General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

05 Cobalt LS "extreme" makeover(56k=death) not for the faint of heart

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome work, it would be cool to figure out who the original owner was, and show them the car after the accident, i bet they wouldnt believe it was the same one

anyways, when you paint it, are you going to spray the whole car?? or just paint over the white and hope it matches?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grimsaviour
Well ill be getting into paint stuff in about 2 weeks hopefully, so keep checking back, i'll make a detailed section on it, same with bodywork. I just hope not everyone will start trying to repair major damage on their cobalts after this, pictures are nice but its more complicated than it looks hehe. when i do sectioning i measure and remeasure about 10 times per joint just to make sure im not making a mistake, thats the most important part of the repair. ;-)
Kinda scary making those cuts isn't it? I occasionally hear "damn! cut it three time and its still too short!"
Keep up the good work, it's looking good so far.
From a "brother bodyman"
Dennis
Old 01-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Nice work , you got a new subscriber here !
Old 02-01-2007, 12:58 AM

Kinda scary making those cuts isn't it? I occasionally hear "damn! cut it three time and its still too short!"
Keep up the good work, it's looking good so far.
From a "brother bodyman"
Dennis
LOL Dennis thats hillarious. ;-) For sure when you start off you dont always know how far you will be getting into it, i like to trim the used part first so i know how much i can use or how far i can go. ;-)

awesome work, it would be cool to figure out who the original owner was, and show them the car after the accident, i bet they wouldnt believe it was the same one

anyways, when you paint it, are you going to spray the whole car?? or just paint over the white and hope it matches?
Although i do know who the original owner is, (not personally just on paper) ICBC(our insurance corp) forbids contacting previous owners for information because it is against their policy because of privacy and stuff like that.

And when i do paint it i will be spraying the whole car but not because of color match issues, when a car is painted you can do whats called a blend if you have to so that the color does match. What you are painting over doesnt really matter as long as its sanded and the bodywork is sealed. All it will affect is coverage, in other words, how many coats will it take to cover over white vs black. The reason the whole car is getting painted is because theres dents on the roof, right front fender(rest of that side is white). Also someone painted the hood and did a shitty job of it and the other side with a blend into the door would only leave the fender. so ill be painting the whole car since it wont be much more work, like we are talking an extra half and hour to get the fender ready for paint.

Not looking forward to carrying around those doors.

Roof seam looks good. What paint are you going with?

Can't wait to see it finished.
Yea those doors are very heavy. I will be painting the car the same color and our shop uses Sherman williams paint. Its a very good paint line, good quality, i'll be doing base/clear or two stage some ppl call it. And i will be using their high quality scratch resistant clear as opposed to regular production clear. Its shinnier, and resists swirl marks and light surface scratching. Also better protection against rock chips.

Nice job, looks A+. Did u ever get around do fixing the rear axle because it still looks a little "cocked"? Anyways keep us posted!!
I havent changed the rear axle yet, i got a whole used part from the autowrecker i got the rest of the stuff from. its been sitting in the corner collecting dust. I'll probably be doing that fairly soon so i can get it out of the way.

Anyways i hope this awnsers all of your questions. I had a little trouble looking at this post for some reason the website is a little screwy when i opened it up it said i was still logged on and then i had to refresh a bunch of times. weird stuff.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 AM

hey

wow good work!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 PM

I know I'm trying to raise the dead here. Seems to be a comman ocurance lately. But any updates??
Old 02-25-2007, 09:14 PM

looks awsom man, you know what your doing. if ya lived down here, id go to you.....
Old 02-25-2007, 09:16 PM

Updates X2!!!! Its been a month!

later
Old 03-04-2007, 07:37 PM

So its been a little while. The main issue with working on my car at work is lack of space. Its been so busy because of the crazy weather, windstorms and snow which we dont usually get here that i havent been able to touch it. Saturdays are crazy and its not very often that i want to spend my only day off working. Even though i love working on cars. hehe. But because of popular demand, i dragged my butt into work today and spent 3 hours putting in my rear axle. So here we go. ;-)

Now a LOT of ppl ask the question, so here is the answer. This is the perfect place to jack up the rear end of your cobalt.

And heres another answer, that is where you can place jack stands. ;-) you can also put them underneath the spring mounts on the axle if you are storing your car.

The bolt holding the shock needs to be undone, while there is pressure on the axle to compress the springs so it doesnt fly apart when you unbolt them. once thats done you get something that looks like this when you release the jack.

Now you need to undo the parking brake cable.

#1 there shows a tab that needs to be pushed in to remove the parking brake boot, and #2 is the tension bolt, release it about 3/4 inch so you can detach the 2 cables that go to each wheel hub.

Once you have them undone you can pull on the underside and they will pop out of these aluminium tubes and you're set. Undo both brake lines and all thats left is taking off 6 bolts holding the rear mounts for the axle.

Once thats done, off she comes!

peice of cake right?

So thats when the problems started.... i had a few issues. other than just swaping the springs and the drums.

Thats the brake cable, the insulation is snaped... >< so i had to swap that, and once i had it almost all back togheter i noticed i had another problem ><

Yea, the used part doesnt have those sensors. SO.... i had to take some more stuff apart to change the wheel bearing assembly so id keep my sensors so i dont get a check engine light.

Theres the assembly without the sensor. took me an extra hour between changing the parking brake cable and the 3 wheel bearing assemblies. But hey i got her done!

There we go, the wheel is straight again!

So thats todays story. ;-) was alright i guess. One more thing off the list. I also received my OEM deck the other day, came missing with the car. I guess next time i'll be repairing the driver side quarter panel!

There she is back to sleep. ;-) I'm going to be trying to get it done before i go on vacation. In april so i got 2 months left, hopefully buisness will slow down so i can get some work done. ;-)
Old 03-04-2007, 08:59 PM

yes finally updates!!! Looks great man. Doesnt that suck when something goes wrong when u think its gona be easy?

later
Old 03-04-2007, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by RollOver360
yes finally updates!!! Looks great man. Doesnt that suck when something goes wrong when u think its gona be easy?

later

Yea lol at least it didnt end up costing more money, then i woulda been really pissed. ;-)
Old 03-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Hey man, do u have black interior panels? It looks like it in the pix.... i thought ls/lt only came with the tan..

later
Old 03-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Yep interior is all black cept the upper pillar trims and the headliner. Thats gray.
Black is nice, you'll never see dirt stains or coffee stains on anything. ;-)
Old 03-04-2007, 10:20 PM

Hey man, do u have black interior panels? It looks like it in the pix.... i thought ls/lt only came with the tan..

later
Nope, I have all black on my LS.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yikes12345
Nope, I have all black on my LS.
ur lucky.... It wasnt an option when i got mine...

later
Old 03-05-2007, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

later

Haha, then you shouldn't hang out with the SEE guys then. Every time we work on a car
it seems like something small turns into something bigger. Oh well. You can always count on us sticking by your side until its ok to drive again. Even if that means until 10am as we have done a couple times
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM

its looking good man let me get this stright this is going to be your car when your done with it or is it your works car ?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2006BlackSS/SC
its looking good man let me get this stright this is going to be your car when your done with it or is it your works car ?
Yea its gonna be my car, You should go back to the top and read thru. Got her for cheap. ;-)
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Thats awesome, my friend is doing the same thing with a SRT-4. Good luck with it. Hope it turns out perfect!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 AM

Talking

Forget about the car, who's the hottie?? Yum yum

If I had a girl like that, I'd be "WHAT CAR"
Old 03-15-2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Studmuffin
Forget about the car, who's the hottie?? Yum yum

If I had a girl like that, I'd be "WHAT CAR"
lol thats my Girlfriend. I'm sure she'll be flatered when i tell her she has a fan lol.

Heres a waaaaay better pic:

Disreguard the "monkey hair" the camera makes me look like a gorrilla.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:17 PM

lol thats my Girlfriend. I'm sure she'll be flatered when i tell her she has a fan lol.

Heres a waaaaay better pic:

Disreguard the "monkey hair" the camera makes me look like a gorrilla.
Wow, she is hot! Just need a good one of her for my desktop. PLEASE
Old 03-19-2007, 12:05 AM

Now you are pushing it buddy. :P
Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 AM

Beautiful work on the car, man! Keep us posted!
Old 03-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Now you are pushing it buddy. :P
BBWAAAHHAAAAAAA

Do you miss me yet?

Quick Reply: 05 Cobalt LS "extreme" makeover(56k=death) not for the faint of heart