitions, but still have a love for a great sounding, clean audio system. Your arguments are ridiculous and really hold no ground (of course, reffering to your original argument about the headunits).

Invest in home audio or perhaps something that would benefit you in the future! Not a 500 dollar sub and box that you throw in your trunk only to sell it online less than a year later for a third of the price to fend off collection agencies because you don't know how to spend money.
How would spending money on a home audio system be a smarter investment? Either way you are spending money on speakers and an amplifier that only you will get satisfaction out of. If "investing" is your concern, then you probably shouldn't be spending money on luxury stereos. A $19.99 clock radio is a much better "investment" than a Harmon-Kardon 5.1 system, or a set of Vienna Acoustic floor speakers.

Honestly, you came in here to bash anyone and everyone with any kind of stereo system in a car, and honestly, it's not a valid argument at all. You probably got mad because a Honda with a 12" sub in it was stuck in traffic next to you blasting Young Jeezy and you got a headache. People have differing opinions on what they choose to spend their money on, and if you want to discuss how you think they would benefit or not benefit that individual, then feel free, that's what the forums are for. But a blatant attack on bassy stereo system owners and enthusiasts is completely disrespectful and honestly quite childish.

/rant.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:24 AM

Out1aw, nice post. Made me laugh. :-)

Looking forward to the morning responses.

Mm, maybe I should've posted a rant warning.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:30 AM

So my headunit, this one right here:

Is rice? You know, it has such cool visualizations(NOT.)

I like Apline cuz they don't try to go all flashy and ****. They keep it simple(until you get higher up). I like how my unit looks in my car, and think it matches the interior better.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:28 AM

Rice rice baby...oh wait.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:44 AM

no but those pedals are rice
Old 02-27-2008, 03:58 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I think you guys are confused... this is rice:

Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As soon as GM puts a DVD Nav with Bluetooth and an Ipod interface into the Cobalts, Ill consider not changing out the HU, until then AVIC-D3 it is for me
Old 02-27-2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
I think you guys are confused... this is rice:

lmfao... hahahaha good one
Old 02-27-2008, 07:00 AM

Apparently someone is pissed off with the neighborhood teenager who has a loud stereo.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 AM

I hear it too many times that just replacing your hu with a simple 150 dollar BestBuy Made in China deck will solve your problems and that factory systems have shitty output. First, let's be realistic, this is car audio. The reality is that the acoustics of a vehicle cabin cannot cater to all audiophiles. Second, where is the creativity? I argue that one may achieve great sound quality with simple upgrades that don't involve replacing a hu or adding 20 hideous speakers.

BTW The Fast and The Furious is the worst movie ever. Even the unibrow mexican chick couldn't hold it together for me.

pointless post....does it really matter??? Are you really losing sleep at night because someone wants a different head unit in there own car. Who cares, they pay for it!

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
Apparently someone is pissed off with the neighborhood teenager who has a loud stereo.

Last edited by blackngold20; 02-27-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
As soon as GM puts a DVD Nav with Bluetooth and an Ipod interface into the Cobalts, Ill consider not changing out the HU, until then AVIC-D3 it is for me
only reason i bought an aftermarket head-unit.. i have a 400$ (at the time) ipod and it has my life on it lol, i want to be able to listen to it. i dont particularly like the head-unit i bought (although i loved it at the time) i spent 500$ on it and im not about to throw it away for the simple fact it is not what i want anymore
Old 02-27-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by blackngold20
pointless post....does it really matter??? Are you really losing sleep at night because someone wants a different head unit in there own car. Who cares, they pay for it!:
lol. i didn't see the reason for the post.

thats ricer. i don't think a headunit is. lol.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
hahaha sounds like my neighbor, hates my stereo, and hates how my dad has a 5 speaker outdoor and 4 speaker indoor system in my back garage!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by cobalt_driver
lol. i didn't see the reason for the post.

thats ricer. i don't think a headunit is. lol.
yeah it is lol...there's one like that where I am. Its all red with japanese writing all over it. I'm like ok, and its a cavy..
Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 AM

thats ur preference. And personally, i got the Pioneer Avic Z1 because i like a interface of having all in one, just like the iPhone. Now i have navigation, xm, sirius, ipod, mp3, 2 aux jacks, back up camera, and a hard drive with 20 gig.

Now call it what you will, if the stock unit came anywhere near that, i would not have purchased a 2500 hu. Besides, like you said, to each their own. If you like the stock hu, keep it. But i liked my A/M H/U. Its very flush, and when ppl get in my car, they say "man, was that stock or did u put that in urself". thats what I like to hear.

That is all.

Quick Reply: Why do you need an aftermarket HU? What is with all of this Junk?