Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

WTF!! LAN 04 install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF!! LAN 04 install

I have been getting ready to install my new F90-BT and I am having issues with the LAN 04...Keep in mind that I have aftermarket amps/speakers and I am no longer using the factory amp...

How the heck do you hook up the LAN?... the instructions suck and I can't find anything in AVIC about hooking up an aftermarket amp to the LAN....

How can you use the GM LAN-04 with aftermarket amps without losing any features? Do you have to run an additional speaker for the door chimes, etc..? If so what wires do you tap?

Is there a PIN out of the GM LAN harness? If we do tap into the signal after the LAN, will it introduce noise to the system?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
did you buy the lan harness to keep door chimes/onstar or what was the plan there? you could Y split the fronts to the amp/lan and connect speaker wires after the amp under the dash . cap off all the amp wires other then the front left and hook up a small 4" down there. so you get chimes/onstar and aftermarket amp powering the speakers
Old 02-22-2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
did you buy the lan harness to keep door chimes/onstar or what was the plan there? you could Y split the fronts to the amp/lan and connect speaker wires after the amp under the dash . cap off all the amp wires other then the front left and hook up a small 4" down there. so you get chimes/onstar and aftermarket amp powering the speakers
Yeah, I was looking to keep all of the chimes/etc... we tried doing a y split off of the LAN itself and it didn't work... we still lost everything and the noise it added to the stream was terrible. We are going to hook the factory amp back up to the additional speaker...hopefully this will work...looks like you can't get around the factory amp if you are using a LAN
Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 AM

right you are going to want to use the lan and stock amp for chimes only. the actual audio would be all thru the rca outs on the pioneer.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just used the stock wires and zap straped a 2" up under my dash, eveything else in the car is aftermarket, that 2" is the only thing that runs off the stock amp
Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Ok...we tried simply removing one of the y splits and adding the extra speaker but it didn't work...now we will be taking the entire LAN back to stock (there is one more y split to remove)...It seems that compromising the LAN at all will result in it not functioning properly....

Btw... Thanks for the input...

The radio is extremely nice, but I am starting to wonder if it is worth it...I am in too deep now though...I will see this to the finish...
Old 02-22-2009, 12:54 PM

back to stock? what all is going on there

can i get some pics before you rip everything apart? where do you have the aftermarket amp speaker wires going
Old 02-22-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
back to stock? what all is going on there

can i get some pics before you rip everything apart? where do you have the aftermarket amp speaker wires going

Ok...we have everything fixed... We took the LAN back to stock...originally we tried splicing into the outlets from the LAN in order to go around the factory amp, but that didn't work...apparently you can not mess with the almighty LAN nor can you avoid using the factory amp if you want chimes/etc... We ended up running a small speaker off the factory amp for the chimes and it is working really well. We moved our y splices to split off of the head unit itself and that worked...of course you have to do the right and the left in order to satisfy the LAN...We were able to ignore the rear left/right rca cable for the LAN which helped when it came to wrapping things up. The PAC turned out to be one of the easier things to install...after programming it three times...it works great (make sure you read/memorize the directions for this item before you program)...Now the only thing left to do it mount the extra speaker, try to put the factory amp back (ha!), and put the car back together....

Thanks again everyone...and to everyone else considering this install...before committing yourself to this, think about what you want to lose in the long run. If the answer is nothing, then be prepared to pull out vast amounts of your own hair, update you internet search skills, pay someone else, or you can send me a pm and I will try to point out our lessons learned...

Btw the unit is awesome and it really does do everything and then some...
Old 02-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can. I'm doing it right now and what you have done is made it alot more complicated than it needs to be.

1) install the lan, (wire it up)
2) put in the HU, but do not plug in the RCA's from the lan, just tape them off and forget about them.
3)Plug in the aftermarket RCA's that run to your amps
4 Go to the molex that runs through the drivers door, find the grey (-) and tan (+) wires and hook them up to the speaker that you want to use for chimes
Your done.
The lan recieves a signal from the BCM for the chimes not from the unit it self. So the RCA's from the Lan need not be pluged in to get the chimes, trust me I have the same thing in my car, an 07 SS/SC
There is a saying around here, K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid
(not that I'm calling you stupid but you get the point)
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
Yes you can. I'm doing it right now and what you have done is made it alot more complicated than it needs to be.

1) install the lan, (wire it up)
2) put in the HU, but do not plug in the RCA's from the lan, just tape them off and forget about them.
3)Plug in the aftermarket RCA's that run to your amps
4 Go to the molex that runs through the drivers door, find the grey (-) and tan (+) wires and hook them up to the speaker that you want to use for chimes
Your done.
The lan recieves a signal from the BCM for the chimes not from the unit it self. So the RCA's from the Lan need not be pluged in to get the chimes, trust me I have the same thing in my car, an 07 SS/SC
There is a saying around here, K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid
(not that I'm calling you stupid but you get the point)
Hmm...if you say so...this worked and worked very well. We finished putting the car back together and we ended up with a clean install and no background noise in the signal...also we didn't end up with the radio trying to play through the additional speaker....this allowed us to utilize a less expensive additional speaker for the chimes that didn't interfere with the rest of the sound quality (we placed the additional one under the driver's seat)...win...win...period...I hope that yours turns out just as well....