General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Blu3's Post Deployment SS Sedan Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2024, 12:19 AM

Received 190 Likes on 150 Posts
Made some good progress. Oil change✅ side splitters✅ fog lights installed (need to wire when I install my headlights)✅ cooling fan✅ rear sway bar✅ my stash of parts has gotten a little bit thinner. New carpet and brakes are off the list. I’m going stay on the ceramic brakes that I am on they still have good pad life left. New coilovers are off the list currently.

1. Paint and wrap rear bumper.
2. Paint and wrap hood.
3. Install OTTP shifter pivot cup.
4. Replace OTTP shifter with new OTTP Shifter
5. Replace cooling fan.
6. Install heated seat pads in LNF seats
7. Install my retrofit headlights.
8. Install custom fog lights.
9. Install OTTP rear sway bar.
10. Install OTTP front sway bar.
11. Install Velocity Aerowerks front splitter
Rear splitter
Side splitters
12. Install new suspension (coilovers)
13. Install second battery with dual battery isolation kit.
14. Install and wire LNF heated seats.
15. Spark plugs.
16. Oil Change
17. Air filters, cabin/intake.
18. Give the car a bath
19. Wax, detail ect….
20. Sunroof switch

21. Window motors
22. Driver door lock actuator.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:28 PM

Well after all the work I have done, I’m ready to burn this thing to the ground now. I got the front and sides of my areo kit on and look great.

While crawling around under the car I noticed the inner driver axle boot is torn. That explains why there was grease splattered on my driver control arm. So I now have to replace that.

My cooling fan problem did not go away with the new fan as I thought it would. Fan 1 still does not come on, but I do get 13.6v at the connector to the fan….

2. Paint and wrap hood.
5. Replace cooling fan.
11. Install Velocity Aerowerks Splitter kit
Front splitter
Rear splitter
Side splitters
12. Install second battery with dual battery isolation kit.
13. Install and wire LNF heated seats.
14. Spark plugs.
15. Oil Change
16. Air filters, cabin/intake.
17. Give the car a bath
18. Wax, detail ect….
19. Sunroof switch

20. Window motors
21. Driver door lock actuator.
22. Replace driver alxe
23. Figure out cooling fan problem.
Old 08-01-2024, 04:23 PM

Received 544 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
Well after all the work I have done, I’m ready to burn this thing to the ground now. I got the front and sides of my areo kit on and look great.

While crawling around under the car I noticed the inner driver axle boot is torn. That explains why there was grease splattered on my driver control arm. So I now have to replace that.

My cooling fan problem did not go away with the new fan as I thought it would. Fan 1 still does not come on, but I do get 13.6v at the connector to the fan….

2. Paint and wrap hood.
5. Replace cooling fan.
Front splitter
Rear splitter
Side splitters
14. Spark plugs.
15. Oil Change
17. Give the car a bath
18. Wax, detail ect….
19. Sunroof switch

20. Window motors
22. Replace driver alxe
Did you check continuity with the relays that control the fans? There's 2 in the fuse box under the hood: one "low" and one "high" speed. You can run just low, since the high speed is really damn loud when idling (I know I can tune this but can't be bothered at the moment).
Old 08-02-2024, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
Did you check continuity with the relays that control the fans? There's 2 in the fuse box under the hood: one "low" and one "high" speed. You can run just low, since the high speed is really damn loud when idling (I know I can tune this but can't be bothered at the moment).
I read out a bunch of stuff found a prong to a relay grounded that that shouldn’t be. I took the fuse box apart and sure enough prong 30 on the cool fans relay, the switched ground relay was burnt up. Which is wire A6 that runs to the ground side of the cooling fan 1 connector. I’m looking for a fuse box now. And oddly enough I found your post from a. While back looking for a fuse box.
Old 08-02-2024, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by blu3_v1p3r
I read out a bunch of stuff found a prong to a relay grounded that that shouldn’t be. I took the fuse box apart and sure enough prong 30 on the cool fans relay, the switched ground relay was burnt up. Which is wire A6 that runs to the ground side of the cooling fan 1 connector. I’m looking for a fuse box now. And oddly enough I found your post from a. While back looking for a fuse box.
I found it almost nigh impossible to get another fuse box for the TC. If you're ok with a bit of soldering and trace layouts, you can overlap these and clean off the corrosion/carbon with some acetate and that should get you back up and running, provided you were able to get the board out without ruining the box like I did. My issue was the corrosion and I was able to take some small brass "pipe cleaners" and hammer away at the connections, the fuses, and the relays. Then meticulously added dielectric grease to all used posts (and granted, I had to clean up the wiring harness grounds points, all 4 of them).

EDIT: I seen a video of a guy doing this exact thing on YouTube with an older (2003?) GM truck because GM cut a ton of corners with the electrical during the 2000's and probably up until 2015.
Old 08-12-2024, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS
I found it almost nigh impossible to get another fuse box for the TC. If you're ok with a bit of soldering and trace layouts, you can overlap these and clean off the corrosion/carbon with some acetate and that should get you back up and running, provided you were able to get the board out without ruining the box like I did. My issue was the corrosion and I was able to take some small brass "pipe cleaners" and hammer away at the connections, the fuses, and the relays. Then meticulously added dielectric grease to all used posts (and granted, I had to clean up the wiring harness grounds points, all 4 of them).

EDIT: I seen a video of a guy doing this exact thing on YouTube with an older (2003?) GM truck because GM cut a ton of corners with the electrical during the 2000's and probably up until 2015.
I got a new(used) fuse box from a friend of the book of face. Cleaned it up some cleaned some corrosion off the fuses themselves. I wish I read this post before I put the fuse block in. I was trying to think of how to clean the contacts that fuses press into, and skipped it for now. I guess I’ll be looking for the tiny brass/wire pipe cleaners now. Currently everything is working fans on @ 94 and off just below 94.
Old 08-12-2024, 10:37 PM

Finally sorted out the cooling fan issues. Replaced the fuse block and problem solved. One thing on the list done, and it was 2 year head hurter.

My color changing cluster started to die out before I left on deployment. The RGB LEDs on the RPM gauge lost the green color, and gas gauge LEDs died completely. I removed that cluster ordered another and got the replacement in. I’ll be replacing/upgrading the LED strips and upgrading the controller. Should be pretty easy.

Haven’t gotten much else done. Actually kinda went backwards. I installed the headlights and fog lights, they worked, but there were minor issues with some wiring and LED controllers. They worked, but some modes didn’t work properly, mainly blinker problems. I pulled them back out sent them back off, and they will be sorted out and on the car and ready to party.

My door locks are worse than ever, and the windows are annoyingly slow. So I might work on that some what soon. My temp fix on the axle boot is holding for now. Don’t expect that last long, but I have a brand new Napa axle for it. Just gotta find time to get the car on the lift and get the axle in and front sway bar in.
Old 08-12-2024, 10:41 PM

Updated list

2. Paint and wrap hood.
5. Replace cooling fan.
6. Install heated seat pads in LNF seats.
Front splitter
Rear splitter
Side splitters
14. Spark plugs.
15. Oil Change
17. Give the car a bath
18. Wax, detail ect….
19. Sunroof switch

20. Window motors
22. Replace driver alxe
Old 08-13-2024, 08:40 AM

Forgot to share these pictures of the car.

Old 08-13-2024, 07:24 PM

Looks nice! I'm still pissed that mine were destroyed when I had them on my GT.
Old 08-13-2024, 10:42 PM

Forgot to add this. The other day my brake lights were acting up. They would come on while pressing the pedal. I would press the pedal and they would stay k. Let off the pedal they would go off, basically count to 5 and they would come back on again. Replaced the brake pedal position sensor. Fixed it. Oddly enough the brake pedal position sensor and the clutch pedal ignition lock switch/neutral safety switch are the same parts.
Old 08-22-2024, 09:54 AM

Another up. Lol haha no progress. We’ll no progress that was on the list. I finally swapped the front speakers. Didn’t know the SS has speakers installed on to a speaker bracket I thought they were all built into the bracket as one piece. Was much easier to upgrade speakers in this than it was in my base.

The wires were a little corroded, gotta clean that up. Other wise everything is the same. Headlights fog lights have been sent off for wire repair and upgrade again. There are few spots the need the wrap fixed. Maybe I’ll wash the car again this weekend.
Old 09-01-2024, 12:01 AM

No more progress yet in major things. But made did start working on my gauge cluster. My color changing LED gauge cluster, started having issues with burnt out LEDs, so I upgraded to a color chasing LED set up. It’s Bluetooth controlled, and I can still turn it off and use the original lighting. Still in work don’t mind the needles all out of whack. Thats all fixed now. Haven’t taken a video reinstalled yet but here is a teaser.

Old 09-08-2024, 01:04 PM

Got my new shifter in and the new pivot cup. Love the feel of it. Feels tighter and smoother. Looks a lot better with the black engraved knob. Love it. OTTP FTW again.

Old 09-18-2024, 05:05 PM

When it rains, it pours….. or well it leaks 🤣

Had a water leak in the car. Couldn’t t have been leaking for long. I didn’t leak Monday when it was raining, or early Tuesday morning. I left work to get something to eat late Tuesday morning and there it was. The standard cobalt water leak. I drove around mad for a little bit and parked the car again as there was nothing I could do at work. Got back in later and it was worse, but it was never really bad. Got home cleaned out the sun roof drains and all was well. Water drains, no more leak.

A little bit bummed. All the people that said they could paint my bumper and hood fell through, so I couldn’t get them painted in time to let them gas out before wrapping. That won’t be done before my Tail of the Dragon trip. Lights have not come back yet from warranty and upgrades. Hopefully very soon they will be back. I miss being able to see at night. Heated seats, window motors, door locks are all on hold until I get the rest of the stuff finished up. Sway bar will go in when I do the driver axle. Hopefully this week. Rear splitter will go on the original bumper until I can get my new one painted and wrapped.

2. Paint and wrap hood.

5. Replace cooling fan.
6. Install heated seat pads in LNF seats.
Front splitter
Rear splitter
Side splitters
14. Spark plugs.
15. Oil Change
17. Give the car a bath
18. Wax, detail ect….
19. Sunroof switch

20. Window motors
22. Replace driver alxe
Old 09-19-2024, 10:53 AM

One more reason why I refuse to park under trees if I can help it (that and the swathes of bird poop and possible tree sap).
I like the sunroof button/cover combo you have!