Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Why do you need an aftermarket HU? What is with all of this Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackngold20
yeah it is lol...there's one like that where I am. Its all red with japanese writing all over it. I'm like ok, and its a cavy..
nah i can one-up both of you, i snapped this pic of a cavy at my school

where the soy sauce at?!

ON TOPIC: i can see the OP's point i just think he took it a bit far. i've been thinking about/looking at aftermarket HU's for a bit and my one concern is messing up with the flow of my interior. ill take any sound over the sound of the stock HU but i dont want a head unit backlit by 15 different colored LEDs. THAT in my opinion isn't ricey per say, but it will make your interior look terrible.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:52 PM

I agree that I don't really like the look of most of them. I have my stock unit hooked up to 2 12"s and it works great. I too don't like how it "messes the flow of the interior" (i dont know how to post quotes) but some of these double-din ones on here look great, I've been looking into them and hopefully will get a nice unit during the summer. A buddy of mine bought a new avenger last summer, picked it up down in texas (we're in northwestern ontario) the unit that comes with blew my mind. He'd put cd's in...it would download and save the songs, so he wouldn't have to use the cd anymore. Quite jealous. I'm hoping to run some sorta carputer too, to keep tons of songs on. I wouldn't mind dvd, mp3, ipod, cd and gps. Everything comes in handy at some point.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 AM

I bought my headunit because it had a USB port to use a thumb drive that basically gives me access to a library of music, subwoofer out, etc. I thought about the double din navigation units, but I already have GPS on my windows mobile phone with Tom Tom that I can upgrade anytime to the latest version, so I wouldn't touch the GPS if I got it, same goes for movies. I can think of other things to spend $600+ ($1000+ in the case of the high end pioneer units). Nothing beats having a turn dial knob, a head unit without one fails. Touchscreens are great, but they don't provide the same level of tactile feedback yet that is very important with a stereo.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:37 AM
pik

this thread made me laugh. . .

you're right the stock head is amazing! let me adjust my crossover- what? no crossover!
let me adjust my EQ- what? no EQ! (low-mid-high is not eq)
and I'm sure GM thought to spend the extra money on 24-bit DACs right? sure. . .

I don't agree with having crap subs and a crap amp and calling it a system. . .not my thing but to each there own.

I do however believe in sound quality, a set of sweet components up front, realize that there is no rear speakers in a SQ setup, realistic sub-bass. I do know how to properly set the gains on an amp and know it is not a second volume knob.

I spend hours in my car all day and thats where i want my music to sound its best, I've spent more on sound deadening than most people do on their entire "systems"

seriously man help out people or how about just don't read this section?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 AM

alright man, we hear ya. next time just go beat up a ricer with a system
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 AM

Aftermarket HU are rice now? Wow new news to me... I guess i better take back my double din bc its rice.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:39 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
come on pdub i was expecting better

Originally Posted by pik
this thread made me laugh. . .

you're right the stock head is amazing! let me adjust my crossover- what? no crossover!
let me adjust my EQ- what? no EQ! (low-mid-high is not eq)
and I'm sure GM thought to spend the extra money on 24-bit DACs right? sure. . .

I don't agree with having crap subs and a crap amp and calling it a system. . .not my thing but to each there own.

I do however believe in sound quality, a set of sweet components up front, realize that there is no rear speakers in a SQ setup, realistic sub-bass. I do know how to properly set the gains on an amp and know it is not a second volume knob.

I spend hours in my car all day and thats where i want my music to sound its best, I've spent more on sound deadening than most people do on their entire "systems"

seriously man help out people or how about just don't read this section?
hell ya what all have you done so far sound deadening wise?

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 02-28-2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 95cam86roc
Aftermarket HU are rice now? Wow new news to me... I guess i better take back my double din bc its rice.
hush, your radio is sex!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Laaawwwlll
Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 AM

wow

Dude, did you forget your medication today? I mean damn, im not a car audio guy, i could care less about car audio. #1 it weighs to much and slows you down. #2 i listen to metal, not much need for bass. Anyway, you need to calm down man. Wow.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:24 AM

This thread is lawlarious
Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 AM

Audio is not all about bass and volume.

I swapped my h/u because I needed aux in and pre-amp out (had a 12" laying around). A proper EQ is mighty nice too.

Honestly, if I had a '07 with aux input equipped factory h/u, I'm not sure if I would have even bothered swapping in my old pioneer h/u. But because I was going to anyway I went ahead and wired in an amp and 12" sub.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:42 AM

since we're on the topics of head units...

can anyone here recommend a nice double din head unit? i'm finally looking to ditch the factory 6 disk player but want a "stock" look by keeping the double din HU.

i don't need nav or an LCD...just something with mp3 capabilities and an AUX hookup in the front for an mp3 player.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
since we're on the topics of head units...

can anyone here recommend a nice double din head unit? i'm finally looking to ditch the factory 6 disk player but want a "stock" look by keeping the double din HU.

i don't need nav or an LCD...just something with mp3 capabilities and an AUX hookup in the front for an mp3 player.
whats the purpose of getting a double din then? If you don't want nav or LCD then u might as well stay where you are. Seriously. Not trying to be a dick. Just speaking the truth.

However, if you were looking for one of the double din's that have the store on the bottom, im not sure what kind is the best, but i can tell you from experience that the pioneer avic z1 is working wonders for me.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by JRelly
This thread is lawlarious
Hahaha... NEW word of the month for me!

That's lawlarious!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Hahaha... NEW word of the month for me!

That's lawlarious!
better hurry up, only 2 days left in the month.. lawl
Old 02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
I might but a bill in with congress and get it passed as March's word of the month too...
Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by pdub
I like to stock look. I don't like the ricer look of aftermkaret hu. They can be obnoxious, especially when they glow and they never really match the car. Where is the class?
wuT? Cobalts have class?

I hear it too many times that just replacing your hu with a simple 150 dollar BestBuy Made in China deck will solve your problems and that factory systems have shitty output.
Even a $150 best buy made in china one will be an improvement over the $40 made in china factory one.

First, let's be realistic, this is car audio. The reality is that the acoustics of a vehicle cabin cannot cater to all audiophiles.
First, let's be realistic you do not know what an audiophile is.

Second, where is the creativity? I argue that one may achieve great sound quality with simple upgrades that don't involve replacing a hu or adding 20 hideous speakers.
Using factory equipment is real creative? You need a good platform first.
A set of quality components in the front and a sub in the trunk can make for a good setup.

Aftermarket HUs that resemble a glowing orb, have flip or tilt capabilites or 2 inch screens with that ugly single din "compartment" space below, how does that look good or even provide practical function?
Get a double din unit they usually come with a 7in screen and no ugly compartment. They have one's that have navigation and provide engine data

So with that said, I don't understand how people think stock HUs are shitty or ugly.
You only think it's not shitty because you haven't heard anything better

To each their own, but the person who knows how to spend money and what they are talking about knows better to get audio equipment that doesn't just sit in the car. I will never understand how some people spend thousands on their car radio. Is it to make yourself feel better about something?
Yes, it makes myself feel better to have something better.

Invest in home audio or perhaps something that would benefit you in the future! Not a 500 dollar sub and box that you throw in your trunk only to sell it online less than a year later for a third of the price to fend off collection agencies because you don't know how to spend money.
Some of the main components of my stereo system are almost 7 years old and have been in two different cars. Majority of time I listen to music is while I'm in my car. I'm rarely at home.

From the rest of the crap you posted it sounds like you got beat up by someone who had a loud stereo and left with your girl
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM

i used to be really into car auto and things like that, but now i'm more about performance... stock is just gravy with me.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 AM

haha, yeah, I agree that it totally sounds like this guy is terribly jealous/pissed of/at someone.

I'm not about audio, I prefer performance and a little audio, so the stock sub is good for me. But how is a touch-screen 7 inch flip screen not more pimp than the stock green with turny knobs...lol.

What a douche. Someone ban him.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM

i think we should **** him off by sending his car to PIMP MY RIDE. haha, he would kill someone then
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 AM

wut happened to the op?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 AM

Take me for an example. I had the stock LS that doesn't even have power windows. I couldn't even play MP3's or CDs really for that matter. Just because we want to have something original and make our vehicles the way that we want them, whether that be with car audio or tuning the engine. For me, I have no use for doing the engine, but anyone who wants to do it, more power to them! That's awesome! But for me and the other people in this forum, we actually care about our car audio whether you do or not (especially me being a music major) Next, I'll just go in the car performance forum and bash what they like....let's just have a big bash fest...

Lets grow up dude, get a life rather than ranting about something that you know nothing about and seriously can't handle...you can't even post a reply....
Old 02-28-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i just want a hu. with 4v preouts and can read folders and sub folders. i have a whole collection of cds that are orginzed by geren>artist>albulm-songs , that i cant listin to in my car .

and granted the car isnt the best invoment for good music, but you can deffently do better than stock. LOC's are ok , if you like to amplfie crap. you can really tell the diffrence with a head unit that nice clean pre-outs with almost zero white noise.

and i spend money(havent yet on this car but i plan to) on caraudio becasue its a hobbie , and i spend alot of time in my car, (45min-1hr one way to and from work)

i agree with you on the 150 best buy sale units , they dont offer much above stock quilaty.and i disagree with aholes with 145-150db sound systems that drive around rattleing the **** out of everthing. but carma will take care of them, hearing loss starts at 110db lol

Originally Posted by Dead Zen
#2 i listen to metal, not much need for bass. .

Biggest miscomputation in the world of car audio ever…
If I set you down in a properly tuned audiophile SQ set up I guarantee you , you would never be able to listen to your stock stereo again with out thinking about how much of the music your missing out on. Subs aren’t just to rattle trunks…there to produce low frequencies that smaller speakers cant reproduce properly . things like the low end humm of a guitar, the sound of a base guitar , the kick and in your chest rumble form ..slipknots double base . iv sold complete systems to all kinds of people ,old people that like classical ,country music fans, rock fans……just by sitting them in my old car , and letting them play some of there fav cds with the sub on then the sub off . having a high power system with multiple amps is a great thing when used the right way. when the subs are tuned to blend with the music you cant tell the subs are behind you , its like your at a consert with the band playing infront of you.

our factory pioneer stereo is nice , but all the cross over points for the protection on the speakers as apposed to blending everything together.

Last edited by phatnackySS; 02-28-2008 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Why do you need an aftermarket HU? What is with all of this Junk?