General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

05 Cobalt LS "extreme" makeover(56k=death) not for the faint of heart

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a quick update i went in today to clean the mess i did. heres a couple pictures.

That is the remaining damage, nothing a little metal work wont fix. Shouldnt take more than half hour or so to put it back into place its just a flimsy peice of metal.
Look at all that ugly sealer! Theres gobs and gobs of it all over the interior seams. Thats one area GM doesnt seem to care much about. It almost makes me want to cut it all out and redo it. I've never seen such a disgusting sealing job in my life!

Heres another pic.

The quarter near the car, as you can see its starting to come togheter.
Heres a closer look at the sectioning.

Just need to make those reinforment strips and weld them in and after straightening the flanges and cleaning the sealer on the car i'll be ready to put it on. Then the long part, the test fitting, welding/grinding. >< I wouldnt be supprized to take up one day for fitting and maybe a day and a half to weld it/grind it.

There you be. ;-)

I'll also post updates on the filler work and what not afterwards, how it should be done ect. Priming painting etc. Should be fun!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
haha..you have a new subscriber to this thread...and the diagram helps a bit too....all those pink arrows do wonders
Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
haha..you have a new subscriber to this thread...and the diagram helps a bit too....all those pink arrows do wonders
LoL thanks it does get pretty involved if you have never seen anything like it. It's pretty rare people get an inside view of a vehicule like that. You should see the looks i get from the custumers comming in the door, all wide eyed with wtf looks on their faces it's priceless. ;-)
Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grimsaviour
This is my brand "new" 05 cobalt LS:

There's just one problem:

WHOOPS! Yea so heres the story, some of you might know from my few posts that i'm an automotive repair Technician. ;-) So i bought this baby from ICBC salvage and am planning to fix it up with these!

Nice premium used parts from another wrecked cobalt. Heres the rest of the car:

As you can see ive gutted most of the interior so i can see and replace all the damage and not burn anything welding/grinding etc.

This is the left side little damage on the quarter panel no biggie.

Flame job maybe?

The wrecked door has already been thrown out. So yea a little cutting/grinding/sealing/rustproofing/painting and she'll be good as new. After its passed all the inspections. ;-) Started trimming the used part today and gutted the car yestruday, i love cars. ;-) Anyways i'll post updates on it and maybe for the fun of it make an "how to"
althought this isnt your average how to. lol
HOLY ****!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 PM

This is like the coolest thing I have ever seen. I couldnt imagine the amount of time to do that work... bondo takes enough work. U can add another subscriber. What happened to the car in the first place? I hope u put the doner vehical out of its misery.... poor thing...lol

later
Old 11-13-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by RollOver360
This is like the coolest thing I have ever seen. I couldnt imagine the amount of time to do that work... bondo takes enough work. U can add another subscriber. What happened to the car in the first place? I hope u put the doner vehical out of its misery.... poor thing...lol

later
Hey thanks for all the positive responses guys. So far ive spent 28 hrs on it. To do a job like this usually takes about60-70 hrs, out the door. so im almost half way done. Its coming along up next is going to be some fitting welding grinding etc. then some metal repair on the quarter and some light filler work. After that refinishing.

My car came from Nanaimo in BC and so did the parts off the donor car. i dont know what happened to it but it was obviously hit somewhere else. i'm just happy my parts are nice and clean with no dents, it saves alot of time, i hate getting crappy parts!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 PM

damn body/ paint is next on my list of things to start learning, and you my friend are starting a cool as hell project and GOODLUCK
Old 11-13-2006, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by shortyhend2004
damn body/ paint is next on my list of things to start learning, and you my friend are starting a cool as hell project and GOODLUCK
Well ill be getting into paint stuff in about 2 weeks hopefully, so keep checking back, i'll make a detailed section on it, same with bodywork. I just hope not everyone will start trying to repair major damage on their cobalts after this, pictures are nice but its more complicated than it looks hehe. when i do sectioning i measure and remeasure about 10 times per joint just to make sure im not making a mistake, thats the most important part of the repair. ;-)
Old 11-14-2006, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is sweet. I'll be checking back often to see how its going
Old 11-14-2006, 12:46 AM

I just had an idea lol, shave my door locks, trunk lock (maybe on the trunk lock, what if the celanoid in the latch fails ><) and shave the antenna to relocate it on the roof, or get an internal, anyone seen some nice roof antennas or some internal antennas for cheap? Let me know! I'll probably alter the front grille before its over to boot, might as well while i'm painting.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grimsaviour
I just had an idea lol, shave my door locks, trunk lock (maybe on the trunk lock, what if the celanoid in the latch fails ><) and shave the antenna to relocate it on the roof, or get an internal, anyone seen some nice roof antennas or some internal antennas for cheap? Let me know! I'll probably alter the front grille before its over to boot, might as well while i'm painting.
well i would say u got ur hands full. i wouldnt shave anything considering the work load already but if ur into that go for it. there are a couple antenas out there. most famous are the shortys. not sure on roof but def possibly. just get some photos of the before and after painting everything. very excited for u man.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:39 PM

This is a great thread,! find myself looking for the thread to see pics and updates
Old 11-19-2006, 10:01 PM

good luck with the work..cant wait to see how it turns up.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:02 PM

Subscribing, awesome thread, the pictures make a big difference. Maybe if we have a meet in the summer, you can drive it to the mainland so we can see it in person
Old 11-20-2006, 12:31 AM

thats pretty aggravating with those rust spots...i hope that isnt a problem with all cobalts
Old 11-21-2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by HiSpdPursuit
thats pretty aggravating with those rust spots...i hope that isnt a problem with all cobalts
I would have to say most likely, its not the first time that i have an almost or brand new car apart like that and see rust. I havent looked too much into the problem yet and also theres been a lack of progress on my part. ( i work 6 days a week><) When i started to thread i had 3 days off lol. so i worked on it non stop. I will most likely be posting more pics this weekend. My rear suspension showed up as did my quarter and door trims so i'm good to go, got all the parts!
Old 11-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

it looks like it's coming from the trunk compartment. possably a leaky trunk?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:45 PM

any updates?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by JohnyNFullEffect
any updates?
Sorry about the lack of updates with christmas and everything around the corner i havent been able to get on it. Its just been collecting dust. Hopefully it will slow down in the next 2weeks or so at work so i can finish it off.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:51 AM

it looks great sebastien, you explain everything very well.

My brother has been too busy eating dinners at my place, but im sure he'll update with new fresh pictures for you all soon. in fact hes going to be working on it on saturday, and you should see how its coming along soon.

enjoy!
Old 12-30-2006, 02:39 AM

I so wish I lived near you. I would love to learn how to do this stuff and it would come in so handy! I envy you sir! Have fun.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

Might I recomend...

CONVERTIBLE!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:37 AM

COOL thread , it amazing what you resurect
Old 12-30-2006, 11:41 AM

I want an update.... its driving me crazy.....

later
Old 12-31-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by RollOver360
I want an update.... its driving me crazy.....

later
So you want an update huh? hmmm.... OK!!! So i worked all saturday and half of today on it and its comming along. Check it out!

So i went in there early and decided to finish doing a couple pulls that i couldn't do while the wrecked quarter was on because the spot welds just wanted to rip off, too much work hardening caused by the impact made the steel much harder. so here i am putting on some frame clamps. If anyone is wondering why theres welding gloves over the joints, i put them there so i wouldnt slice my head or arms open on the sharp edges, safety first right?

I had to remove a little kink in the parcel shelf (the panel that holds your speakers).

Then i had to remove some residual stress in the B-pillar from the impact as well.

It was sticking in a little. After some pulling and tapping (with a hammer) i managed to get her straight. as you can see i temporarily put the quarter on to get an idea of where it was supposed to go, unfortuneatly you can't get a measurment spec that high on the pillar, usually all you get is a spec from door striker to door striker which isnt quite high enough.

After that i took the quarter panel off to finish some hammer and dolly work to make the wheel well look pretty and sprayed on a healthy coat of Zinc weld-thru primer for rust proofing and put it back on and started fitting the joints.

Heres a pic of it on the car, sorry about the mess, again you need a lot of tools to do this so stuff tends to get all over the place!

So after that i called it a day cleaned up and went home, on saturday. Reaching the limit of pics per post here so i'll continue this in the next post which i will be making right away! Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: 05 Cobalt LS "extreme" makeover(56k=death) not for the faint of heart