Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Hahn Racecraft turbo kit news

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hahn Racecraft turbo kit news

I got this today, sounded exciting, thought I'd share...

Hello Geoff,

You'll be pleased to learn that unlike our Cavalier-Sunfire Ecotec turbosystem, our new Cobalt offering will also fit the auto trans version. We decided to include the auto this time due to the recent availablity and development of upgrade components for the transaxle, options not available when we were designing the Cav-Sun system back in 2002.

The standard system is equipped with a journal bearing turbocharger that has proven bulletproof in thousands of installations. We do not offer a ball bearing option.

Achieving your objective of a street-friendly vehicle that can be turned to full power electronically is no problem, as it is a region of dual-purpose we are noted for.

Further mods I would recommend are drive axle upgrades, although the Cobalt does feature the largest, strongest stock axles in its segment. Of course, if you do not plan to mount slicks or drag race it heavily, you might do quite well with the stock units. I can also assist in engine mod advice once you get to that stage. Just some tricks and such that we've learned in building 300-400 HP versions of these engines.

Thanks for considering Hahn RaceCraft!

Boost it,
Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:16 PM
To: Bill Hahn
Subject: 2005 Cobalt Automatic

Mr. Hahn,

Hi there. My name is Geoff and I’m taking delivery of a new 2005 Cobalt in the next couple of weeks. I have some plans for it and have communicated a couple of time with your sales department concerning them. Today I was in the neighborhood of your shop (I’m a Chicago land local) and stopped in. I talked to Brad who told me that everyone was out of town right now for a race but he gave me your email address and asked that I write you about the things we talked about.

First, I understand that Hahn may not pursue a production turbo kit for the Cobalt Automatic. With the limitations of the transmission, I can understand why you would consider that. Should you not manufacture the kit, I am interested in contracting your shop to install a turbo just for my installation if that would be possible. I am addressing the limitations issues on my Cobalt in the following ways;

Immediately upon delivery, I am working with a GM Goodwrench mechanic that operates a garage on the side to take the car and pull the powertrain. We will be replacing the engine rotating assembly with Eagle rods and JE Pistons and having a performance machine shop fit and balance everything. They will also be doing a simple port and polish on the head while it is out. The transmission is being sent to IPT Performance Transmission where they will be providing a “bulletproof” overhaul. Their package includes a limited slip differential, blue plate special clutch plates, high performance torque converter and fluid pump, and many other upgrades. When complete, the engine should be capable of withstanding over 600 HP safely and the transmission is said to withstand over 500 ft/lbs of torque.

I’m not interested in producing that much power, however the build will be a solid platform for whatever I then want to do. This will be an everyday driver on the street. I’m not interested in racing it. I would like to put together a ball-bearing turbo package for the high wear resistance versus a solid bearing. If it would be possible to take you kit for the manual transmission and simply build the different duct work that would be necessary to accommodate the automatic, that would be great. I’m hoping to produce around 300HP, perhaps with a user controllable electronic fuel control system that would allow me to switch between efficient operations and high power operations.

Also, I’m interested in any input you might be able to supply concerning any other strengthening modifications that I should consider prior to installing a turbo. I think I’ve got all my bases covered, but it never hurts to ask a pro.

Thanks for your time, looking forward to hearing from you.

-Geoff
Old 05-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some more correspondence from Hahn...

Got this one today...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 2:31 PM
To: Bill Hahn
Subject: RE: 2005 Cobalt Automatic

That’s very exciting news sir. Thanks for the reply. I’ll look into some axles, good idea. You can assume that I will be purchasing one of your kits. I already have it budgeted and set aside. There are two things I’ve been thinking about that perhaps you could help with…

First, while I have the head out, what are your thoughts on Stainless Steel valve upgrades. I don’t think it will be necessary for the amount of power I am producing. It appears the stock valve train is sufficient.

Second, and more importantly, how about a larger throttle body? This is one area where I am a bit ignorant. I don’t have the size of the stock unit yet, don’t know what’s available in aftermarket, and don’t know what a turbo kit would be best off using.

Thanks again, looking forward to the install. Oh, yeah, can your shop do the install as well? My mechanic and I are capable of doing the job, but since you guys are local to me I thought I’d ask.

-Geoff

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 1:40 PM
To: Geoff
Cc: Sales
Subject: RE: 2005 Cobalt Automatic

For your HP goals, the stock throttle body should suffice. FWIW, this is also a computer-controlled throttle, so changes arent easy or recommended.

Stock valve trains are excellent. Stick with it!

Depending upon staffing at that time, we may be able to perform the install for you, and we would like to if possible. If we are unable to, we will help you find a competent shop to assist.

Thanks for your interest, please stay in touch,
Bill
Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats amazing i have been waiting for a auto turbo kit whats the cost ??
Old 10-08-2008, 09:00 PM

Ummm, this is a little old. lol
Old 10-08-2008, 09:00 PM

LMFAO!, look how old this thread is
Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
wow... way to bump for something already available lol
Old 10-08-2008, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol old old old
Old 10-08-2008, 09:25 PM

yea old but here's the big question..... what happen to the **** for the automatic????
Old 10-10-2008, 07:24 PM

turbo kit works clearimageautomotive has tune for autos
Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Banned

lol holy thread revival batman!!