General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt 2.4 or Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blainestang
No offense, but a 2.4 with light bolt-ons *shouldn't* be beating 99-04 GT's and certainly not 05+ GT's.

I'm not saying it didn't happen... I'm saying that if you put a good driver in a 5-speed 99-04 GT, you're going to see a different result. That is, unless you're running low 14's, somehow.
It could have been a 94-95 those were 15sec cars back in their prime.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM

Let me restate that I not saying 01 on up I mean the older models lik a 99.or below
Old 07-16-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by HawkMThe
Let me restate that I not saying 01 on up I mean the older models lik a 99.or below
99s the same but I know what your saying.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:30 PM

98 and below. A non PI or 215 hp 5 liter; I can see a mid 15 second car beating a weak one.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by 04YellowGT
Yes the Shelby has like 3XXXmiles on it. I just putt around town in it and have taken it to a few local hangouts. I don’t DD my GT either so I don’t know what the whole point of your argument is. The funny thing is you act as though these are the only two cars I’ve ever drove in my whole life. Well I hate to break it to you but they are not and they aren’t the only cars I’ve raced either. I have a lot of catching up to do? Shut your mouth little boy because I’ve made more 11sec passes in 6spd cars than you ever will.

I’m still trying to get this straight, you are the bestest driver in the world but you’ve never been to the track, right? You just drive it on the street? Ok got it.

NO THE TRANSMISSION WOULD NOT FIT. Also WHY on earth would any one every do it? The GT owner never said that either dipshit. Thanks for clarifying that a transmission that can’t be used blow man, its good info to know.

You say all GTs are **** and they aren’t so whats your point? I also NEVER said that Cobalts were **** and I haven’t defended him. I’ve pointed out your stupid comments.

It doesn’t mean **** to be an SVT owner coming from someone who has owned two which were both better than a 9-01 Cobra. HAHA you don’t like buying chick cars, your car looks almost exactly like a V6 it even has the same hood that they used on the V6s from 03/04 and it’s a VERT!! Why did you buy a 99-01 if you wanted the top performance model and didn’t want to settle for second best? Should have bought a 03/04 Cobra or even a Lightning for that matter. The only thing you car has over the other Mustangs is the badge and a crappy IRS since your motor was in the 03/04 Mach 1.

Also your car is the reason why they didn’t release any 02 Cobras (In America). John Colletti was driving the 02 Cobra which was just like and 01 and it couldn’t pull away from the SVT Focus in the twisties and couldn’t pull the Lightning in the Straightaway. So he killed the program for a year and redesigned the whole car giving you what is know today as the 2003-2004 Cobra.

Don’t believe me? Read his book Iron Fist Lead Foot

There are a lot of lower class Cocky Cobras out there, like you. They think just because they got the three letters and the Snake there the ****. You know how many Cobras, 03/04s included, have talk **** to me? There attitude changes once we race and I’ve only lost to 2 which were both 04s with KBs and built motors.

The guy needs to get beat for running his mouth I agree. Say the Cobalt is a far superior car, I don’t know. It will out handle the GT any day of the week and has a way better ride and interior. Performance wise I’m going to say no just because it takes 100-150shot of nitrous or a blower on a GT and its game over.

Once again I never said the GT would dominate.

The GT would need 100-150shot to beat a Cobalt from a roll, not what I would call serious work.

OMG now the guy thts NEVER been to the track is telling people what the shoud run.
So youve made 11 sec passes in 6 speeds? Then why is it SOOOO hard for you, that you talk about how much easier it is running 11's in an auto, and how its VERY HARD running 11's on a stick. Im calling BS on ur 6 speed 11 passes. Ill bet u made those passes in someone elses car, in the passenger seat right? Or maybe u made those 11 sec passes in an xbox game? O wait I get it, u made an 11 sec 1/8mi, got it now. That makes perfect sense.

You have no idea how big it is, he thinks he knows everything... Anyways, I have not seen a SS/SC around here, not even on the dealer lots so that's not gonna happen anytime soon... I do feel bad for his Mustang though, he wants to put a Shelby engine in it and then sell it next year because he's already bored of it, he hasn't even had it for half a year yet.

The Gt owner said he was going to drop a shebly ENGINE into his GT. How the hell you going to run the engine without the tranny? Obviously this guy thinks he can just engine swap and hook the tranny up. I dont know if its possible or not considering Ive never tried, and as far as I know no one else has. Im sure with engineers, and lots of $$ you could make something. Then again this retard thinks he can go 180 mph in his bone stock GT.

I went with the 01 because, like u did with UR GT, I want to put a aftermarket SC or turbo instead of having that shitty eaton. Thats the same eaton they use in the GXP, and it SUCKS ASS. Heat soak galore. I want to do vortech or a kennbelle 2.1l.

And how is my cobra lower class? Its faster than any GT. Its equal to, if not better than any WS6, Z28 SS, or GTO, stock for stock. Hows that low class? Lets see a GT keep up with those. You bought a GT, and ur trying to call my cobra low class? LOL. As I said above, I DONT WANT THAT SHITTY EATON. Why would I pay an extra 6-7k, just so I can have a 03-04 with a crappy eaton, when I can just put that 7k into my 01? I can guarantee my 01 with 7k in mods would EAT a stock 03-04 alive. And at the end of the day, I still have a cobra.

The 03-04's were designed with one name in mind, "terminator". They were specifically coined this name because they were the end all to the competition between the SVT vs the camaro and trans am. The 03-04's are best at straightline performance, and were made to beat out its competition. In 2000 they created a cobra-R which ran 390+ HP. That car was a true track car, so Im not sure what youre getting at about the 02 cobra not being made, when they already had a decent platform to work with.

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 07-16-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM

It could have been a 94-95 those were 15sec cars back in their prime.
Originally Posted by HawkMThe
Originally Posted by BigBlue
98 and below. A non PI or 215 hp 5 liter; I can see a mid 15 second car beating a weak one.
Yeah, if we're talking NPI's or SN95 5.0's, then yeah, different story. However, none of the above had been mentioned previously in the thread, so I figured I would clarify.

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
And how is my cobra lower class? Its faster than any GT. Its equal to, if not better than any WS6, Z28 SS, or GTO, stock for stock. Hows that low class? Lets see a GT keep up with those.
As far as being faster than any GT, all else being equal, stock vs. stock, an '01 Cobra Vert isn't significantly faster than an S197 GT, if at all.

As far as being equal to or better than any F-body or GTO, quite a few LS1-body cars and LS1 GTO's have gone 12's, stock, and I don't know of any stock '01 Cobra Verts that have done that.

Don't get me wrong, an '01 Cobra Vert is a good car, but facts are facts, and LS1 F-bodies and LS2 GTO's are capable of faster in the 1/4, stock vs. stock, and an S197 GT is definitely capable of hanging with one.

The 03-04's were designed with one name in mind, "terminator". They were specifically coined this name because they were the end all to the competition between the SVT vs the camaro and trans am. The 03-04's are best at straightline performance, and were made to beat out its competition. In 2000 they created a cobra-R which ran 390+ HP. That car was a true track car, so Im not sure what youre getting at about the 02 cobra not being made, when they already had a decent platform to work with.
His point was, they didn't BUILD a 2002 Cobra... except for the left-over 2001 Cobras sold in Australia as 2002's.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:11 PM

So youve made 11 sec passes in 6 speeds? Then why is it SOOOO hard for you, that you talk about how much easier it is running 11's in an auto, and how its VERY HARD running 11's on a stick. Im calling BS on ur 6 speed 11 passes. Ill bet u made those passes in someone elses car, in the passenger seat right? Or maybe u made those 11 sec passes in an xbox game? O wait I get it, u made an 11 sec 1/8mi, got it now. That makes perfect sense.
Are you kidding me dude its cake driving an auto that’s why I run an auto plus I bracket race the car which demands consistency. A good burn out and power brake the car to 2500rpms and I 60’ low 1.7s and even got a 1.70. Running high 11s isn’t the hardest but running low 11s-high 10s isn’t as easy as you think it is. You have a car that IMO and what I’m used to being around makes **** for power (no offense). Yes its not that hard to launch a car with 300hp. It is hard launching a car making 500+rwhp yea it is even on DRs.

Call BS all you want it makes no difference to me, were they my cars no but I have drove plenty of friends cars and for them to trust me to drive their cars I must know a little something about driving.

You have no idea how big it is, he thinks he knows everything... Anyways, I have not seen a SS/SC around here, not even on the dealer lots so that's not gonna happen anytime soon... I do feel bad for his Mustang though, he wants to put a Shelby engine in it and then sell it next year because he's already bored of it, he hasn't even had it for half a year yet.

The Gt owner said he was going to drop a shebly ENGINE into his GT. How the hell you going to run the engine without the tranny? Obviously this guy thinks he can just engine swap and hook the tranny up. I dont know if its possible or not considering Ive never tried, and as far as I know no one else has. Im sure with engineers, and lots of $$ you could make something. Then again this retard thinks he can go 180 mph in his bone stock GT.
First do you really think the kid was going to do it.

Second where is he going to get the engine from? You have a VERY few places that sell GT500 crate motors and most that do, sell the whole drive-train. Plus all it would take is talking to them or just looking at the tranny to figure out **** aint gonna fit. Like I said from the beginning HOW MANY PEOPLE DO A MOTR SWAP AND LEVE THE STOCK TRANNY? If you knew anything about swaps you would know that hardly any if any do.

Quite a few people have done the GT500 swap for the motor only being out 2years. One was even in a foxbody.

This is the type **** you need to stay out of when you don’t know anything about it.

I went with the 01 because, like u did with UR GT, I want to put a aftermarket SC or turbo instead of having that shitty eaton. Thats the same eaton they use in the GXP, and it SUCKS ASS. Heat soak galore. I want to do vortech or a kennbelle 2.1l.
Once again talking about **** you know noting about. That shitty Eaton has taken Cobras into the 10s on stock motor no less. It’s not the best blower but it does its job quite well. I guess the built motor from Ford, awesome T-56 6spd, better interior, and better IRS wasn’t important.

To run 10s in your car you will need a built motor, blower with quite a bit of boost, built trans or a T-56 from an 03/04 Cobra, and you’ll have to build the **** out of the rear or swap it to a solid.

Not to mention a roll cage to even run 12s since you bought a vert.

And how is my cobra lower class? Its faster than any GT. Its equal to, if not better than any WS6, Z28 SS, or GTO, stock for stock. Hows that low class? Lets see a GT keep up with those. You bought a GT, and ur trying to call my cobra low class? LOL. As I said above, I DONT WANT THAT SHITTY EATON. Why would I pay an extra 6-7k, just so I can have a 03-04 with a crappy eaton, when I can just put that 7k into my 01? I can guarantee my 01 with 7k in mods would EAT a stock 03-04 alive. And at the end of the day, I still have a cobra.
Your Cobra is almost a drivers race with an 05+ GT and a WS6, Z28, SS, and GTO would beat your car.

I bought my GT not thinking it was something special and still don’t think it is. I don’t call other cars **** like you do.

Trust me you will have MUCH more than $7k in the car when its all said and done. **** breaks and needs upgraded. Your car wasn’t made for a blower and in turn your stock parts will wear out or break. Plus a 03/04 Cobra will need will need $2k worth of work and hand you your ass again and still be way more reliable and a better all around car.

Take it from somebody that has been through it all.

I guess you need to get the blower on then because as of right now an 03/04 will walk you. Everybody has “plans” but hardly anyone ever follows through with it.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Yeah, if we're talking NPI's or SN95 5.0's, then yeah, different story. However, none of the above had been mentioned previously in the thread, so I figured I would clarify.

As far as being faster than any GT, all else being equal, stock vs. stock, an '01 Cobra Vert isn't significantly faster than an S197 GT, if at all.

As far as being equal to or better than any F-body or GTO, quite a few LS1-body cars and LS1 GTO's have gone 12's, stock, and I don't know of any stock '01 Cobra Verts that have done that.

Don't get me wrong, an '01 Cobra Vert is a good car, but facts are facts, and LS1 F-bodies and LS2 GTO's are capable of faster in the 1/4, stock vs. stock, and an S197 GT is definitely capable of hanging with one.

His point was, they didn't BUILD a 2002 Cobra... except for the left-over 2001 Cobras sold in Australia as 2002's.
Those 02's sold in australia were hideous.

Why is everyone so hell bent on the 'vert' aspect of the car? It weighs 3400 lbs, and a Gt COUPE weighs 3237. Ok, thats a 170 lb difference. I gutted out my trunk. Thats probly good for about 25 lbs. Now were down to 145 lbs difference. I weigh about 170 lbs. I personally am not heavy and I know a lot of people weigh more than me. Id say the average male weighs somewhere between 185-200. Ok so thats another 15-30 lb difference. NTM, I will be removing the back seats, those are supposed to weigh about 20 lbs. So I dunno, 170-45 = 125 - 15 through 30 = 110 to 95. I mean, sure not everyone weighs, but Im not a heavy guy so Im assuming in most cases I will have a little weight advantage in my favor.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM

What website did you pull that off of?

They made only 300 Cobra Rs they weren't a full production car. My point was the 99-01 wasn't really an awesome performer. It didn't do anything better than the other SVT Models so they redesigned the whole Cobra idea. The Lighting would hang right with it in a straight-line and the SVT Focus was on its tail in the corners. You said you wanted the top performance model so you bought a car that handles like a Focus and is a fast as a 4000lb truck. LOL

The Top Performance Model from Ford has been and continues to be the 03/04 Cobra and the Shelby aint to bad either.

Those 02's sold in australia were hideous.

Why is everyone so hell bent on the 'vert' aspect of the car? It weighs 3400 lbs, and a Gt COUPE weighs 3237. Ok, thats a 170 lb difference. I gutted out my trunk. Thats probly good for about 25 lbs. Now were down to 145 lbs difference. I weigh about 170 lbs. I personally am not heavy and I know a lot of people weigh more than me. Id say the average male weighs somewhere between 185-200. Ok so thats another 15-30 lb difference. NTM, I will be removing the back seats, those are supposed to weigh about 20 lbs. So I dunno, 170-45 = 125 - 15 through 30 = 110 to 95. I mean, sure not everyone weighs, but Im not a heavy guy so Im assuming in most cases I will have a little weight advantage in my favor.
HAHA they were the same car you have other than they had two more fog lights.

The reason Verts hurt you not only in weight but also suspension. Verts are horrible for drag racing they don’t have good weight transfer and the whole body is weaker do to no roof.

Last edited by 04YellowGT; 07-16-2008 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-16-2008, 03:25 PM

Are you kidding me dude its cake driving an auto that’s why I run an auto plus I bracket race the car which demands consistency. A good burn out and power brake the car to 2500rpms and I 60’ low 1.7s and even got a 1.70. Running high 11s isn’t the hardest but running low 11s-high 10s isn’t as easy as you think it is. You have a car that IMO and what I’m used to being around makes **** for power (no offense). Yes its not that hard to launch a car with 300hp. It is hard launching a car making 500+rwhp yea it is even on DRs.

Call BS all you want it makes no difference to me, were they my cars no but I have drove plenty of friends cars and for them to trust me to drive their cars I must know a little something about driving.

First do you really think the kid was going to do it.

Second where is he going to get the engine from? You have a VERY few places that sell GT500 crate motors and most that do, sell the whole drive-train. Plus all it would take is talking to them or just looking at the tranny to figure out **** aint gonna fit. Like I said from the beginning HOW MANY PEOPLE DO A MOTR SWAP AND LEVE THE STOCK TRANNY? If you knew anything about swaps you would know that hardly any if any do.

Quite a few people have done the GT500 swap for the motor only being out 2years. One was even in a foxbody.

This is the type **** you need to stay out of when you don’t know anything about it.

Once again talking about **** you know noting about. That shitty Eaton has taken Cobras into the 10s on stock motor no less. It’s not the best blower but it does its job quite well. I guess the built motor from Ford, awesome T-56 6spd, better interior, and better IRS wasn’t important.

To run 10s in your car you will need a built motor, blower with quite a bit of boost, built trans or a T-56 from an 03/04 Cobra, and you’ll have to build the **** out of the rear or swap it to a solid.

Not to mention a roll cage to even run 12s since you bought a vert.

Your Cobra is almost a drivers race with an 05+ GT and a WS6, Z28, SS, and GTO would beat your car.

I bought my GT not thinking it was something special and still don’t think it is. I don’t call other cars **** like you do.

Trust me you will have MUCH more than $7k in the car when its all said and done. **** breaks and needs upgraded. Your car wasn’t made for a blower and in turn your stock parts will wear out or break. Plus a 03/04 Cobra will need will need $2k worth of work and hand you your ass again and still be way more reliable and a better all around car.

Take it from somebody that has been through it all.

I guess you need to get the blower on then because as of right now an 03/04 will walk you. Everybody has “plans” but hardly anyone ever follows through with it.
Im not going to do the blower yet, and I want to do a blower + N20 setup so I dont have to run huge HP numbers with the blower alone.

I will be doing a 100 shot by Sept, then building it up from there. I want to make 500 horses from the blower, and another 100-150 from the N20.

The blower is going to cost an arm and a leg, so I will probly go with the vortech because its cheaper. I wont be getting that till next year, possibly.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 PM

Im not going to do the blower yet, and I want to do a blower + N20 setup so I dont have to run huge HP numbers with the blower alone.

I will be doing a 100 shot by Sept, then building it up from there. I want to make 500 horses from the blower, and another 100-150 from the N20.

The blower is going to cost an arm and a leg, so I will probly go with the vortech because its cheaper. I wont be getting that till next year, possibly.
Better plan on building the motor. That would be the fist thing I would do if I could do it over again.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM

Better plan on building the motor. That would be the fist thing I would do if I could do it over again.
I know some 01's running in the 400 hp range on stock internals with SC's. I dont know if theyre ticking time bombs or not. I also saw that some of the SC kits for the 01 can run on stock internals, but you can only boost about 9 psi with them.

Im not going to take the chance though, so Im going to put in a set of rods and pistons prior to the SC. I know the teksid block is pretty decent, so Im thinking pistons and rods should get me to 500 horses safely. Dont know what Im going to do with the tranny though...
Old 07-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
99-00 has 240hp........then 01-04 260hp
Old 07-16-2008, 03:57 PM

With gas prices going the way they are I say go with the Cobalt 2.4L. The GT Mustang is slow as **** anyways for a V8 engined car...if you get a V8 car get a Cobra, Camaro, or something that's actually fast.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:25 PM

I know some 01's running in the 400 hp range on stock internals with SC's. I dont know if theyre ticking time bombs or not. I also saw that some of the SC kits for the 01 can run on stock internals, but you can only boost about 9 psi with them.

Im not going to take the chance though, so Im going to put in a set of rods and pistons prior to the SC. I know the teksid block is pretty decent, so Im thinking pistons and rods should get me to 500 horses safely. Dont know what Im going to do with the tranny though...
I take it you confirmed that you have a Teksid?

The WAP block should be fine, too, for 500hp... but the Teksid gets all the fanfare.

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
99-04 GT's all have 260hp.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackBalt
With gas prices going the way they are I say go with the Cobalt 2.4L. The GT Mustang is slow as **** anyways for a V8 engined car...if you get a V8 car get a Cobra, Camaro, or something that's actually fast.
Hahaha, you make me giggle. 5.1 second 0-60 is slow these days?

And I average 21 mpg on my car.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:08 PM

I take it you confirmed that you have a Teksid?

The WAP block should be fine, too, for 500hp... but the Teksid gets all the fanfare.

99-04 GT's all have 260hp.

its a teksid . Glad too, especially after reading the WAP blocks were biting the dust.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM

You can run 450rwhp just like the GTs, you have the same internals as a GT does. As for boost anywhere from 8-10lbs is the same limit and you can run 10-12 with a good intercooler set up.

You'll want to do crank, rods, and pistons and almost anyforged set will be safe for 500rwhp. My shortblock is rated at 750-800rwhp.

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
Wrong all 99-04 GTs are 260.

Originally Posted by BlackBalt
Yea especially when comparing it to a 2.4L Cobalt.

Obvioulsy its not the fastest car out but the motor is almost 10 years old actually 15 if you count the NPI days. The best part is you can throw a $500 nitrous kit on it and run 12s all day long with it. Can a 2.4 Cobalt do that?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM

You can run 450rwhp just like the GTs, you have the same internals as a GT does. As for boost anywhere from 8-10lbs is the same limit and you can run 10-12 with a good intercooler set up.

You'll want to do crank, rods, and pistons and almost anyforged set will be safe for 500rwhp. My shortblock is rated at 750-800rwhp.

Wrong all 99-04 GTs are 260.

Yea especially when comparing it to a 2.4L Cobalt.

Obvioulsy its not the fastest car out but the motor is almost 10 years old actually 15 if you count the NPI days. The best part is you can throw a $500 nitrous kit on it and run 12s all day long with it. Can a 2.4 Cobalt do that?
what about the 4v, how long has that been around? It isnt exactly the same as the GT engine is it?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM

what about the 4v, how long has that been around? It isnt exactly the same as the GT engine is it?
The 4V dates back to the Lincoln Mark VIII, which came out in 1993.

I'm not a 4.6 expert by any means, but I believe the Cobras (and 5-speed Machs) came with 8-bolt Forged crank. SOME GT's may have 8-bolt cranks as well, but they are not forged.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:25 PM

The Gt will get crushed. I know how fast they were compared to my SS/SC, and I can tell you I would put AT LEAST a bus length on them in my SS. The cobra is a little stonger in the top end than my SC, so the GT would get beaten even more so.

The GT is a DOG from a roll and on the highway. It wouldnt even come close to keeping up with me, so I dont know where u get this info from.

And how is a auto more reliable at the track? Unless you suck at driving, you should be able to net similar times with a stick, and better times than an auto. Unless you have a turbo setup, how is that auto better?

You have no right to lecture me on the track when ur TRACK CAR IS AN AUTO. Give me a break. You know who else drives auto mustangs? Women. Especially mustang GT's. Thats all you see is older women, and old people driving those.

And BTW, I got the 01 Cobra for the same reason you did. 16,000 + 6000 ( SC kit ) = a cobra much faster than a stock 03-04 which costs ( 22-23k ). Obviously if I can afford a SS/SC for 24k, I can afford to get an 03-04 cobra.

That suspension comment was in regards to the SS/SC
I don't know what you guys are arguing about. A stock 2001 SVT Cobra will run 13.5-13.6 @103-105 mph......A stock 99-04 GT will run 14.0-14.3 (5 speed) @ 98-99 mph........I've seen these cars several times at an actual drag strip with my own eyes. Let's stop the BSing here and get into reality. A stock SS/SC will not stomp a 99-04 GT by any means.....they run almost exactly the same 1/4 mile times.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 PM

1badss/sc you do realize that a 99/01 Cobra VERT is really not any faster than a coupe 99-04 GT, right?

You do also realize that almost anyone who goes REALLY fast (9 second 1/4 or faster) pretty much all run automatics...mostly with shift kits....that you DO ACTUALLY HAVE TO SHIFT....right?

There is a local black vert 99 cobra that i walk all over at the track with me on motor. Both of us on track tires.

Originally Posted by maverick0716
I don't know what you guys are arguing about. A stock 2001 SVT Cobra will run 13.5-13.6 @103-105 mph......A stock 99-04 GT will run 14.0-14.3 (5 speed) @ 98-99 mph........I've seen these cars several times at an actual drag strip with my own eyes. Let's stop the BSing here and get into reality. A stock SS/SC will not stomp a 99-04 GT by any means.....they run almost exactly the same 1/4 mile times.
yeah but 1bad has a convertible......so add several hundred lbs and he doesnt run any faster than a coupe 99-04 GT. Sorry to burst his big bubble.

The best part is you can throw a $500 nitrous kit on it and run 12s all day long with it. Can a 2.4 Cobalt do that?

Aint is beautiful?

Last edited by BolognaPony; 07-16-2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by BolognaPony
1badss/sc you do realize that a 99/01 Cobra VERT is really not any faster than a coupe 99-04 GT, right?

You do also realize that almost anyone who goes REALLY fast (9 second 1/4 or faster) pretty much all run automatics...mostly with shift kits....that you DO ACTUALLY HAVE TO SHIFT....right?

There is a local black vert 99 cobra that i walk all over at the track with me on motor. Both of us on track tires.

yeah but 1bad has a convertible......so add several hundred lbs and he doesnt run any faster than a coupe 99-04 GT. Sorry to burst his big bubble.

Aint is beautiful?
Vert adds around 170-200 lbs vs the GT ( not several hundred ). Take out the seats, strip the trunk. Have a light weight driver like myself. So what, maybe a 50-60 lbs loss from taking out all that crap. So a little over 100 lbs heavier, big deal.

Hell if you want to get technical, a GT with an Auto tranny loses the weight advantage because I have a stick.

The 99's make less power than the 01's. The 99 was changed in the 01's to make the claimed 320 HP and 317 ft/lbs. Ford replaced the intake manifold, exhaust and computer components to make the claimed power. The 99's ran a 13.8 when tested. The 01's ran a 13.5 when tested. 01's are a little quicker .

NTM, I know a stock GT wont hang with a stage 2 full bolt on SS in a roll. I did when I was basically stock. We were dead even from 40 mph on up.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Opi

I'd just like to state for the record.

When it comes to actual, professional drag racing, auto > stick

That is all
Old 07-17-2008, 03:16 PM

Vert adds around 170-200 lbs vs the GT ( not several hundred ). Take out the seats, strip the trunk. Have a light weight driver like myself. So what, maybe a 50-60 lbs loss from taking out all that crap. So a little over 100 lbs heavier, big deal.

Hell if you want to get technical, a GT with an Auto tranny loses the weight advantage because I have a stick.

The 99's make less power than the 01's. The 99 was changed in the 01's to make the claimed 320 HP and 317 ft/lbs. Ford replaced the intake manifold, exhaust and computer components to make the claimed power. The 99's ran a 13.8 when tested. The 01's ran a 13.5 when tested. 01's are a little quicker .

NTM, I know a stock GT wont hang with a stage 2 full bolt on SS in a roll. I did when I was basically stock. We were dead even from 40 mph on up.

I checked last night and dude has an 01, sorry. Thought it was a 99.

and from what i understand not ALL of the 99s didnt meet the 320 mark.

Afterall, the 96-98s made 320 and none of those ever seemed to be down on power.

Quick Reply: Cobalt 2.4 or Mustang GT?