Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Will putting in an aftermarket stereo void any warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will putting in an aftermarket stereo void any warranty?

I want to get a Pioneer head unit and 12 disc changer...but Im worried about the warranty and my air bags not working properly and also all the buttons on the steering wheel such as cd player,volume,cruise control not working with the new stereo that will be installed...I am going to get a pro to put my new Pioneer gear in...but do you think there might be a problem with all of those buttons working after the new stereo is in??
Old 03-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eclipsefloyd
I want to get a Pioneer head unit and 12 disc changer...but Im worried about the warranty and my air bags not working properly and also all the buttons on the steering wheel such as cd player,volume,cruise control not working with the new stereo that will be installed...I am going to get a pro to put my new Pioneer gear in...but do you think there might be a problem with all of those buttons working after the new stereo is in??
If you take it to a place that does all that, you’ll have no problems. Also, as far as I know the warranty is not voided by replacing the stereo.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:47 PM

I heard it CAN void it..... I think if you go to the dealer them selfs.... and have them put it in i THINK you are ok!.....

BUT becarfull... there are some threads on here that explains all the wireing behind the stock radio.... Electrical Nightmare...... Door chimes, alarms, airbags.. and whatever else!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:08 PM

Well, it's the same as an aftermarket exhaust. In order for the warentee to TECHNICALLY be viod, they have to show how the part DIRECTLY caused the failure.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:10 PM

The techs were telling me something about... "" if you splice the wires"" or something like that... U automaticly void it???!!!... Hmmmm I need to find out some solid info on all this..!!..

This is a good thread..!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 AM

I heard about the whole wiring nightmare thing behind the dash. I've had my stereo in for a month now and not a single problem. Lost options by installing aftermarket stereos are as follows. Door Chimes and now the music turns off when u cut the power, not when u open the door. Checked with some people at more than a couple of Big Box stores that install stereo. If any wiring problems occur as a direct result of the stereo being replaced by a licensed tech, you are entitled to full compesastion to fix the problem and full rebate on the install. Now, that is here in Canada, I'm not sure about the states, but I imagine it is the same, so keep your install reciepts and tickets guys, in the event that the worst does happen, as far as I know, you are covered, but like I say, nothing has happened on my vehicle yet. Not even a hiccup.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by ircmaxell
Well, it's the same as an aftermarket exhaust. In order for the warentee to TECHNICALLY be viod, they have to show how the part DIRECTLY caused the failure.
It really depends on the dealer. I would go and ask the dealer first and see what they say about the after market stero and the disc changer. I'm sure they won't care. Like ircmaxell said they have to prove that the stero cause the whatever failure happened to the car.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 AM

So you lose the door chimes??
Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 AM

So you lose the door chimes...what about all the buttons on the steering wheel...volume,change song and cruise control...I'm mostly worried that I'll lose those buttons on the wheel...which I dont want to at all!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:43 PM

I called crutchfield and talked to them about a factory wiring harness. They said that there is one if you have the Non Pioneer option. As of now, they do not have one for the the cobalt with the Pioneer option. The tech told me that they are in the process of getting one that does work. So hopfully when replacing the stereo it will not affect the other systems.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt any of the steering wheel buttons will work. I replaced the Factory stereo in my S10 and I ended up being a bit sorry, first the speed volume didn't work anymore, and I lost RDS and the stereo I replaced it with had a sucky ass user interface. Make sure that your new stereo has a nice interface. If you have a pro doing the install I am sure they are aware of all these issues.

As for warrenty if you try to install an aftermarket stereo in your car and you fry your computer you can bet that it won't be covered under warrenty. Anything that can remotely be attributed to the radio (anything electrical) breaks you can bet the fingers will be pointing at your aftermarket stereo. If the engine leaks oil or something totally non related the dealer has to warrenty it. Last I checked you can fit 10-12 CD's worth of music on a single MP3 CD
Old 03-15-2005, 05:38 PM

Looks like I'll have to learn how to burn mp3's...I been burning for years the regular way on cdr's using wave file...anybody have any advice on how to get 10 disc's worth of music on 1 cdr??
Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by eclipsefloyd
Looks like I'll have to learn how to burn mp3's...I been burning for years the regular way on cdr's using wave file...anybody have any advice on how to get 10 disc's worth of music on 1 cdr??
Yeah, you just put the mp3's on the disc like you did with the wav files.

As far as the warranty, Zinner's right again. You lose more than you gain, and anything wrong with the electrical system, DIC, onboard computer, whatever, could be attributed to the aftermarket install.

There's one person who has had problems with his Cobalt, and had to have it "re-programmed." It was running "like it was in 5th gear" the whole time. I'd be willing to bet that if there was an aftermarket radio, they'd blame that on it too. So be careful.

Villain
Old 03-15-2005, 08:26 PM

I'm going to put my final thought on all this (I think)............

The FACTORY radio is not that bad at all..... Lets sit down and think for a minute....

Factory radio has all those nice little things it can do, "what station is playing, DJ's Name, Songs Name, You can control it from the steering whell"

It ONLY, AND I SAY O N L Y depends on what radio you ordered from the dealer... Can you play MP3's, XM stuff like that...... {{{{{{{{{{Whats the purpose of adding an aftermarket radio????? }}}}}}}}}}}} <--- I can see if it's one of the older ones.. Like in my 88 Beretta, that radio was HURTING... and it was so big!!! SO I took it out and put in a Pioneer DEH 6500 .....

I AM GOING TO ASSUME that WE ALL WANT SOUND OVER ALL.. So leave the radio to way it is.. and change the speakers in the doors and rear deck... THis way the are basicaly hidden from "eye" Make sure you have the right OHMs... Go as far as adding a Sub Box in the back.. and there you go!... Or do what I am going to do... Get a WHOLE DVD system with a detachable screen, RF MODULATOR for like $600... There is no splicing.. I just have to turn the STOCK radio down to (I think it's ) 88.7FM... and turn the DVD player on.. there I go!>....

My point is... SOUND... screw looks.. Like someone else said in one of the other post on this topic... YOU HAVE A LOT TO LOOSE if you are looking for the fancy Head Units PLUS it's a nightmare behind the radio....

OK thats all.... (( wow.. to much typing!! lolol ))
Old 03-15-2005, 08:34 PM

There is a way to keep you steering wheel controls. with the aftermarket radio.
A company called Pacific Accessory Corp. http://www.pac-audio.com .
Old 04-07-2005, 02:23 AM

You need a special harness (IE scosche's pac-module, or Metra's GM06B) in order for you to basically not get screwed. Anyone who owned a cavy from yr 2000 and up need this also. Your airbags, a/c etc is spider through your deck. If you lost your door chime out of your door speaker I'd seriously look into this. I speak from expierence as I've seen airbags blow for no reason because of this. And no it doesnt viod your warranty AS LONG as it is professionally installed because then the shop covers your ass for you.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:50 PM

get it installed by a certified installer, then if any problems arise, its back on them, as far as wiring goes, thats all bullshit, a harness is a harness, you plug it in, it works
theres no 'nightmare' that you havta splice wires with and all that ****

get it installed professionally and u wont have problems
Old 05-12-2005, 03:02 PM

I was recently told as long as you don't cut any factory wiring, the warranty is fine. The only problem I have around here is stuff like "cobalt?? who makes that?" I live in a little hick community. Any ways it sounds like if you have the sucky bone stock everything on your cobalt like I do The only place to go is upgrade. I am going to contact install shops in actual cities around here and see if I can get any straight answers.