General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

2008 cobalt ss/sc 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robby_06_cobalt
dont be so sure, the sky red line is getting a turbo, alone with the ugly @$$ Poniacc...
Neither of these cars have anything to do with the Cobalt...they're not even in the Chevy lineup...

If you wanted a turbo you shoulda bought a srt-4...I'm not sure why so many people are so turbo-happy...turbo's are *not* superior to superchargers...seriously. If you really want a turbo that bad just do a swap...the engine can handle boost, and you'd lose alot less $$ swapping a turbo onto the car then you would trading an 06 in 2 years into your contract.

if you wanted AWD you shoulda bought a WRX ... I doubt they're going to change engine configurations in this car 4 years into it's production...and I doubt even more they're going to make it AWD...Chevy isn't known for doing either of the aforementioned things.

Going AWD would take quite a lot of R&D to make sure they could put it in the car and then put a warranty behind it, throwing a Turbo on the car would be significantly easier...but as stated...turbo's are a bigger pain in the ass when it comes to warranty...boost leaks, hoses blowing off...the extra heat, none of it makes sense from GM's standpoint.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:39 PM

Not to mention the Sky isn't even on the same platform as the Cobalt. And Chevy has done AWD before. Heck, they even had a Silverado with AWD, I know cuz I was looking at it and almost bought one. But I can't think of even once that Chevy has put a turbo on a production car.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:41 AM

I really hope GM gets smart and puts LSD as a standard option in the 08 SS.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard (in my mind) that the Cobalt was going to be based on the soltice drive train, become turbo (same as soltice) with forged pistons so it can handle 600HP out the box with stock HP at 275. Yep its a rear wheel drive. DRRRIIFFFFTER
Old 05-18-2006, 01:03 AM

the super charger was used more do to packaging than any thing it would have been a tight fit is this small of a car...hell if you want a turbo get a Saab 9-3SS....they cant make as much power as easily as we can....pistons are (imo) going to always be a weak link thats what the aftermarket is for...well thats just my 2cents
Old 05-18-2006, 01:06 AM

sorry for the stupid question but what is zeta platform cars???,,are they going to make rwd cars now?(<good idea)
Old 05-18-2006, 01:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97CIVIC
sorry for the stupid question but what is zeta platform cars???,,are they going to make rwd cars now?(<good idea)
I was BSing (voices in my head told me...) I dont want to be responsible for a crazy ass rumor.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ssnipes
I was BSing (voices in my head told me...) I dont want to be responsible for a crazy ass rumor.
dude. the pheta cars are coming soon aswell :P
Old 05-18-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by InfinityzeN
Not to mention the Sky isn't even on the same platform as the Cobalt. And Chevy has done AWD before. Heck, they even had a Silverado with AWD, I know cuz I was looking at it and almost bought one. But I can't think of even once that Chevy has put a turbo on a production car.
Sure but how many cars have they put AWD on?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spoony
Sure but how many cars have they put AWD on?
There was a Camaro Z28 in the late 70s or early 80s that had a turbo. A few little cars came with turbos, Chevy Sprint and the Spectrum. I think just a few more.

There are actually a lot of cars with the Chevy name plate that are AWD. Unless you mean just CARS, not SUVs and trucks.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:51 PM

Well, I wasn't looking that far back 280Z, but your right. However, they use Superchargers all the time, specially in the last couple of years. And AWD is something that Chevy does do and do well. They just don't do it as much as some people would like, and rarely on their cars.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:56 PM

I think GM needs to bring back the Sy and Ty in 08. (Syclone and Typhoon for newbs)
Old 05-18-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tofu
I really hope GM gets smart and puts LSD as a standard option in the 08 SS.
Why? Make the price tag bigger? Some of us don't want to pay extra for LSD. Just sayin'
Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by 280Z1977
There was a Camaro Z28 in the late 70s or early 80s that had a turbo. A few little cars came with turbos, Chevy Sprint and the Spectrum. I think just a few more.

There are actually a lot of cars with the Chevy name plate that are AWD. Unless you mean just CARS, not SUVs and trucks.
I did just mean cars.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:09 PM

i hope they tighten up the panel gaps in the 08s!.....but its not gonna happen...
Old 05-18-2006, 01:45 PM

Not car but truck Chevy Typhoon
Old 05-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

I did just mean cars.
That is what I figured. Yeah there are only few AWD Chevy cars.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mercury
Yes we all understand that there is a turbo 2.0. It won't see its way into the cobalt.
There IS going to be a turbo 2.0 in the 08 SS, along with another Chevy vehicle (but I won;t say what it is right now) This is according to the plant that is producing the turbo 2.0.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 AM
MaJ

Originally Posted by 05redline
There IS going to be a turbo 2.0 in the 08 SS, along with another Chevy vehicle (but I won;t say what it is right now) This is according to the plant that is producing the turbo 2.0.
Can you at least say if the SC will remain an option, then there will be a SC model, AND a Turbo model? Or, is the Turbo replacing the SC?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaJ
Can you at least say if the SC will remain an option, then there will be a SC model, AND a Turbo model? Or, is the Turbo replacing the SC?
Yea i wont to know that too....
Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM

The 2008 Cobalt SS will have a 2.0L direct injection turbo engine. It is the same engine used in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. It has 260hp and 260lb/ft of torque.

Hope this at least satifies some of your mechanical curiosities. As for appearance, I don't know yet.

I work for GM, so I see experimental vehicles and get info on upcoming vehicles way before the public. I don't mind leaking a little for CobaltSS.net
Old 05-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by red_wing_2121
The 2008 Cobalt SS will have a 2.0L direct injection turbo engine. It is the same engine used in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. It has 260hp and 260lb/ft of torque.

Hope this at least satifies some of your mechanical curiosities. As for appearance, I don't know yet.

I work for GM, so I see experimental vehicles and get info on upcoming vehicles way before the public. I don't mind leaking a little for CobaltSS.net
Not to be a hater but I doubt this....I can't think of any time GM has used the exact same drivetrain in two completely different platforms. This will basically make the Cobalt a FWD version of the sky redline / solstice GT...I realize some of you guys really want a turbo (why I have no idea)...but this doesn't make ANY sense from a business standpoint, and moves just like this are what shy aftermarket support away from a vehicle, no one wants to make products if they have to re-design them every few years because a car manufacturer can't make up it's mind. They may have indeed chucked this engine into a cobalt somewhere, that doesn't mean it will make it into production.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by red_wing_2121

please keep us posted!!!
(i really hope they put the turbo 2.0!!!)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:53 PM

Wow how do you figure using the same engine makes our cars the same as a two seater convertible? Is that new math so i guess we can say that the Buick Lucerne with the NSTAR engine is the FWD version of the XLR.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:09 PM

Not to be a hater but I doubt this....I can't think of any time GM has used the exact same drivetrain in two completely different platforms. This will basically make the Cobalt a FWD version of the sky redline / solstice GT...I realize some of you guys really want a turbo (why I have no idea)...but this doesn't make ANY sense from a business standpoint, and moves just like this are what shy aftermarket support away from a vehicle, no one wants to make products if they have to re-design them every few years because a car manufacturer can't make up it's mind. They may have indeed chucked this engine into a cobalt somewhere, that doesn't mean it will make it into production.

It is going into production as a 2.0L direct injection turbo. Not because I like turbos (I actually like superchargers), but because it is an engine already produced for Opel and it will be shared among the three vehicles (Sky, Solstice, Cobalt) in a very cost effective manner because it is already being made. It was not simply a test mule that I got the info from, it is factual and official GM documents that I have read and have also seen the enigne already in use in the Solstice and Sky. Do not doubt me, for I know what I am talking about.

Originally Posted by BeermanSSSC
Wow how do you figure using the same engine makes our cars the same as a two seater convertible? Is that new math so i guess we can say that the Buick Lucerne with the NSTAR engine is the FWD version of the XLR.
You, my friend, are dead right. I do not understand why he would think that by simply putting the 2.0L direct injection turbo into the Cobalt would make it the same as the Solstice and Sky. The 2.0L direct injection turbo is still an Ecotec, so the mounting of the engine to transmissions of the Solstice, Sky, and Cobalt would not have to be changed very much, if at all. Sure, it will take up a little more room in the Cobalt's engine bay, but it will still fit with relative ease.

Quick Reply: 2008 cobalt ss/sc 2.0