General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

2.0, 2.2 & 2.4 High Flow Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2.0, 2.2 & 2.4 High Flow Catalytic Converter

I recently inquired with RandomTechnology http://www.randomtechnology.com for a high flow direct fit replacement of the factory cat; see the e-mails below. I have replied and told them that I would get a feeler from our site to see who would be interested in having another manufacturer of a high flow cat for our cars. Please tell me if you are interested in having more competition for this product and what size you are interested in. Remember this is for a direct bolt in replacement, no cutting!! Be sure to check out there site and give me a response. The more interest we have the more likely it will become a reality.

Thanks,

Scott

----- Original Message -----
To: pricing@randomtechnology.com ; tech@randomtechnology.com
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2006 11:38 PM
Subject: Chevrolet Cobalt Applications??

I am wondering if Random Technology has plans to develop a High Flow Cat for the Chevrolet Cobalts. I have a Cobalt with the 2.2L and I hear the inlet to the Cat on this car is about 2" and that the inlet on the cat for the 2.0 supercharged is about 2.5". I am a member of the forum site cobaltss.net. These cars are becoming very popular with the aftermarket. People are cutting out their cats or replacing them. I am interested in replacing my factory Cat with a high quality high flow unit. I plan on building up my car but keeping it naturally aspirated.

Their reply:

We've been considering building a SuperStainless converter for the Cobalt, but haven't had a lot of interest yet. The first step is to get a photo of a stock converter to see what's involved. then, we'll have to get our hands on a stock converter and possibly a vehicle so we can build a prototype and test fit it. Any chance you could send us a photo of the stock converter?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 PM

Question

I also forgot to mention this before. Where are we supposed to post something that is performance related that applies to all Cobalts regardless or powerplant. I didn't want to post this 3 different times, once in each of the performance forums. I know this is a General Forum, but how about a General Cobalt Performance Forum?? This way we could group everything performance related that applies to all cars and then separate the things that are engine specific.

Scott
Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 PM

well thats cool i guess but isnt there already cats out there for us
Old 03-31-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by celicacobalt
well thats cool i guess but isnt there already cats out there for us
I'm not aware of any direct bolt in replacement CATs that are currently available; if anyone knows of any, please let me know. Regardless, the more that are on the market the more we have from which to choose.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 03-31-2006, 09:02 PM

there was a few on gravana's site
Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 PM

yeah but multiple options are always better for the consumer. I'd be interested in this product.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 PM

Keep in Mind

Here's the note you'll find on the Gravana site:

Notes :
This converter will replace the existing catalytic converter, but may require some cutting, welding, and/or fabrication. It is best to have someone with experience in exhaust work install these types of converters. Emissions certificates are included for your installer where applicable. 5yr/50k mile warranty.

I am talking about a direct bolt in replacement. That's why I am interested in having Random Technology make one for our cars.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:08 AM

Exclamation Update

I got my car up over my head today to take some pics for them, because they are interested and they asked me to send some pics. The pics have been sent. While under the car I also used a vernier caliper to measure the pipe diameter before and after the cat on my 2.2L. I had heard that the 2.2L had a much smaller inlet than the 2.0L. I measured the inlet to find it about 2.25" but the outlet was just under, that's right under 2.0". So a direct bolt on cat from the exhaust manifold to the catback of 2.5" with a high flow cat would be a great thing for us. It would also open up the sound of the Corsa catback's for us as well. I'll post any updates as this continues. I still need to know who is interested in this super stainless high flow CAT from Random Technology; it will bolt up to the stock manifold or aftermarket header in that location and the catback system.

Scott
Old 04-04-2006, 09:45 AM

i'm interested, i don't like the offerings from Magnaflow, most of their stuff doesn't sound that good to me.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 AM

keep me updated
Old 04-04-2006, 02:35 PM

I'm definately interested, and stainless steel is great!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 PM

I e-mailed Random Technology in the early AM today. I sent them ten pictures and told them I would update them on the amount of interest generated by my thread. If anyone would like to see the e-mail with the pics that I sent to Random Technology just PM me and I'll forward the e-mail to you. I have to do it while at wok on broadband.

Scott

Currently we have the following interested:
1. CobaltCoupeCrazy
2. Mindriot
3. GSoccer24
4. CobaltCowboy
5. CobaltLT
Old 04-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Exclamation Update from Random Technology

They replied to me this afternoon with the following:

Scott-

Thanks for sending the photos. They confirm that we'll need to have an original equipment converter so we can build a fixture and we'll also need a vehicle so we can test fit a prototype. I'm checking with some local sources to see if we can come up with a converter, a vehicle or both. I'll let you know when we find something.

Dave

I told him to keep me up to date on the status of this project so that I could relay that information to everyone and that I would keep him updated on the number of people interested as that number increases.

Scott
Old 04-16-2006, 10:17 PM

I'm Interested also, any new news on this?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:06 PM

check out dynomax
www.dynomax.com
go to their master catalogue on the left menu
Old 04-17-2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by brandon11482
I'm Interested also, any new news on this?

No new news yet. I'm giving them some time to get their hands on a car. I'll check this week to make sure they are still green lighted on this.
Also, remember that we are talking about a direct bolt in hi flow super stainless cat 2.5", no cutting or welding at all. This coming from a company that has pioneered the hi flow cat.

Scott
Old 04-23-2006, 02:15 PM

I'd definately be interested in one but I was thinking about getting the pacesetter header which requires cutting so I could still get it and I'd just have to cut it.
Any idea of how much it will cost.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 AM

Question

Originally Posted by BlackLS
I'd definately be interested in one but I was thinking about getting the pacesetter header which requires cutting so I could still get it and I'd just have to cut it.
Any idea of how much it will cost.
Are you sure?? I thought the pacesetter was a direct bolt on no cutting required?? Personally, I am waiting for a better header to be released, a higher quality direct fit application.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:37 AM

Exclamation Update from Dave at Random Technology

----- Original Message -----

To: tech@randomtechnology.com
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 11:44 PM
Subject: Hey Dave Status of the Cobalt Hi Flow Cat. Application

Hey Dave,

I am just wondering if you guys have had an opportunity to locate a car to start work on a direct fit high flow cat replacement for the Chevrolet Cobalt.

Any update will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Hey Dave Status of the Cobalt Hi Flow Cat. Application
Date: 4/24/2006 11:35:22 Eastern Standard Time

We haven't made any progress on a converter for the Cobalt yet. We're arranging for a car and as soon as we get everything worked out, we'll get rolling on the converter.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:46 PM

I e-mailed them a while back about this and I am still interested if they produce one.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Get low

i have the magnaflow one on gravanatuning and its great 2.5" also a cat wont rlly change ur sound a whole lot, not having one will but the diff cats sound very simular... grat combo with the headers
Old 04-26-2006, 03:44 AM

Question

Originally Posted by biohazard
i have the magnaflow one on gravanatuning and its great 2.5" also a cat wont rlly change ur sound a whole lot, not having one will but the diff cats sound very simular... grat combo with the headers
Perhaps if you had 2.5" piping all the way through, the sound would increase a bit. You bought a 2.5" Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat and had it cut and welded in but still used 2.00" pipe?? That's your choke hold right there!! Have you done any upgrades to the cat back??
Old 05-04-2006, 08:55 PM

I am definitely interested. I am looking for a header/manifold, cat, exhaust combination that will mate right up to each other without cutting or welding.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:07 PM

Find out where they are located and find someone who lives near them and have them stop by and see if that would help move things along. Make sure this person can leave their car at some point.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We need this. There are shorty headers starting to come out now and this will be a perfect match up. I'm in!

Quick Reply: 2.0, 2.2 & 2.4 High Flow Catalytic Converter