General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

2008 cobalt ss/sc 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peg-city SS
Not car but truck Chevy Typhoon
Ummmmmmmmmmm.. you do realize that that is the GMC Typhoon, not the Chevy Typhoon right? We are talking about Chevy vehicles, not all the vehicles in the GM family. Chevy was looking at putting out several dif versions of their own, but none were ever put into production. Sorry.

And I don't care if that guy does work for GM, totally ditching a powertrain in a car after only a couple of years, especially in a car that was released as a "Tuner Car", makes no sense from a biz standpoint. They might make minor changes and improvements to the engine, but they will keep the same basic engine at least 5 or 6 years in the car.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by InfinityzeN
Ummmmmmmmmmm.. you do realize that that is the GMC Typhoon, not the Chevy Typhoon right? We are talking about Chevy vehicles, not all the vehicles in the GM family. Chevy was looking at putting out several dif versions of their own, but none were ever put into production. Sorry.

And I don't care if that guy does work for GM, totally ditching a powertrain in a car after only a couple of years, especially in a car that was released as a "Tuner Car", makes no sense from a biz standpoint. They might make minor changes and improvements to the engine, but they will keep the same basic engine at least 5 or 6 years in the car.
It is not totally ditching a powertrain. You take the supercharger and current head of the current Ecotec, and you can basically put the direct injection and turbo system in. There are other things such as ECM, exhaust, and intake, etc.; but for the most part, it is the same. I do not see where we have to "ditch" the current powertrain.

...but they will keep the same basic engine at least 5 or 6 years in the car.
At least you got this part right.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:19 PM

Oh well, guess I'm not going to get a Cobalt SS then, because I don't want a turbo. If I wanted a turbo I'd buy a WRX. And I know I'm not alone because alot of people got it just for the supercharger. So it would be a rather stupid move.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:20 PM

Plus the Opel Astra is replacing the Saturn ION so its kind of a real easy way to build 4 cars with relatively few different parts. Its called a Toyota Production System. Just In Time inventory and using many of the same parts in all its models cuts costs and change over time in factories.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:21 PM

Oh well, guess I'm not going to get a Cobalt SS then, because I don't want a turbo. If I wanted a turbo I'd buy a WRX. And I know I'm not alone because alot of people got it just for the supercharger. So it would be a rather stupid move.
I was actually thinking of buying an STI myself. They are affiliated with GM, now.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:23 PM

This is what I'm talking about...people just get used to tuning the car and start learning about it then you pull a 180 on them and go in a totally different direction?

I'm not doubting you've been told stuff or that you work for GM, hell maybe they will release it as a turbo in 08, but it pretty much goes against anything GM has done in the past. Aside from that it goes against common sense, you don't put R&D into a car to make sweeping changes to the car 4 years later...most of the money they would have put into R&D for the 2.0l SC engine would then be wasted.

If GM is smart they'd get into keeping their powertrains similiar so the aftermarket can open up for their vehicles, especially with this car being such a great tuner car...it's not going to work in anyone's favor if they change the drivetrain after 4 years, wave bubye to your aftermarket support

edit: we can all specualte as much as we want, but nothing is certain until it's put into a press release by GM...so we can all wait and see...for the sake of aftermarket support for this car I hope they stay with the S/C. Not to mention it sets the car apart from every other car out there that is currently using a turbo...it's nice to be different.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:25 PM

Yes, but I wanted it because it was a Chevy and a small sports car and it had a super. If they dump the super I'll go having owned all Chevy's (except one vehicle) in my life to most likely never getting another again. Thats how much it would **** me off. They have something unique right now, something that stands out, something that a whole lot of people really want.

(Edit was only spelling corrections)
Old 05-19-2006, 08:31 PM

Yes, but I wanted it because it was a Chevy and a small sports car and it had a super. If they dump the super I'll go having owned all Chevy's (except on vehicle) in my life to most likely never getting another again. Thats how much it would **** me off. They have something unique right now, something that stands out, something that a whole lot of people really want.

I agree with you, I cannot control what GM wants to do with their vehicles (though, I wish I could). I would definitely rather them keep the supercharger over going turbo. Besides, they do not have to use a turbo on that engine, a supercharger would be fine (still forced induction). I do not know why they don't just supercharge the direct injection engine. It is nice to be different, but I guess they are just jumping on the bandwagon of all the imports with their turbos.

In actuality, a supercharger is better for a four cylinder DOHC. You need low end torque and power to make up for only having four cylinders. And DOHC heads do not flow as well as a OHV head would, so you need the power of a supercharger to force that air in better than a turbo can.

Oh well, Gm does what they want. We cannot do anything about it. (I am still hoping that they do scrap the turbo and slap the supercharger on the direct injection.)
Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM

I doesn't seem like it would require much work to add direct injection to the LSJ. Do that, maybe some strong valve springs and pistons, and boom. You get set the redline to 7.5k or a little higher with the stage kits, force more boost into it, and make gobs of power. Oh well, its nice to dream.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:42 PM

Honestly I think it will be twin-charged...That will get some poeples attention. I mean Hahn is workin with GMPP right now. I think that is something to look out for.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SwizzDSMSS
Honestly I think it will be twin-charged...That will get some poeples attention. I mean Hahn is workin with GMPP right now. I think that is something to look out for.
Now that would be something special!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 PM

Twin charged... hummm... maybe I'd buy it then. You mean two turbos or a turbo and a super?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:43 PM

Twin charged... hummm... maybe I'd buy it then. You mean two turbos or a turbo and a super?
I think he means turbo and a super.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 PM

twin charged would be interesting...highly unlikely though
Old 05-21-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by red_wing_2121
The 2008 Cobalt SS will have a 2.0L direct injection turbo engine. It is the same engine used in the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. It has 260hp and 260lb/ft of torque.

Hope this at least satifies some of your mechanical curiosities. As for appearance, I don't know yet.

I work for GM, so I see experimental vehicles and get info on upcoming vehicles way before the public. I don't mind leaking a little for CobaltSS.net
will the other upcoming vehicle is a car or a truck?,,,, thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spoony
Neither of these cars have anything to do with the Cobalt...they're not even in the Chevy lineup...

If you wanted a turbo you shoulda bought a srt-4...I'm not sure why so many people are so turbo-happy...turbo's are *not* superior to superchargers...seriously. If you really want a turbo that bad just do a swap...the engine can handle boost, and you'd lose alot less $$ swapping a turbo onto the car then you would trading an 06 in 2 years into your contract.

if you wanted AWD you shoulda bought a WRX ... I doubt they're going to change engine configurations in this car 4 years into it's production...and I doubt even more they're going to make it AWD...Chevy isn't known for doing either of the aforementioned things.

Going AWD would take quite a lot of R&D to make sure they could put it in the car and then put a warranty behind it, throwing a Turbo on the car would be significantly easier...but as stated...turbo's are a bigger pain in the ass when it comes to warranty...boost leaks, hoses blowing off...the extra heat, none of it makes sense from GM's standpoint.
there all im the gm line up, if u pay anyattention to GM they use the same platform on all threre family, the sky and the solitce are two different makers, but with the same platfore, and with the same engine as the cobalt
Old 05-30-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by robby_06_cobalt
there all im the gm line up, if u pay anyattention to GM they use the same platform on all threre family, the sky and the solitce are two different makers, but with the same platfore, and with the same engine as the cobalt
The Sky/Solstice is a different platfrom than the Cobalt, and while it's an Ecotec engine, it also has many more differences than just the turbo.