General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

2006 Cobalt SS - no shift indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Cobalt SS - no shift indicator light

Greetings!

I am taking my barely-week-old baby to the dealership tomorrow. I have been driving it for almost a week and noticed that the shift indicator light NEVER comes on. My hubby bought a Cobalt LX just over a month ago that is also a manual transmission. I am familiar with the gauges and thought this to be a bit odd.

I called the dealership and was told to "run up the rpms to about 4500 to 5000 and see if it comes on" so I tried this once - no light.

I also feel a bit of a vibration and lift through the shifter handle after shifting the car into third gear. When I hit the gas I feel the shifter handle lift up a bit and vibrate - which I think may be due to a loose motor mount.

Dumb question but figured I would ask anyway: there SHOULD be a shift indicator light on cars with the manual transmission, correct?

Anyone else experienced issues with the vibration and lifting I described concerning the shifter itself?

I'm figuring it to be something relatively minor since the car has been sitting on the lot and basically the only miles were test drive miles....of course, that's what the warranty is for.

Everyone have a great day and thank you for providing a forum SS owners.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 AM

i want a cobalt LX!! jk.. my shift light dont come on either i have a 2.4ss
Old 01-05-2007, 10:23 AM

No light on SS/SC
Old 01-05-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by mscougargirl
Greetings!

I am taking my barely-week-old baby to the dealership tomorrow. I have been driving it for almost a week and noticed that the shift indicator light NEVER comes on. My hubby bought a Cobalt LX just over a month ago that is also a manual transmission. I am familiar with the gauges and thought this to be a bit odd.

I called the dealership and was told to "run up the rpms to about 4500 to 5000 and see if it comes on" so I tried this once - no light.

I also feel a bit of a vibration and lift through the shifter handle after shifting the car into third gear. When I hit the gas I feel the shifter handle lift up a bit and vibrate - which I think may be due to a loose motor mount.

Dumb question but figured I would ask anyway: there SHOULD be a shift indicator light on cars with the manual transmission, correct?

Anyone else experienced issues with the vibration and lifting I described concerning the shifter itself?

I'm figuring it to be something relatively minor since the car has been sitting on the lot and basically the only miles were test drive miles....of course, that's what the warranty is for.

Everyone have a great day and thank you for providing a forum SS owners.

The ss models do not have a shift light... usually cars with shiftlights have no rpm gauge.... i personally think a shift light is butt ugly.. so consider yourself lucky... i have a 2005 ss/sc and it dont have one... and i know for a fact 06's dont either.... why would u need a shift light anyways? i gaurantee when it comes on u dont even shift at that rpm anyways.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:31 AM

You are absolutely correct and I wish they would have told me that at the dealership when I bought it. Since we've had the other cobalt for over a month I thought it strange. Yeah, those bright yellow shift lights can be ugly and distracting. I just listen to the car and shift. IMO you can't go wrong if you are paying attention to what the car is telling you.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mscougargirl
You are absolutely correct and I wish they would have told me that at the dealership when I bought it. Since we've had the other cobalt for over a month I thought it strange. Yeah, those bright yellow shift lights can be ugly and distracting. I just listen to the car and shift. IMO you can't go wrong if you are paying attention to what the car is telling you.

very true...but the problem i have is this car makes power right up to red line, unlike other manuals i have driven that drop off before redline. so unless im watching the tach i hit the limiter.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2006 2.4L has a shift light, when I hit about 6500 rpms, until 6750 rpms (which is my redline). That is the only time it comes on.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:46 PM

I have an 07 ss supercharged, and what you were talking about in third gear happens to my car, it doesnt virate but I can feel it kind of lift, liek your discribing, I have ingalls torque dampners and solid motor mounts and it still does it, has ever since I got the car, I was never worried, I dont think its anything bad persoanly
Old 01-06-2007, 03:14 PM

my friend had this old ass rollarskate looking car which had a shift light.... they just busted the light out :-p