General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Bought a Cobalt, have a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a Cobalt, have a couple questions

Howdy all.

After selling my '01 Corvette last week (sold it in order to send my wife to nursing school), we decided to get a Cobalt. It's a fun little car - something that is definitely lacking in this particular class of automobile. We scored 0% for 36 months, so we got a good deal to boot. It's a pretty basic Cobalt LS. The only options we have on it are auto trans, cruise control, and the small spoiler on the decklid. We have a lot of little things we'd like to do to it. Tinting the windows, adding an armrest, getting keyless, putting wheels/tires on it, and installing a stereo system. First, though, we have to get the paint taken care of. The dealer delivered it with horrible water spots, swirl marks, a couple scratches, a chip in the paint, and I think the delivery detailer may have actually burned the clear coat. I digress. The following are my questions:

In searching this forum, I found a post or two indicating that keyless entry was standard on the LS package on up. On the window sticker, I didn't see anything indicating this, and as a result, we don't have any fobs. Is this accurate? Were we jipped out of the fobs? Secondly, is it true that floormats are an option and not standard? It's not a huge deal since I'm planning on putting all-weather mats in anyway, but was curious nonetheless. Finally, after only 100 miles on it, and relatively conservative driving, we're averaging 21.5MPG in the city. I assume this gets better as the engine breaks in a bit more?

Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm sure I'll be frequenting this forum in the future, and look forward to leaching off of your collective knowledge!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:39 AM

On a four door, floormats front and rear are an option...code B35 and B34, MSRP of $80

Power doorlocks and remote entry is also an option, code AU3, cost is $410 MSRP

Something else that's an option you might want to add to avoid door dings is bodyside moldings...but you can get that at autozone or some other auto place...

If you are not happy with the paint, immediately take it back to the dealer and start to document it in your maintenance record at that dealer. Don't wait...get them to "fix" it for you.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Litre
Howdy all.

After selling my '01 Corvette last week (sold it in order to send my wife to nursing school), we decided to get a Cobalt. It's a fun little car - something that is definitely lacking in this particular class of automobile. We scored 0% for 36 months, so we got a good deal to boot. It's a pretty basic Cobalt LS. The only options we have on it are auto trans, cruise control, and the small spoiler on the decklid. We have a lot of little things we'd like to do to it. Tinting the windows, adding an armrest, getting keyless, putting wheels/tires on it, and installing a stereo system. First, though, we have to get the paint taken care of. The dealer delivered it with horrible water spots, swirl marks, a couple scratches, a chip in the paint, and I think the delivery detailer may have actually burned the clear coat. I digress. The following are my questions:

In searching this forum, I found a post or two indicating that keyless entry was standard on the LS package on up. On the window sticker, I didn't see anything indicating this, and as a result, we don't have any fobs. Is this accurate? Were we jipped out of the fobs? Secondly, is it true that floormats are an option and not standard? It's not a huge deal since I'm planning on putting all-weather mats in anyway, but was curious nonetheless. Finally, after only 100 miles on it, and relatively conservative driving, we're averaging 21.5MPG in the city. I assume this gets better as the engine breaks in a bit more?

Thanks in advance for all your help! I'm sure I'll be frequenting this forum in the future, and look forward to leaching off of your collective knowledge!

welcome!! to answer,

1) the ls does not come standard with ANYTHING in 2006... in 2005, the LS was the upgraded base model, in 2006 the upgraded base model is the LT
2) mats are an option.
3) you're gas mileage will go up after a few hundred miles, don't sweat it yet... give it 500-1000 miles, and you'll be up there... if i reset it on the highway, i'll get 36-40 mpg easy...
Old 08-07-2006, 10:16 AM

Awesome.

Thanks for the info! Yes, we already brought it back to the dealership. When we took delivery, I chalked it up to the detailing guys sucking (which has generally been the case when I've taken delivery of new cars). I took it home, washed it, and found that there was much more to the story. I can get the defects (outside of the chipped paint) out myself, but why should I? It's a new car and I deserve to have it perfect. I'll get them to take care of it. Apparently the "master detailer" will be in on Wednesday. I'm supposed to take it in then. We'll see what happens. As long as they get the water spots/scratches/swirl marks/chips out, I can zaino/polish it myself.

Thanks again for your help!

edit: fixed a typo