Front Page News Site Polls

Hahns 2.4 turbo Cobalt debuts at Great Lakes Dragaway!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007 | 09:09 AM
I'm old school

Wow, I'm the guy that makes the thread, but I do I get rep? NOOooooo.......

Anyway, on that point, lets not get off topic by making this a rep whoring thread.
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:17 AM

+ rep for Halfcent for keeping the thread on track...

MuaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Did I just pull it back off track?
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
Wow, I'm the guy that makes the thread, but I do I get rep? NOOooooo.......

Anyway, on that point, lets not get off topic by making this a rep whoring thread.
Rep added!

I would think at 260 WHP that this turboed car would have an easier time getting into 13s. Guess it's mostly in the tires and the weight though. Awesome work guys. I think we got some SS/SC guys attention on this project. Maybe we'll see some converted thinkers coming soon.
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:23 AM

thats pretty damn sweet. I would guestimate this system fully installed at $1500 ?

Good job Hanz and Franz
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:34 AM

thats only on 8 psi? so since im boosting about 10-11 then i should be able to get close to mid 13's. cant wait to get this all setup. nice job hahn!
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:34 AM

very cool...... u know how much money they would make if they produced that return line kit lol.... im still contemplating the idea of turboing for pure power.... just waiting to see results of the twin screw swap first
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:36 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Halfcent
The system was converted to a return-style system using little more than a BoostFueler and the necessary plumbing as highlighted above. Air to Fuel ratio was adjusted with a simple turn of the knob.

The blow-off valve is plumbed back to the intake, so there is no blow-off noise. The valve appeared to work just fine, however it was a tiny plastic part. If you wanted to do anything with different boost levels or vent the blow off to the atmosphere, you would need an aftermarket valve.

The BoostFueler that Hahn was using was mounted to the plastic ECM cover. That didn't seem like a very good spot, especially since that cover just sits loosely over the ECM. A better mounting location might be a good idea.

The stock fuel pump is retained. However, I forgot to ask if any modification is made to the stock pressure regulator in the tank. With the BoostFueler, I have to believe something was done.

The whole kit was super clean. Looking at it, it looked like it could be installed with a small collection of hand tools and a couple days effort. There was nothing difficult to the eye about it.

Thanks to Bill and Adam for letting me join them! I look forward to seeing them again soon.
Thanks for the props, Geoff. It was a pleasure having you attend and witness

A couple of details and clarifications:

"...little more than a BoostFueler..." barely scratches the surface of what's going on behind the scenes in this system, but externally, that's all one can see, of course. The return fuel system with BoostFuler is, in actuality, very highly developed, and a key component of our unprecedented 'stacked' approach of combining BoostFueler with PCM reflash. We've done an extremely detailed job of integrating the reflash of the PCM with the inclusion of the BoostFueler, and they dovetail together flawlessly. Considerable development effort went into this component 'stacking' integration, and the results are evident! The BoostFueler has internal features developed and perfected by Hahn RaceCraft that make it do distinctly unique tasks in this application

The blow-off valve should not be opened to atmosphere, as this will create instabilities with the MAF system. We are confident in this valve up to 15 PSI, so a different valve is simply not needed. It's easy to get 'blow-off valve envy' from all the overpriced and oversized units out there these days...in most cases, all you're buying is looks, and in all too many cases, reduced functionality. The valve we provide is most optimal!

Yes, the BoostFueler mounting location as seen on this prototype will be revised to a more secure location as we enter production; we don't like that PCM cover mount either

Yes, we provide complete documentation on how to modify the fuel system to enable return capability and support BoostFueler.
Old 06-14-2007 | 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thought
Those times are great for the 2.4.......really. I'm just not impressed as much as I thought I was cause I guess I was expecting it to blow Stage 2 SCs away.... but that's still impressive!
a stage 2 cobalt put's down about 100 more hp than a 2.4. there's MANY people on here with stage 2 that don't run 13.7. but, when people are putting together a kit, or whatever they're putting together, (talking about manufactureres not end users) the goal is most likely NOT to beat the ss/sc. plus it's an auto.

also keep in mind that this was the first set of runs, stock tires, and everything else stock except the catback. a few other mods and i bet that time will jump down.

most people with auto 2.4's are around the 15.7 or so mark. this kit took 2 seconds off their time! that's damn good.

looking forward to see the progress on this.
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Hahn
Remember that this is only a stage 2 turbo system that is running 8 PSI on a relatively small turbo and the only modifications to it are the turbokit and exhaust. Also, this is an automatic not a manual.
That is a great point. Can you imagnine forged pistons and stronger headgasket with all the other little stuff like main studs and head studs so you can run more boost. Run 12-14psi and you will see a 12 second balt. With traction that is.
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
a stage 2 cobalt put's down about 100 more hp than a 2.4. there's MANY people on here with stage 2 that don't run 13.7. but, when people are putting together a kit, or whatever they're putting together, (talking about manufactureres not end users) the goal is most likely NOT to beat the ss/sc. plus it's an auto.

also keep in mind that this was the first set of runs, stock tires, and everything else stock except the catback. a few other mods and i bet that time will jump down.

most people with auto 2.4's are around the 15.7 or so mark. this kit took 2 seconds off their time! that's damn good.

looking forward to see the progress on this.
I totally agree with everything but the "the goal is most likely NOT to beat the ss/sc".
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

For those who are new to this topic and would like to see the thread describing the system itself:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=62253
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:50 AM

awsome time,,,,,,,
Old 06-14-2007 | 10:51 AM
Former Vendor

You bet there's more potential here!

While the 13.7 first time out was certainly a great debut, I'd like to point out that we have left quite a bit on the table for you guys:

The conditions were edgy...hot, humid.

Boost was conservative, averaging 8.5 PSI. Another PSI or two is possible with this system.

Traction was SERIOUSLY limited with the stock tires.

This car is still breathing through the stock catalytic converter.

AFR was very soft, ranging from 10.9:1 to 11.3:1. There's more power available there as well, for those who run WB02's. And adjusting this, as Geoff pointed out, is just a turn of a screw with BoostFueler!

Even with these handicaps, this car will still smack on a stock SRT-4. I even had an SRT-4 guy there last night express amazement when he asked after watching the car go, "Is that thing an automatic? WOW!" This same fellow had been running 13.50's @ 112 MPH, way more power than our 'Balt, but he was frustrated from spinning tires all the way to half-track. He really admired how well composed the Turbo Auto 'Balt was!

We pounded out 7 or 8 passes in 3 1/2 hours, so she really never had a chance to cool off and catch her breath. Then we rewarded her for her track excellence with a 1.5 hour hell-run back home on the expressways at 75-85 MPH! But we are adamant that such torture-testing be a part of our mandatory development triad of dyno/street/track abuse, for if we don't push it to the limits and beyond, we risk customers learning nasty surprises on their own.

Good numbers aside, the best advantage of this car at the track could well be in bracket racing. With some nice tires, the consistency of this combo (compared to a manual trans car) may well prove to be lethal in brackets.

I'd like to also commend my son, Adam, for doing such a great job in assembling and driving this car

So, there it is, guys and gals. Rather than optimize this car to the Nth degree, we just wanted to show you all what's possible. Now, y'all take the ball and run with it, and let's see just how deep into the 13's one of these can go!
Old 06-14-2007 | 11:15 AM

^^ that great news for all the 2.4 guys. And it's awesome to see all the R&D is paying off
Old 06-14-2007 | 11:25 AM

Thanks everyone.

So ECOboost you think with soem BFG Drag TA's it could pick up a tenth or 2?
Old 06-14-2007 | 11:59 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Thanks everyone.

So ECOboost you think with soem BFG Drag TA's it could pick up a tenth or 2?
I think so, yes. Maybe more. Consider...on our other FWD cars, we've achieved 1.8 60 foot times on drag radials (Adam coaxed out a 2.09 on the stock 'Balt tires). Granted, these others were manual trans, and required some fancy footwork, but 1.8's are do-able, and repeatable with practice...yet, did leave a bit to be desired in terms of consistency.

With the automatic, the consistency should pick WAY up!

So, if we do the simple math, just that 60 foot would make the 13.7 a 13.4. But it's a fact that a substantial improvement in 60 foot always plays out to even more of an improvement in 1/4 mile ET, so we might even see a 13.3.

Now, ya take a couple of the other advantages we've left, like a hi-flow cat, a PSI or two of boost, a little bit of tuning, maybe some simple weight redux...can you smell what I am cooking?
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by EcoBoost
I think so, yes. Maybe more. Consider...on our other FWD cars, we've achieved 1.8 60 foot times on drag radials (Adam coaxed out a 2.09 on the stock 'Balt tires). Granted, these others were manual trans, and required some fancy footwork, but 1.8's are do-able, and repeatable with practice...yet, did leave a bit to be desired in terms of consistency.

With the automatic, the consistency should pick WAY up!

So, if we do the simple math, just that 60 foot would make the 13.7 a 13.4. But it's a fact that a substantial improvement in 60 foot always plays out to even more of an improvement in 1/4 mile ET, so we might even see a 13.3.

Now, ya take a couple of the other advantages we've left, like a hi-flow cat, a PSI or two of boost, a little bit of tuning, maybe some simple weight redux...can you smell what I am cooking?
Ok then try this! BFG Drag TA's gut it, and throw 2 or 4 more pounds of boost and that thing will be running in the 12's!!!!!! Thats insain!

Oh God spray on it and this is an 11 sec car! Ok so who builds performance trannys to handle the new found power?
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:06 PM

now everything is starting to come together that is what i like to see aftermarket support with progress being made. I can't wait for some of the products that are on the way. Note to self watch out for slepper 2.4 lol.
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by pimpnwink
Note to self watch out for slepper 2.4 lol.
Even worse will be the sleeper sedan! Can you imagine the looks we'll get when we spank Mustangs! LMFAO!! This is gonna be great!
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:14 PM
p7x

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
Wow , very impressive ....given the small boost level . Basically 8 psi on a stock 2.4 to blow the doors off a stock SS/SC ....I love turbos
.......x2
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:34 PM

wow especially with the lack of the blow off valve sound. They won't know what hit em!

Is there any video so we can see/hear what this car sounds like?
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:54 PM

Return fuel system you say? I want!
Old 06-14-2007 | 01:15 PM
GTP

Originally Posted by Pyros777
wow especially with the lack of the blow off valve sound. They won't know what hit em!

Is there any video so we can see/hear what this car sounds like?

X2 I mean can we get in in-car hell run video to get a feel for how it drives. C'mon Bill and Adam...feed the fish..

I am thinking that my 5 speed sedan without leather, sunroof and side bags is VERY light. I had traction problems on my 15. 0 quarer mile pass and barely got a 2.2 60 foot. 2 second off this with exhaust, flywheel, and traction mods would be edging 12s..(yummy)
Old 06-14-2007 | 01:17 PM

That is DAMN impressive for 8lbs and an auto! KEEP IT UP MAN! I had some hahn products on my DSM and they are very high quality! Awesome guys! KEEP IT UP!
Old 06-14-2007 | 01:26 PM

videos or ban!!! haha man.. a full exhaust would do wonders for this set up... plus a few more pounds of boost... between 10-12.. drag radials, and a tranny cooler and that thing would probably be running mid 12s

Quick Reply: Hahns 2.4 turbo Cobalt debuts at Great Lakes Dragaway!