Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Why do you need an aftermarket HU? What is with all of this Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm completely content with my factory stereo, so factory it shall remain.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn... Someone needs a hug

I use this one:

VRVD640G GPS Navigation System and DVD Player

Got it from good old Wally World. Does everything I need. Play MP3s from DVD, plays all kinds of music from any USB flash drive or SD memory card, nice GPS navigation, easily wired to the factory Pioneer system, sounds great. Was only $388 too
Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mines_Better
i like to watch movies on those long road trips. well, its more like "glance" at movies, haha! mine doesnt look bad at all since it takes up the whole space and blends nicely. 7 inch screen.
Same here!!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltguy88
Same here!!
Haha yeah I just "watch" movies that I have already seen so I can just listen along and know whats going on the screen without having to look, but still laugh.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Hahaha... NEW word of the month for me!

That's lawlarious!
I thought someone would like that
Old 02-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Lol...how'd you come up with that?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by kfryman06cobalt
Lol...how'd you come up with that?
Just put 2 words together. And Im pretty much a genius
Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by IonNinja
since we're on the topics of head units...

can anyone here recommend a nice double din head unit? i'm finally looking to ditch the factory 6 disk player but want a "stock" look by keeping the double din HU.

i don't need nav or an LCD...just something with mp3 capabilities and an AUX hookup in the front for an mp3 player.
look at the pioneer 800 thats going to be coming out soon
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM
pik

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
look at the pioneer 800 thats going to be coming out soon
Agreed dude, for what he wants that would fit the bill, clarion has one like that too. i'm waiting on the other 800 tho the DEH-P800PRS
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 410 Likes on 352 Posts
UNsubscribing...
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
hush, your radio is sex!
thank you sir.... now hushing

Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 PM

So you calling my Panasonic DVD Flatscreen is rice?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Coblt ss super
So you calling my Panasonic DVD Flatscreen is rice?
Yep and my touchscreen Kenwood thats a double din.....
Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 PM

hi. just wanted to say thanks for replies. yah there was no real reason or point to my post. i was wodering how pissed people would get or how defensive the e-thugs would be. i dont hate aftermarket and yeah i do get pissed at thugs that install **** systems and they are like, aaaaahh **** that's tight yo. lol, anyway, these are internets so just relax and enjoy my rant. k? bye
Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 AM

I actually agree with the post.....TO AN EXTENT.

I AM an audiophile. but one that doesn't expect that paying top dollar will fix my audio. I am runnings stock MP3 deck on my 07 ls. It's totally not gonna be stolen and actually makes your vehicle a next to null target. you could have as many subs and speakers hidden away and your vehicle would be treated like stock.

a criminal sees an aftermarket and will go for it, and ya know what REMOVING your faceplate tells a smart criminal? That you probably have even more. lol.

personally my ideal(best bang for the buck) setup is going to include the pentium 3 computer sitting in my closet and exceptional vrms audio output to a 4 channel hifonics zeus, my current hifonics brutus sub amp, and a 7" touchscreen/usb/sd card/dvd DRIVE combo( yea I said DRIVE not DVD player, simmer on that. Infinity Kappa's in the front and JBL 6x9's in the back. And I'd like to get my hands on a Xtant 12" hexi sometime.

Aight im done.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by 95cam86roc
Yep and my touchscreen Kenwood thats a double din.....
yeah i got a Panasonic Double Din Flatscreen, i LOVE IT!!! haha nothings better than playing videos in a parking lot and chicks love it and stay on your whip all night long.

Originally Posted by pdub
hi. just wanted to say thanks for replies. yah there was no real reason or point to my post. i was wodering how pissed people would get or how defensive the e-thugs would be. i dont hate aftermarket and yeah i do get pissed at thugs that install **** systems and they are like, aaaaahh **** that's tight yo. lol, anyway, these are internets so just relax and enjoy my rant. k? bye
huh? my system is Legit, Panasonic Double Din 6.5" Flatscreen, and then JL Audio 500/1, JL Audio 10W7

Last edited by Coblt ss super; 02-29-2008 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-29-2008, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by warrenb213
I actually agree with the post.....TO AN EXTENT.

I AM an audiophile. but one that doesn't expect that paying top dollar will fix my audio. I am runnings stock MP3 deck on my 07 ls. It's totally not gonna be stolen and actually makes your vehicle a next to null target. you could have as many subs and speakers hidden away and your vehicle would be treated like stock.

a criminal sees an aftermarket and will go for it, and ya know what REMOVING your faceplate tells a smart criminal? That you probably have even more. lol.

personally my ideal(best bang for the buck) setup is going to include the pentium 3 computer sitting in my closet and exceptional vrms audio output to a 4 channel hifonics zeus, my current hifonics brutus sub amp, and a 7" touchscreen/usb/sd card/dvd DRIVE combo( yea I said DRIVE not DVD player, simmer on that. Infinity Kappa's in the front and JBL 6x9's in the back. And I'd like to get my hands on a Xtant 12" hexi sometime.

Aight im done.
lol what you really want is an xtant 404m amp forget that leather sub
Old 02-29-2008, 12:35 AM

yeah i got a Panasonic Double Din Flatscreen, i LOVE IT!!! haha nothings better than playing videos in a parking lot and chicks love it and stay on your whip all night long.

huh? my system is Legit, Panasonic Double Din 6.5" Flatscreen, and then JL Audio 500/1, JL Audio 10W7
can u provide us with a picture of these chics that hang out on your whip all night because of the screen? and we would need a set time lapsed pics showing how long (presumably all night) they are staying on your whip
Old 02-29-2008, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by pdub
can u provide us with a picture of these chics that hang out on your whip all night because of the screen? and we would need a set time lapsed pics showing how long (presumably all night) they are staying on your whip
i dont go and take pics, but if you want come by Ossining, Millwood, Yorktown, Yonkers, Plesantville NY anyday and see yourself.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:40 AM

i dont go and take pics, but if you want come by Ossining, Millwood, Yorktown, Yonkers, Plesantville NY anyday and see yourself.
no thanks you seem to be in a ruff hood by the looks of your post of the 4 black kids beatin up a mexican

listn, u know how it is on teh forums.. pics or ban
Old 02-29-2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by devon9832
whats the purpose of getting a double din then?
to keep the factory look

whats wrong with going from one double din setup to another? the main reason I want a deck is to give more power to my speakers...

no reason to ditch the clean factory look for a single din with a cheap looking tray underneath.

i will look into the pioneer unit though...
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 AM

ya that new double din pioneer is damn clean for being a non screen unit.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:23 AM

I keep it stock cause around here a radio is a good way to get a broken window >.<
Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 AM

then u need some dark ass tint and 5 sirens for the alarm

Originally Posted by phatnackySS
i just want a hu. with 4v preouts and can read folders and sub folders. i have a whole collection of cds that are orginzed by geren>artist>albulm-songs , that i cant listin to in my car .

and granted the car isnt the best invoment for good music, but you can deffently do better than stock. LOC's are ok , if you like to amplfie crap. you can really tell the diffrence with a head unit that nice clean pre-outs with almost zero white noise.

and i spend money(havent yet on this car but i plan to) on caraudio becasue its a hobbie , and i spend alot of time in my car, (45min-1hr one way to and from work)

i agree with you on the 150 best buy sale units , they dont offer much above stock quilaty.and i disagree with aholes with 145-150db sound systems that drive around rattleing the **** out of everthing. but carma will take care of them, hearing loss starts at 110db lol

Biggest miscomputation in the world of car audio ever…
If I set you down in a properly tuned audiophile SQ set up I guarantee you , you would never be able to listen to your stock stereo again with out thinking about how much of the music your missing out on. Subs aren’t just to rattle trunks…there to produce low frequencies that smaller speakers cant reproduce properly . things like the low end humm of a guitar, the sound of a base guitar , the kick and in your chest rumble form ..slipknots double base . iv sold complete systems to all kinds of people ,old people that like classical ,country music fans, rock fans……just by sitting them in my old car , and letting them play some of there fav cds with the sub on then the sub off . having a high power system with multiple amps is a great thing when used the right way. when the subs are tuned to blend with the music you cant tell the subs are behind you , its like your at a consert with the band playing infront of you.

our factory pioneer stereo is nice , but all the cross over points for the protection on the speakers as apposed to blending everything together.
hearing loss starts at 90db fool. and very few people have 145-150db systems. But i can show you plenty if you take the drive down here

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 02-29-2008 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
then u need some dark ass tint and 5 sirens for the alarm

hearing loss starts at 90db fool. and very few people have 145-150db systems. But i can show you plenty if you take the drive down here

Actually if you want to get into it, it starts at 85db (if you listen to it for more than 6-7hrs
at 90db it takes 2hrs of continuous use daily for permanent loss. at 110db it only 1-2 mins for damage to happen. anything beound that is just stupid to listen to with out protection. and im talking about the whole system , not just the subs , higher fq take less power to be loud , and are more dangerous to your hearing. a factory stereo can easily exceed 120db(altho sound like crap)

and no thanks on your offer, i know what 150db+ is like , i have the permeant constant ringing in my ears to show for it. one of my old cars was a buick ,i built a system for local comp. 2 12s in a 5cu ft ported box tuned to 45hz(tuned to the resonant frequency of the car) powered by a single 1000wrms amp. the car did 151db at the dash, with the doors and windows shut 155 with the car oppend,i could flip coins off the roof with that car,lol. the car before this (zx2), i was done with the crazy loud systems because i stopped going to car shows , and i learned my lesson (ringing in ears)it had a single audiobahn 12(1251q cheap but worked ) powered by the same amp in a 2.2cuft box tuned to 35hz it did 145.5 at the dash. And iv built many other systems for other people.
even with those systems i never listened to at insane levels, they only got showd off at shows, comps, or just for shiggles, but i always tried to use protection, but there were a few times were i didnt and now i have Tinnitus becasue of it. Even so I still plan to build a new system for the cobalt , but it will be based entirely on sound quality.

If you know what your doing it dosnt take much to reach 150db
and I can bet all the ghetto dwellers that drive around in there police auction crown victoreras on 24s that can rattle windows from 100yrds away are well above 145db.

audiophilea has been my hobby for years, since before I could drive .im not saying im the grand master of car audio, but I have a pretty good understanding of what im talking about.

on a side note ... what else is holding that alt inplace? with out some beefy support it seems like that thing would thow belts left and right and constently come loose

Quick Reply: Why do you need an aftermarket HU? What is with all of this Junk?