General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

08 cobalt changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STICKY THIS!!

I can only hope that the deletion of the SS Supercharged Coupe means that they will replace it with SS Turbocharged Coupe. If not, sounds like a bad move GM.

We still dont know what can happen guys, so hang in there for more changes. I can guarantee that list will be updated several times over the coming months. Maybe something new will filter in.

For example, look how long the distribution update list for the 2006 and 2007 model years are:

2006 Full Model Year (looks like its blank now, but trust me it was long)

2007 Full Model Year

I'm keeping the faith that GM wont let us down in the performance department. At least until mid-June, then I'll be disappointed if nothing new comes up.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure about the 6speed trans. but they will be releasing a turbo HHR first then we will have a turbo Cobalt.

They are looking at 220-230 for the HHR, and 260 for the Cobalt.

It will be the D/I LNF from the Kappa cars.

260 hp/250tq............Mr. SRT will know damn well what the back of a Cobalt looks like from then on
Old 04-28-2007, 04:29 PM

I said that there would be no FI in 08 months ago and people called me a liar. If the rest of the info I got from the GMPP guys is correct, the LNF will debut in the 09 along with the new body and I would imagine the Delta 2 platform.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged
I said that there would be no FI in 08 months ago and people called me a liar. If the rest of the info I got from the GMPP guys is correct, the LNF will debut in the 09 along with the new body and I would imagine the Delta 2 platform.
im not gonna hold my breath over that but it would be very sweet........since my lease is up in 2010 i could dump the ss/sc a year early and get a ss/tc....kinda has a nice ring to it huh?
Old 04-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Supercharged

You are correct!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:58 PM

The next generation Delta platform is the one the Chevy Volt is going to be using, what makes you think a another cobalt will even be made?

Also, if chevy has the HHR with a turbo, why would they make 2 cars that appeal to "tuners". It would be a waste of money, and in some cases the caliber has more in common with the HHR than it does with the cobalt. You may not like it, but its probably what is happening.

GM Daewoo has also announced that they will be developing a car on the Delta 2 platform, and it could very well replace the cobalt because its due out in 2009 or atleast heavily influence what happens to it just like they did with the Aveo.

Last edited by smartmlp; 04-28-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:08 PM

dont think so....i tihnk this time GM just dropped us at a dead end.......stopped the SS and i dont think a turbo cobalt is coming......but the think i dont get is this...

Deletions
SS Supercharged Coupe model

Changes

1AM37 is now called Sport Coupe and the equipment group code is now 1SP

for soem reason it keeps makin me think there just changing the name not droppin the SS...
Old 04-28-2007, 05:13 PM

They deleted the SS Supercharged and changed the 2.4 SS (1AM37) to Sport Coupe
Old 04-28-2007, 05:15 PM

they are doing this because the cost of gas and cars is going to go way up by 2010 to save the econamy < idk how to spell u no what i mean<
Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 PM

suckss
Old 04-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
The next generation Delta platform is the one the Chevy Volt is going to be using, what makes you think a another cobalt will even be made?

The cobalts are one of gm's best sellers..The #9 best selling car in 06 , it would make no sence to cut the cobalt compleatly,

As of now the cobalts have alot going for them...like i said above, good sales..and those sales are at an increasing rate. The cobalt name hasn't been tarnished yet, the general public will shudder at the thought of buying a cavalier,why?..its because GM left it out to die the last 15 out of the 23 years of its existance, just making it the absolute minimum of a car. So far they've been doing things , Such as adding side airbags and xm as standard equipment, to keep the cobalt an appealing car...and one people can be proud to be seen in

there i expect to see a gen 2 cobalt, with the monte carlo/impala/malibu grill ,with a modified front bumper.perhapse diffrent headlights. and the lnf motor.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
The cobalts are one of gm's best sellers..The #9 best selling car in 06 , it would make no sence to cut the cobalt compleatly,

As of now the cobalts have alot going for them...like i said above, good sales..and those sales are at an increasing rate. The cobalt name hasn't been tarnished yet, the general public will shudder at the thought of buying a cavalier,why?..its because GM left it out to die the last 15 out of the 23 years of its existance, just making it the absolute minimum of a car. So far they've been doing things , Such as adding side airbags and xm as standard equipment, to keep the cobalt an appealing car...and one people can be proud to be seen in

there i expect to see a gen 2 cobalt, with the monte carlo/impala/malibu grill ,with a modified front bumper.perhapse diffrent headlights. and the lnf motor.
The cobalt sold extremely well for its first two years because it was Chevy's replacement for the cavalier, it had nothing to do with the name being "prestigious". With this in mind, it wouldn't really matter if they kept the name or not, because of the fact the cobalt name plate doesn't have anything going for it, but it also doesn't have anything against it. From the very beginig GM has treated the cobalt as a "gap filler". Something to fill the gap inbetween the Cavalier and their new lineup, they hardely ever advertise it, it had little to no launch enthusiam, and it was largely a car made of compoents from other GM cars.
FYI: The monte carlo is going to be phased out, the Malibu has already been redesigned for 08, and the Impala is going to be redesigned for 09. The cobalt does not fit in with the generals new line up going into 2009. The camaro will fill the gap that the SS leaves behind, leaving the only job of the cobalt being "Economy" and that will be up for grabs, and thats where the Chevy Volt will come in.
As far as the Volt being out of the price range that the cobalt is in, GM Daewoo will probably fill that gap with a newer Aveo Hatch and sedan model that is due to be designed on the Delta 2 platform.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Wow. Ditching the SS Supercharged...Now im really kicking myself in the nuts for not getting the G85...DAMN IT!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Said it before. say it again.

Were not getting the LNF.
the Astra will.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM

Whats LNF stand for??
Old 04-28-2007, 06:17 PM

Oh well. time to lose the cavy, and 4th gen camaro for a new camaro
Old 04-28-2007, 06:21 PM

they hardely ever advertise it, it had little to no launch enthusiam, and it was largely a car made of compoents from other GM cars.

Well, they used to advertise it; there were several Cobalt commercials at first. Now if you see a Cobalt in a commercial its just a glimpse with a bunch of other cars.

As to this thread in general.... I see it as a simplification of the entire Cobalt line. Its all about money. Yes I think they'll go to just one engine choice. The days of three available engines are over, and its not going to hurt sales by much. I suspect that maybe 90% of all Cobalts built up to now have the 2.2 in them. What will they lose if they abandon the SS buyers? Probably not enough to justify the cost of having three completely uncompatible engines, electrical systems, etc, not to mention all the warranty issues with the SS/SC clutches and axles that are discussed all over this forum. Just like the SVT Focus which was mentioned earlier - dropping the SVT line gave Ford a bigger cost savings than they were making by selling a few thousand Focus SVTs a year to enthusiasts. Same story with the Cobalt - GM is tightening its belt and cutting specialty models.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe 2008 will see the 2.2 and LNF engines as the only choices. Or maybe just the 2.2 <that's my prediction. We'll see in a few months.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by HickOverLOrd
Whats LNF stand for??
To be more descriptive,The LNF is another ecotec variant that features a 2.0L engine size, but features all the modern amenities that the 2.4L has (VVT). It also features Direct Injection and a Turbo instead of a supercharger, and makes around 260HP. It is worlds better then the LSJ as far as technology and potential, and its assumed that it will replace the LSJ in many applications.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:27 PM

The cobalt sold extremely well for its first two years because it was Chevy's replacement for the cavalier, it had nothing to do with the name being "prestigious". With this in mind, it wouldn't really matter if they kept the name or not, because of the fact the cobalt name plate doesn't have anything going for it, but it also doesn't have anything against it. From the very beginig GM has treated the cobalt as a "gap filler". Something to fill the gap inbetween the Cavalier and their new lineup, they hardely ever advertise it, it had little to no launch enthusiam, and it was largely a car made of compoents from other GM cars.
FYI: The monte carlo is going to be phased out, the Malibu has already been redesigned for 08, and the Impala is going to be redesigned for 09. The cobalt does not fit in with the generals new line up going into 2009. The camaro will fill the gap that the SS leaves behind, leaving the only job of the cobalt being "Economy" and that will be up for grabs, and thats where the Chevy Volt will come in.
As far as the Volt being out of the price range that the cobalt is in, GM Daewoo will probably fill that gap with a newer Aveo Hatch and sedan model that is due to be designed on the Delta 2 platform.
I never said the cobalt name was prestigious, but GM having a name that hasnt been tainted by years of **** cars,has got decent reviews is somthing they should hold on to, and how dosnt the cobalt "fit in" with the linup? the volt will be pushed back a couple times im guessing. How does the camaro fill the gap the cobalt sssc leaves? the ss/sc is a good bang for the buck car, the camaro is going to be fairly expesive, especially with all the dealer markups its going to get
Old 04-28-2007, 06:32 PM

In a nutshell:

The info posted is 100% accurate. 2.4SS is now the "Sport" model and there's no SC for 08.

For 09 it'll be back in turbo form. Gm didn't want to waste the resources adapting the 2.0SC to new emissions requirements. Instead they're allowing their engineers extra time to adopt the TURBO powertrain.

Should see a redesign as well.

Until I hear something else, which is always a possibility, my info is completely accurate. How do I know? I just do...don't question the wisdom
Old 04-28-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by halfj99
I never said the cobalt name was prestigious, but GM having a name that hasnt been tainted by years of **** cars,has got decent reviews is somthing they should hold on to, and how dosnt the cobalt "fit in" with the linup? the volt will be pushed back a couple times im guessing. How does the camaro fill the gap the cobalt sssc leaves? the ss/sc is a good bang for the buck car, the camaro is going to be fairly expesive, especially with all the dealer markups its going to get
The camaro V6 will fit right into the slot the SS/SC leaves. As far as dealer markups, they will fade after the first year or so.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Thanks guys. Thats what I thought it was...sounded familiar. The engine is way awesome. My buddys dad has a Sky Redline. He gave me a ride in and that is a fast car. Big turbo difference between it and my Buddys WRX. Twinscroll FTW! lol
Old 04-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tiller
In a nutshell:

The info posted is 100% accurate. 2.4SS is now the "Sport" model and there's no SC for 08.

For 09 it'll be back in turbo form. Gm didn't want to waste the resources adapting the 2.0SC to new emissions requirements. Instead they're allowing their engineers extra time to adopt the TURBO powertrain.

Until I hear something else, which is always a possibility, my info is completely accurate. How do I know? I just do...don't question the wisdom
I will be sure to add your name to the list of the "I know whats going to happen".
Old 04-28-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiller
In a nutshell:

not that i directly doubt you persay....
but we have heard that line before.
and its usually bullshit.

sorry man. lots of people say "i know, but i cant tell you how"
Old 04-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
...wow....this is disheartening....well, looks like I won't ever be gettin' an SS/SC, better look to other cars.....

I belive the Astra will be gettinbg the LNF next...I thinkt he cobalt's top line in performance will be the 2.4L

Quick Reply: 08 cobalt changes