Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Zune/other MP3 device to Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zune/other MP3 device to Cobalt

Hey guys.

Alrighty. I know that I've posted quite a bit in other peoples aftermarket headunit posts. Well, here's my own...

I want to be able to use my Zune (this could also applyto anyone elses iPod, Zune, or similar MP3 player) in my Cobalt. It's the 06 SS with Pioneer audio and factory MP3 player. It's not the 07 with the aux in. If it was, I wouldn't be posting. lol. I might be taking a job in Florida starting this summer, and I will have a long trip down there. I don't want to take a trillion CD's. Here's a few ideas...

1. It sounds like you can buy an aftermarket radio (Alpine for 150), the dash and wiring kit from C-A (50), and the steering wheel adaptor (50) and do an aftermarket radio in an afternoon. So that'd be around 250-300 depending on radio. It also sounds like this is compatible with the factory system. But I need to make sure. DIC also. If I can't reset my tire cauge, oil gauge, MPG readout, etc., eff that. So will it be fully compatible with the factory speakers/amp and the DIC?

2. I heard you can hardwire? WTF is that? Explain. lol.

3. Can you use the 07 Cobalt MP3 aux radio as a plug n play, or is it different? I wondered this for awhile. But knowing most factory stuff, it probably costs as much as replacing it with an Alpine.

4. Any other ideas? I don't have a tape slot for the tape adaptor, and I effin HATE FM transmitters.

Please help!!!

Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 PM

i have the same problem.. minus the 1000 miles of driving
Old 01-25-2007, 01:46 PM

I got one of the cheap FM transmitter things (A griffin unit, for my sansa mp3 player)

It works alright, but I would like to know of a better way. I think if you could do the same thing (FM transmitter) except directly into the antenna wire, it would work really well. But, having the small transmitter in the car doesn't always work so nicely.

If you need a quick, easy solution, this might work for you, but it will leave you still wanting better sound quality, etc. I would really like to figure out how to adapt something like this to interface directly into the antenna lead wire in the back of the head unit, I think it would come in well in that scenario.

Another downside, of course, is your steering wheel controls wont work on the mp3 player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
Searchy, Searchy:
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ght=mp3+player

Still not steering wheel controls, but I may have to do this one... Seems like the sound quality would be pretty good. One of them said it sounds like a good strong FM station.

Last edited by Johnboy12358; 01-25-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-25-2007, 01:55 PM

Yeah, I even bought the actual Zune FM adaptor, and the reception was terrible. I usually don't have my antenna on, but even when it was on, it sounded bad. That's why I say "Eff FM transmitters". lol.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Well, I am wondering how this hard wired FM transmitter would work. I think I would like to find out though. But I've got the same thing on the transmitter for my sansa, its alright, but not something that I want to keep using.

---
I'm flipping through the reviews on Crutchfield for that unit, and most of them are good. Its got an Avg 4/5 star rating.

Last edited by Johnboy12358; 01-25-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM

I have posted this before. Not sure if it works with other mp3 players but works well for ipod. It is preaty much plug and play with only two wires to connect for power.

I found this on e-bay, bought it, installed it and it works like they say. Great sound.

scroll down and read the advertisment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-2006-CHEVY-...QQcmdZViewItem

Buy the way. If you reside in Canada canadian tire is also stocking a similar unit. the only draw back is it does not come with the wiring harness. You can get them to order it in for you. here is a link to the company that suplies them.

This is the t-harness required
http://www.americaninternational.net...GM31T_3-06.pdf

This is the unit sold at Canadian tire. if you can't find it there, contact the company dirrectly and they will ship it to you. there contact information is on the first page of the pdf.
http://www.americaninternational.net...C-X2i_3-06.pdf

Last edited by Kaisoboy; 01-25-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-25-2007, 08:20 PM

they dont have anything like this for other mp3 players do they?
Would you say this gives CD quality?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:29 PM

just get a new headunit. one with a line in or ipod adapter or aux. 07 doesnt not directly plug and play so forget about that.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 PM

If I get the new headunit, can anyone confirm the DIC operates exactly as normal where you can scan and clear? If not, I'm not doing it.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 AM

yes it is cd quality.

I am not sure if they have any for different mp3 player. Contact them. I am sure they will be willing to help you.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:55 AM

The stereo has NO effect on the DIC. You do NOT need the $150 Harness. The cheapest Alpine you will find with iPod capability is $200 and $30 for the cable, or you could get the next lower model for $179 and use the RCA to AI-Net Adapter($20) and that makes an Aux input.

Well, I take that back, the new(2007 lineup) Alpines are cheaper and look NICE. I may have to go pick me up one now.
I personally would go for the Alpine CDE-9883, it's $200(My bare minimum for a HU). And get the KCE-422i(iPod interface $30). But then again you have a Zune and theres no Direct interface for the Zune yet so You'd either have to go with the RCA to AI-net Adapter ($15) or the USB to AI-Net adapter($150)

Of course I'm an Alpine Fanboi so thats just me.

Pics of mine:

(Amp has since been mounted to the back of the flip down seats)
Old 01-26-2007, 03:30 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
If I get the new headunit, can anyone confirm the DIC operates exactly as normal where you can scan and clear? If not, I'm not doing it.
look i understand your situation and with so much bad info what works and doesnt gets a little gray instead of black and white. So here is a quick way to figure out what works and doesnt.... Unplug your radio. If the dic works (and it will) with the radio unplugged then it wont suddenly stop working. Now if you have onstar and would like to keep the sounds or what not then supposivly you do need the pricy harness... i dont have it so i dont care but if you do do the same test as above. If you can still hear onstar or what not with the radio off then you dont need the harness
Old 01-26-2007, 05:28 AM

As far as head units go there are no aftermarket head units that are Zune specific. Your best bet is a stereo with an aux input to plug into your headphone jack. There are other things you can do as well like a peripheral audio2car system but I don't know if they are available for 07's yet just don't buy an fm transmiter they suck. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and hopefully there will be more options in the future as I have a Zune as well.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:08 AM

I was just gonna go buy a radio (the Alpine that was 150 to 170) then just go buy the cord from Wal Mart that plugs into the back of the radio and has a cord hanging under your dash that you plug into the MP3 player of your choice. It's 5 bucks. That's how my friends is in his CRX.

Lastly, the aftermarket radio will be completely friendly with the Pioneer speakers, sub, and built in amp? Because I am not changing any of that... loll.

Thanks so much guys!!
Old 01-26-2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
I have posted this before. Not sure if it works with other mp3 players but works well for ipod. It is preaty much plug and play with only two wires to connect for power.

I found this on e-bay, bought it, installed it and it works like they say. Great sound.

scroll down and read the advertisment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-2006-CHEVY-...QQcmdZViewItem

Buy the way. If you reside in Canada canadian tire is also stocking a similar unit. the only draw back is it does not come with the wiring harness. You can get them to order it in for you. here is a link to the company that suplies them.

This is the t-harness required
http://www.americaninternational.net...GM31T_3-06.pdf

This is the unit sold at Canadian tire. if you can't find it there, contact the company dirrectly and they will ship it to you. there contact information is on the first page of the pdf.
http://www.americaninternational.net...C-X2i_3-06.pdf

How easy is the install and is it worth the money. Can you still use your cd player too. And is there anyway to bypass the blockage of the use of the click wheel?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Yes you The unit has two modes manual and Auto. The auto setting you can't use the click wheel manual you can. In auto mode it your iPod controls run through the head unit and steering wheel controles.

Yes the CD player still works.

I get CD quality sound, it all depends on the quality of bit rate you downloaded your music at.

The unit is easy to instal. All you need to do is plug it in then find a 12volt constant power wire and a ground wire. I used wire splice connector for both once I found a 12 volt constant wire and ground wire.

If you phone there support line they will answer any instalation questions you may have

I'm at work right now, but when I get home I have a instruction pdf that I can't seem to find on there web site that explains the functions better. I will post it later.

P.S. There is no real splicing require for this unit, so you will not have to bastardize your wiring. That is what I liked about it.
Cheers
Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Again, will the aftermarket radio be completely compliant with the Pioneer speakers, sub, and amp? Just plug and play like installing any other radio?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:24 PM

i've got an after market Pioneer deck in my car...can't remember the number off hand, but it's nothing fancy ($150). I went on ebay and snagged the Pioneer iPod interface for 40 bucks...it plugs right into the back of all new Pioneer decks, it charges the ipod and lets you change the songs/artist/playlist/genre right on the deck. There's no steering wheel controls but i don't care. I ran the cable to the little drawer thing to the left of the steering wheel and no one is the wiser, very clean and very easy...and the DIC works fine, as does everything else.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:29 PM

Word. So just completely plug and play (in regards to the radio) and everything works as is? So my synopsis or pricing (150 for radio, 50 for dash kit, 50 for steering wheel adaptor) is basically all you need aside from the MP3 cable?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
your aftermarket radio would need high level outputs or you would have to custom make some (ive seen someone do the rca to speaker wire but you may be able to get away with just cutting off the connectors from one side)
Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 PM

^^

What's that mean?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:14 PM

i also wanna know if aftermarket units will be friendly for the 7 speaker pioneer setup
Old 01-26-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
Word. So just completely plug and play (in regards to the radio) and everything works as is? So my synopsis or pricing (150 for radio, 50 for dash kit, 50 for steering wheel adaptor) is basically all you need aside from the MP3 cable?
not sure what Emporer is talking about but...buy the deck at crutchfield.com and they give you dash kit and wire harness free. I have the 7 speaker Pioneer system, everything works perfect. You just have to make sure you connect the light blue wire to turn on the amp (it might be light blue with white stripe).

It's just like hooking up any other aftermarket deck in any other car. The only weird thing was running the power to the fuse box (which i used my sunroof fuse, so i could keep the courtesy power after the key is off).
Old 01-27-2007, 02:21 AM

new radio with ipod connection(aux. or ipod interface) or FM MOD.

new radio will always win!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:30 AM

Lastly, any links to a DIY of the install? If I choose to do it myself, I surely don't want to break anything. lol. Visual install is always best... OR, would you suggest I take it to a shop? I really don't care if I do it myself if it's not too hard, and I can't really damage too much. lol. Thanks!

Also, is that whole fuse connection thing for the actual power to the deck? If you connect it to the sunroof that'll let it stay on like the factory deck without keys in it, right? And what's with the amp wire?

Quick Reply: Zune/other MP3 device to Cobalt