General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below
View Poll Results: For a 20% savings would you buy a lower quality china part over a USA part
Yes
6.15%
No
52.31%
Maybe. Depends on part type
49.23%
Don't care where its made as long as its cheap
3.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

China vs USA made products

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
China vs USA made products

I am curious how cobalt owners feel in general about where the parts for their cars are made. Post up your thoughts and stories please. Vote in the poll also.

Last question....We all know things can be made a lot more cheaply over there and it does affect the quality but do you think you would be able to spot the difference between a product made here and a product made there?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly some of the China and Asian steel is becoming better quality than USA. However, precision and limited quantity runs keep the quality in check here, whereas they just crank it out. My ark exhaust has seen every winter since it's installation and still looks nicer than the magnaflow after one year.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
i deal with China on a daily basis, there prices have increased a tremendous amount.

i would pay for the quality, no matter where its made.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Got Bewst?

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
It really depends what it is. ZZP's dual pass is made in China. It served me well for 2 years when I was supercharged. But I wouldn't go buy a china turbo off ebay and stick it on my car.

Larger or more complex products have more flaws, quality and fitment issues coming from China.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
I prefer American made whenever possible. Not just for quality but our economy isn't doing any better sending money to another country.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
I vote no.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would buy the same quality part for a lower price if it was made in china. if I wanted a **** part I could probably find a **** American made one as well. I don't do the buy American bullshit. this is a global economy and if we want to prove we are the best in the world we need to compete.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I voted no as well. If you get a chinese part your going to save some money yes, but your eventually going to have to replace it again and then wheres the savings? Please keep things made in the US!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Also as a business strategy, making parts made in china would be a bad idea because then your product would be the same quality as 50% of the junk on ebay, but youd have to sell a little more than what ebay sells for and where the profit in that? Anyone could just buy parts on ebay instead.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All you guys running aftermarket cheap axles...Chinese as ****. I voted maybe depending on part type.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Hockeyman
All you guys running aftermarket cheap axles...Chinese as ****. I voted maybe depending on part type.
CHINESE AS ****!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
It really depends what it is. ZZP's dual pass is made in China. It served me well for 2 years when I was supercharged. But I wouldn't go buy a china turbo off ebay and stick it on my car.

Larger or more complex products have more flaws, quality and fitment issues coming from China.
I actually just read about how one of those china endplates was bad. When you get things from china you have to really check them over.

Originally Posted by Hockeyman
All of the stage 1 axles are. The driveshaft shop stuff is not.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
As it's already been said, its a global economy. I'll buy from whoever has the best price/quality. The US most certainly is not the end all in high quality. I've had many made in the USA pieces of poo and just as many cheap Chinese quality pieces. Just gotta shop around.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor

I am really struggling to think of the products that we offer under our name that are made in china. Here's what I have so far.

Stage 1 axles
Stage 1 heat exchanger
Old 06-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by OzzyruleZ
As it's already been said, its a global economy. I'll buy from whoever has the best price/quality. The US most certainly is not the end all in high quality. I've had many made in the USA pieces of poo and just as many cheap Chinese quality pieces. Just gotta shop around.
What if you were shown something was made and designed in the USA and then bought it 6 months later from them and it was a Chinese part? Quality isn't as good, lets say 7.5 out of 10 compared to a 10 out of 10 for the USA part. Oh and it's the same price as before and you weren't told about this change of manufacturing origin.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:23 PM

what does it matter if its made in China or not ???

Chinese does not mean **** quality.

I really dont understand why it matters where the goods are manufactured ..... if its quality and cheap what is the issue ?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Josh@ottp
What if you were shown something was made and designed in the USA and then bought it 6 months later from them and it was a Chinese part? Quality isn't as good, lets say 7.5 out of 10 compared to a 10 out of 10 for the USA part. Oh and it's the same price as before and you weren't told about this change of manufacturing origin.
The big issue is ... where are you in the supply chain ??

if you are a vendor buying from a wholesaler or factory you should be notified.

if you joe schmoe buying something well tough **** i guess
Old 06-17-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Josh@ottp
That would be false advertising and that shady company would no longer get my business.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Depends on the item, if its an item that see's high stress all the time, generally I look to avoid made in china parts only because of the low quality materials and castings that generally come out of that country. I have had many things such as bolts, fittings, etc that were porous and brittle that were supposed to be high strength steel that literally broke apart in my hands. I had a made in china air compressor almost explode in my face one time when the brass fittings on the regular cracked off when attaching an air hose.

However as far as things like headers go, even things like intercoolers (cxracing) and other things that dont require as stringent material standards, ive bought plenty of those strictly because of the savings. Especially in the honda community. Custom headers can wind up costing between 800-1500 dollars in some cases, yet companys like private label mfg https://www.privatelabelmfg.com/ reproduce these headers at over half the cost with either the same quality or even BETTER some times with more parts included inthe package because of how low cost it is.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:59 PM

That would be false advertising and that shady company would no longer get my business.
Perfectly legal wording, "designed in the usa, manufactured in china". Or even if you just used "designed in the USA" and left out the china part entirely. Question is does it meet the country's compliance standards for that product. Such as ROHS for electronics, as well as other standards.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spawne32
Perfectly legal wording, "designed in the usa, manufactured in china". Or even if you just used "designed in the USA" and left out the china part entirely. Question is does it meet the country's compliance standards for that product. Such as ROHS for electronics, as well as other standards.
And that would be fine as long as that is stated in the fine print of the advertising, however if you are showing me a USA made product at a certain quality level then you sell me something made else where at much lower quality with no indication of this, its called bait and switch.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM

And that would be fine as long as that is stated in the fine print of the advertising, however if you are showing me a USA made product at a certain quality level then you sell me something made else where at much lower quality with no indication of this, its called bait and switch.
Well yeh, many people get confused by the phrasing of "designed in the usa" and often confuse that with being made in the USA, when typically thats not the case. In fact there are very few things I can think of off the top of my head other then powell yyz springs that are made in the USA. lol
Old 06-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowsupercharged06
what does it matter if its made in China or not ???

Chinese does not mean **** quality.

I really dont understand why it matters where the goods are manufactured ..... if its quality and cheap what is the issue ?
it doesnt this is just xenophobic bs. especially now that we are playing the what if game. its up to the seller to inform the buyer. if they switch suppliers and you dont let people know before you sell it to them its your fault.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kahless
it doesnt this is just xenophobic bs. especially now that we are playing the what if game.
I'm just doing some market research to see if the Cobalt owners care or even know that products are being switched up on them. If they don't care, I will bring in the same cheap parts and sell them as our budget line.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 PM

I know you've been around the forum forever you should've realized by now that 90% of owners are teenage/young 20s kids that only care about going the fastest for cheapest..most don't consider itll cost more down the road

Quick Reply: China vs USA made products