Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

procharger 2.2 option maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
procharger 2.2 option maybe??

its late and well im just curious as to if we had tuning right now, would a procharger make more power then a supercharger or even a turbo?

im thinking a procharger would give good hp numbers. what would you say be better for HP gains, a supercharger or a procharger?? i wanna know why to. i have used the search engine and have dug up some kool info. speedmafia has the procharged ion. but last time i checked the procharged ion wasnt makeing impressive numbers.

reason being i got a gmpp exhaust and am planning on ss/sc downpipe and manifold. so a turbo wouldnt be ideal because of my exhaust plans. plus a turbo is way to much money.

procharger vs supercharger give me some feedback on what would be better for 2.2 my bro is gonna prolly get a ss/sc so i would like to beat him. could that be done witha procharger and what are the limits of a procharger in my application??(assume we have tuning)

????

Last edited by Delta2.2; 03-07-2007 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he made about 187whp with a really bad tune... if it was me and i had money to go boosted id get the procharger.. Ive seen the procharged car in person... all i have to say is he should be 195-205ish whp with a really good tune on a 3.45 pulley.. plus his intake temps arnt that warm at all... the procharger runs cool enough after a hard run you can touch it with your bare hand so no heat soak.. also the procharger will beable to boost you past 300whp mark if thats what your wondering.. just the internals will be holding you back..
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 AM

just an fyi procharger is a supercharger, its just a diff configuration... centrifig vs root style.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by blown06
just an fyi procharger is a supercharger, its just a diff configuration... centrifig vs root style.
they are the same but way way totaly diffrent on how they work besides belt driven.. id still take a procharger over the m62 X1000
Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A turbo will ALWAYS make more power then a supercharger. There's no argument about that. Prochargers never really impressed me that much. They are a wanna-be turbo being driven by a belt. The installations I have seen do take specific advantage of their strength however, which is their compactness. You don't get more then a couple of PSI out of a procharger, but you you can just about fit it anywhere.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 AM

i said they are both forms of a supercharger, supercharger is belt driven. There are two two types, centrifical and roots style. Procharger, vortex are centrif and eaton, jackson, are roots style. How are they different both involve a pulley, belt driven, it is different in how the air is delievered, which is considered to be a supercharger. Either it is mounted on the manifold or not.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Halfcent
A turbo will ALWAYS make more power then a supercharger. There's no argument about that. Prochargers never really impressed me that much. They are a wanna-be turbo being driven by a belt. The installations I have seen do take specific advantage of their strength however, which is their compactness. You don't get more then a couple of PSI out of a procharger, but you you can just about fit it anywhere.
uh wrong they have ones that run up to 25-30 psi.. if u want ill post the link....

http://www.procharger.com/chevy.shtml

boom pow suprise ur wrong!!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by nramlow2006
uh wrong they have ones that run up to 25-30 psi.. if u want ill post the link....

yeah or even more. PSI is just a relative term. Its all about airflow. How much cfm of air the blower is capable of. There are prochargers capable of well over 1000 hp and if put on this engine (ecotec 2.2) and spun to its (F1-R for example) limit would end up making crazy boost. Probably 80 psi. But of course the engine would be blown to **** and would not even come close to handling that. To the person who said prochargers are only capable of a couple of Psi learn before you speak.

Originally Posted by blown06
i said they are both forms of a supercharger, supercharger is belt driven. There are two two types, centrifical and roots style. Procharger, vortex are centrif and eaton, jackson, are roots style. How are they different both involve a pulley, belt driven, it is different in how the air is delievered, which is considered to be a supercharger. Either it is mounted on the manifold or not.
there is also a third type, twin screw.

Last edited by mezzanno; 03-07-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM

+ rep
Old 03-07-2007, 12:26 PM

If you are interested in a procharger, talk to kevin, with SMP(speed mafia). He knows everything you will ever need to know about prochargers. Trust me, i've chilled with him. He'd be happy to talk to you about them. Honestly, prochargers are pretty sick, especially because they can put out some nice boost and dont require any oil or water lines. And your intake temps are going to be cooler then a turbo. The down side is it takes some power from the engine, but who cares when your throwin say 15-25psi and getting 250+whp.

To be honest, if i push my turbo kit to the max and i cannot get to my power goal, i may throw a ProCharger C2 on my car instead, cuz my power goal is about 350whp, and if my turbo doesnt get me there, i know a pro-charger will.

Oh, and another thing. Tuning the pro-charger should be wayy easy. Because the boost is relative to the RPM because its belt driven. Tuning that sucker would be cake... specially with the solution i have(SMT-6)
Old 03-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm old school

Originally Posted by mezzanno
...learn before you speak.
This is perhaps one of the most arrogant things a person can say on a web forum. Its the internet, the whole point is to speak, right or wrong.

Might I suggest that you practice some manners. That attitude will not be tolerated.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NightriderCobaltSS
+ rep
woot lol.... i had to add the boom pow suprise wrong.. nothing against the guy who said that they could only make a few lbs of boost... but i was considering one when i had my mustang..
Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I'm old school

Yes, I know. I'm speaking about a Cobalt specific application however.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

Yes, I know. I'm speaking about a Cobalt specific application however.
yes and no... it depends on how indepth you want to get into building your engine up... and and what size procharger you want to install.... but your right to an extent..
Old 03-07-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
**** I got a ds1c laying around ... good to 32psi...WOOT... but I'm going turbo.. and Turbo will always make more power than a supercharger of the same or equivalent size and CFM.
you'lll always have a greater parasitic loss spinning supercharger no matter what kind it is.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:56 PM

cent um... have you missed my posts about pushing 10psi on a 3.45" pulley? just curious...

sw4y did alpine leave your smt6 unlocked after they tuned it or did they lock it down on you?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bc3tech
cent um... have you missed my posts about pushing 10psi on a 3.45" pulley? just curious...

sw4y did alpine leave your smt6 unlocked after they tuned it or did they lock it down on you?
Nope, i can do anything i want with it. I bought the software and cable as well.. Actually thats the whole reason they went with the SMT6, is so i can tune it on my own. The Unichip requires an authorized dealer to do the tuning.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:09 PM

This is perhaps one of the most arrogant things a person can say on a web forum. Its the internet, the whole point is to speak, right or wrong.

Might I suggest that you practice some manners. That attitude will not be tolerated.
Yeah i am sorry if I came off like a dick. It's nothing personal against you. I just don't want people to be misinformed about what things are capable of. The first part of your statement was true that supercharger can never make the same power as a turbo of equivalent size, and cfm capability like 06blackg85ss stated earlier. Although either one can achieve power levels that are too much for the street.

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
**** I got a ds1c laying around ... good to 32psi...WOOT... but I'm going turbo.. and Turbo will always make more power than a supercharger of the same or equivalent size and CFM.
you'lll always have a greater parasitic loss spinning supercharger no matter what kind it is.
D1 layin around hmmm. might be perfect to take my vette to insanity.

Last edited by mezzanno; 03-07-2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2007, 03:21 PM

brand new never used $1850 , a friend of mine is selling it.. just need brackets cause it's off a dakota kit.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sw4y1313
If you are interested in a procharger, talk to kevin, with SMP(speed mafia). He knows everything you will ever need to know about prochargers. Trust me, i've chilled with him. He'd be happy to talk to you about them. Honestly, prochargers are pretty sick, especially because they can put out some nice boost and dont require any oil or water lines. And your intake temps are going to be cooler then a turbo. The down side is it takes some power from the engine, but who cares when your throwin say 15-25psi and getting 250+whp.

To be honest, if i push my turbo kit to the max and i cannot get to my power goal, i may throw a ProCharger C2 on my car instead, cuz my power goal is about 350whp, and if my turbo doesnt get me there, i know a pro-charger will.

Oh, and another thing. Tuning the pro-charger should be wayy easy. Because the boost is relative to the RPM because its belt driven. Tuning that sucker would be cake... specially with the solution i have(SMT-6)
ya so would the smt-6 be a good tuning source for a procharger??? i mean is it as effective as lets say a HPTuners when they come out with it? what are the sizes of prochargers and hp numbers for them. and do you know what Kevins SMP email is? or an aim if possible. cause I would like to talk to him maybe in the summer and work something out maybe for a test and tune car 1st cobalt. and get like a discount or something you know. but ya thanks for the input guys i really like the discussion so far. i like prochargers and they are kinda unique cause not many cars have them.

so about HP numbers. what mods would be done if i wanted 250whp?? include all bolt on and internal mods. i guess this
-catback (gmpp i have, would it be good enough?)
-gmpp manifold
-ss/sc downpipe
-heads
-tune
-intercooler

thats it then its tuning and procharger obviously. what would be the best procharger for that application or higher?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM

brand new never used $1850 , a friend of mine is selling it.. just need brackets cause it's off a dakota kit.
may have an interested friend but not for a couple of months. As much as I would love to add that to my vette It's just not what I really want. Im going for real big power in that car (1000rwhp+) probably through a couple of hair dryers, or If the new KB 2.8 twinscrew can make that much ill go that way. Unfortunately this buildup is a few years down the road.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:30 PM

damn man... gotta let me know when you're doing that... I gotta friend selling a new dual ballbearing T76 setup too for a fox body stang if you know anyone looking for it.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 PM

damn man... gotta let me know when you're doing that... I gotta friend selling a new dual ballbearing T76 setup too for a fox body stang if you know anyone looking for it.
Just curious but for how much?
Old 03-07-2007, 05:13 PM

Nope, i can do anything i want with it. I bought the software and cable as well.. Actually thats the whole reason they went with the SMT6, is so i can tune it on my own. The Unichip requires an authorized dealer to do the tuning.
right but the SMT6 can be locked down as well. you'll be getting a PM in a sec...
Originally Posted by Delta2.2
ya so would the smt-6 be a good tuning source for a procharger??? i mean is it as effective as lets say a HPTuners when they come out with it? what are the sizes of prochargers and hp numbers for them. and do you know what Kevins SMP email is? or an aim if possible. cause I would like to talk to him maybe in the summer and work something out maybe for a test and tune car 1st cobalt. and get like a discount or something you know. but ya thanks for the input guys i really like the discussion so far. i like prochargers and they are kinda unique cause not many cars have them.

so about HP numbers. what mods would be done if i wanted 250whp?? include all bolt on and internal mods. i guess this
-catback (gmpp i have, would it be good enough?)
-gmpp manifold
-ss/sc downpipe
-heads
-tune
-intercooler

thats it then its tuning and procharger obviously. what would be the best procharger for that application or higher?
The only procharger you've got a chance in hell at installing is the C1 or C2 - and even the guys at ATI (makers of procharger) will tell you that the C2 isnt worth the extra cost over the C1.

pulley size for 250 depends on your altitude.
speedmafia can be e-mailed thu their site: http://www.speedmafia.com
Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Why would you do something like that?

It's called changing your turbocharger...

You should be able to find a large enough turbocharger to support the power you're aiming for and still be internal wastegated (assuming you are) even though if I were you, I'd switch to a external wastegate setup.

This is of course something you should have thought about even doing before you got your kit installed and probably even told them in the first place to save in headache of switching to something else. Now you're going to spend even more money to reach a goal that you should have aimed for from the beginning or a setup that was capable of reaching it (for sure).

EDIT: I can't imagine that you don't THAT much space or you could do some type of change to fit a slightly larger turbocharger behind your engine.

There is always the Hammer Modification...beat the **** out of the firewall! lol

Quick Reply: procharger 2.2 option maybe??