General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

2008 Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing is... even if the new cobalt is turbo, I'd much rather swap a twinscrew supercharger onto my cobalt and still be super.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
chevrolet has done a lot to keep the SS/SC under 20k. with the caliber going into the mid 20s, i think that it makes a lot more sense to keep the SS S/C as pure as they can. if a tubro is in the works, great, same with VVT... but lets think logicallly...

a turbo is cheaper than a normal blower... so this could make sense, it would probably also be a little be quieter... better yet. also, a turbo can be easier on gas as it's pretty simple to computer control the bypass valve these days and keep the boost at cruise speed right around ambient.

VVT and direct injection... these are a lot more money. will the turbo savings out weigh the cost of them? i have NO idea. my guess would be that since the 2,4 is more common now than a year or two ago, you may have a decent shot, but... i dunno.
Changing the engine in this car will not save GM one red cent...any savings that might be gained by putting a cheaper turbo on the car (which may not be cheaper if they have to deal with typical turbo issues) will surely be outweighed by the cost of R&D that must be done to ensure they can put the engine in the car and put a warranty behind it. They can't just toss the Solstice engine in the car...

Not to mention the fact that they'd be basically throwing their money that they put into stage kit R&D out the window, as new ones will surely have to be developed. What would make aLOT more sense for GM to do, would be to come out with stage 3, similar to the SRT stage 3, which would include a new blower, that is efficent up to a higher PSI....twin screw perhaps. If GM keeps backing the Cobalt as their tuner car...the aftermarket will surely follow. However if the 2008 Cobalt comes out as a turbo'd car, this will really hurt the aftermarket support. Aftermarket companies spend money developing their products too, it does them no service to have to totally re-design their products every 2 years because <insert car company here> has drastically changed their drivetrains.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoony
Changing the engine in this car will not save GM one red cent...any savings that might be gained by putting a cheaper turbo on the car (which may not be cheaper if they have to deal with typical turbo issues) will surely be outweighed by the cost of R&D that must be done to ensure they can put the engine in the car and put a warranty behind it. They can't just toss the Solstice engine in the car...

Not to mention the fact that they'd be basically throwing their money that they put into stage kit R&D out the window, as new ones will surely have to be developed. What would make aLOT more sense for GM to do, would be to come out with stage 3, similar to the SRT stage 3, which would include a new blower, that is efficent up to a higher PSI....twin screw perhaps. If GM keeps backing the Cobalt as their tuner car...the aftermarket will surely follow. However if the 2008 Cobalt comes out as a turbo'd car, this will really hurt the aftermarket support. Aftermarket companies spend money developing their products too, it does them no service to have to totally re-design their products every 2 years because <insert car company here> has drastically changed their drivetrains.

you may be right, it's all just a lot of "i think" s right now. more than likely, the car will stay the same over all. the only real change i could possibly see is the adding of VVT to it. if one were to open the bore up a bit, and add VVT, i'd think it would be a drastic power change... but more than likely, the motor will stay 95% the same.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by avro206
2.3L
it was still nothing to get excited about.
:P

Scott
Old 06-19-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury
The thing is... even if the new cobalt is turbo, I'd much rather swap a twinscrew supercharger onto my cobalt and still be super.
Definetly agree with that.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:06 PM

Went to the "HIN"(Hot import nights) this weekend and saw the gm rep there .He said there is a stage 3 kit comeing this fall but the bad thing about that kit is that u will lose the air conditioning in ur car .Dont ask me why but that is what he said .Plus he gave me a book on how to build my engine for 260 all the way to the built proof 1400hp motor .Its all in one book all the parts u need and where to get them even if gm don't carry it .
Old 06-19-2006, 04:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellowcharged
Went to the "HIN"(Hot import nights) this weekend and saw the gm rep there .He said there is a stage 3 kit comeing this fall but the bad thing about that kit is that u will lose the air conditioning in ur car .Dont ask me why but that is what he said .Plus he gave me a book on how to build my engine for 260 all the way to the built proof 1400hp motor .Its all in one book all the parts u need and where to get them even if gm don't carry it .
You can reprogram your air conditioner to shut off at WOT. That would help a little if you wanted to race someone and Chewie didn't have time to "set the hyperdrive".
Old 06-19-2006, 06:45 PM

Ya I have seen that book actually its pretty nice. My friend who has a stage 2 yellow SS has one and it shows you how to build your motor and what mods. and stuff, thats pretty sweet.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM

i know its going to be turbo but what about the new looks?,, i heard there deleting the wing, any other news for 08 SS?
Old 06-19-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
You can reprogram your air conditioner to shut off at WOT. That would help a little if you wanted to race someone and Chewie didn't have time to "set the hyperdrive".
The AC already does shut off at WOT . The vents dont stop blowing air , but the AC compressor is interupted .
Old 06-20-2006, 12:08 AM

hey

I think its not going to be worth it or could be a lie but then again the solstice gxps are turboed so u never kno. Our cobalts will be modded by then to smoke the 08s so its all good plus i think a supercharger is just cooler then a turbo
Old 06-24-2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Fidget
I was at the mall yesterday and GM had a display of a few cars including a red SS/SC. I talked to the rep that was there who actually knew what he was talking about.

He informed me that yes they are talking about a 2008 turbo SS/SC with the same engine that is in the 2.4L turbo solstice. Apparently this engine is more fuel efficient than a supercharged motor.

Since still 1 year away we will just have to see what GM has in store.
Not to rag you, but two things:

1) If the Cobalt SS goes turbo, I can pretty much gaurantee that it won't be called a "Cobalt SS Supercharged", but instead "Cobalt SS Turbocharged" (or something similar). I know GM is stupid, but even I don't think that they are that dumb.

2) The engine in the Solstice/Sky is a 2.0L Turbo. It is basically the same engine as the LSJ except it is turbocharged and features variable valve timing and direct injection. The 2.4L is a N/A engine that is the same as in the Cobalt SS and Pursuit GT.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSS/SC
For the cobalt SS , GM claims a 17% drivetrain loss
I think GM is lying if that is what they told you. 10% is very normal for a FWD car. Front engine, rear drive usually only looses 15 % power. If the 17% power loss is true, than a car that dyno'd 200 HP at the wheels (many cars have done more than this) than that would mean we had 241 stock at the crank!?!?!?!? If that were the case, I can assure you we'd be rated more than 205 ponies!

I have driven a lot of different cars, with varying drivetrains and power levels. A stock SS/SC definately makes somewhere between 200-230 HP stock at the crank. No more, no less.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Spoony

That is the most logical standpoint I've seen in this entire post. It makes more business minded sense than anything else anyone has said! You go Spoony!