General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

05 Mustang won't be redesigned for several years

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:53 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 Mustang won't be redesigned for several years

Ford pins hopes on 2005 Mustang

Iconic car won't be redesigned for several years

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

As Ford Motor Co. launched production of the 2005 Mustang on Monday in Flat Rock, company executives said the iconic pony car's design would remain virtually unchanged through the end of the decade.

Ford is betting that retro-styled Mustang will age well on the road. But the strategy could be risky considering most automakers tweak their car designs every year or so to keep them fresh. To stoke interest, Ford will introduce a special edition version of the Mustang every so often, said J Mays, the automaker's group vice resident of design.

"You will, for sure, see something different in '06, '07, '08 and '09," Mays said. "But they will be in limited volumes that will make people think, 'I need to get my hands on that.'"

The new design has received praise from analysts and enthusiasts for effectively marrying design cues from the 1960s with modern enhancements. The three-element taillights, for example, harken back four decades to Mustang's origins.

Still, one analyst expressed skepticism that any vehicles can compete in today's cutthroat auto market without periodic makeovers.

"There are some things that can keep that vehicle alive into 2005 and maybe even into 2006, but after that, the vehicle has such strong retro-styling cues, that type of design usually suffers from a very compressed product lifecycle," said Erich Merkle, a senior auto analyst with IRN in Grand Rapids.

Ford says dealers have taken nearly 25,000 orders for the car, which goes on sale next month.

Mustang is the last of eight new vehicles Ford is rolling out this year.

And its success is critical to the automaker's goal of generating full-year pre-tax earnings of $7 billion by mid-decade.

"Mustang not only sells itself, it sells other Ford products," said Jim Padilla, Ford's chief operating officer.

Padilla joined government officials, United Auto Workers leaders and employees Monday at AutoAlliance International Inc.'s Flat Rock plant, where Mustang is being assembled alongside the Mazda6 sports sedan.

Ford invested about $30 million in tooling for Mustang production and received more than $100 million in government tax breaks and training funds. Altogether, Ford and Japanese affiliate Mazda spent nearly $700 million to make the plant flexible enough to build up to six models on two vehicle platforms.

In addition to an all-new model, Ford faces other challenges on the factory floor to produce the new Mustang.

About 1,400 of AutoAlliance's 3,600-member work force are new to the factory after transferring from other Ford plants, such as the former Ranger pickup plant in Edison, N.J. They have received additional training to become better acquainted with the factory's flexible manufacturing methods.

The plant has a capacity to build up to 290,000 units annually, and Padilla said Mustang production could account for more than 193,000.

Ford executives say they have covered all the bases to guarantee a smooth rollout for the new Mustang.

"Launches are a very difficult time for almost any automaker because you're changing so much," Louise Goeser, Ford's vice president of quality, said. "I am absolutely certain about this vehicle."

In previous years, Ford struggled with quality glitches and recalls of new products. But Goeser said the automaker's quality has improved rapi

dly, citing a 30 percent decline in warranty costs since 2001 - a savings of more than $1 billion.

At AutoAlliance, Ford implemented quality control measures first adopted to launch the redesigned F-150 pickup. But for Mustang, it adopted a precision building method inspired by Mazda for assembly of the Mazda6.

Also at Monday's ceremony, Labor Secretary Elaine Chao said the federal government would provide $6.3 million in new grants to help train auto industry workers on new production techniques.

"The $6.3 million in grants announced today will be used to train workers on the complex components of today's automobile manufacturing, as well as the electronic and diagnostic equipment and other high-tech systems needed to service them," Chao said.

You can reach Eric Mayne 313-222-2443 at or emayne@detnews.com.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive said it before ill say it again. I loved the design the first time i saw it in pictures, but it got old fast. Its going to be the same thing when it hits the streets.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

i dont mind how they look so what the hell run with it even tho i wont buy one
Old 09-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Premium Member

they better have a 500hp engine...that would help bring up the mustang name.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:44 AM

I have to say Mustang sure knows how to hold up there name. Get looking car. I have a neighbor that just bought one. Kinda a light blue. Not the color i would pick, but nice.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by loriant
ive said it before ill say it again. I loved the design the first time i saw it in pictures, but it got old fast. Its going to be the same thing when it hits the streets.
I agree. The concepts were incredible looking cars that would probably have aged quite well, but the production model is toned down enough to make it less inspiring, and I think it won't age as well as Ford is hoping. But it's a Mustang, so it'll sell well anyways.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:44 PM

yeah, once you get past the grill and headlights, the rest of the car is relatively conservitavely styled; I can see it getting bland with age.

as for the special editions? well, mark my words: in 2007(right after the cobra hits the ground), expect a Boss 302 - standard GT chassis, a few styling cues to set it apart, and the 5.0 crate engine.

they've done the bullit and the mach; the boss is the only big name left, and seeing how they have a new engine, which coincidentally happens to displace 5.0 liters, which happens to convert to 302 cubic inches(roughly)

and this engine is a beast too - 450ish hp, 400ish torque N/A in crate trim; dohc, 32 valve.

Personally, I believe this will be the next cobra engine, and the boss will basically be a cobra without the IRS, and a lower price.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BigRed
as for the special editions? well, mark my words: in 2007(right after the cobra hits the ground), expect a Boss 302 - standard GT chassis, a few styling cues to set it apart, and the 5.0 crate engine.
Cool, thats a good idea, and I can see that selling well. There are SOOO many Mustang loyalists, and the car is still affordable that I could see basically any throwback special edition selling well.

With the new "retro" look, they should do a GT500 special edition, like the car on Gone in 60 Seconds. That would be incredible!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:56 PM

there's actually talk about it; Caroll Shelby is back working with ford again, and a GT500 is rumored(there was even an artist's conception in motor trend).

the only thing is, who will get the top version? shelby or SVT??
Old 10-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

SWEET!!