General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

cobalt might be totalled

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cobalt might be totalled

I was attempting to cross an intersection in a residential area that had no stop signs or yield signs. I slowed down and looked both ways. Then i proceeded to cross then my wife screamed. I saw a 350z coming on the right. Extremely fast. I turned my wheel left and hit the brake. He slammed into my right front fender. Dragging my car about 25-30 ft to the other side of the intersection. He got out yelling in my face. His bumper was cracked and headlight was scuffed. My fender was bent under the hood. My wheel was jammed practically into the engine bay. My axle was snapped,my wheel was barely holding on to anything. My rotors were bent. Clutch was burnt, trans fluid everywhere and gear oil, and coolant. Pass door hardly opens. Check engine light came on. Engine is squealing. Had to tow it with a friends trailer. Guy has a bad record of accidents too. The same 350z was trying to race me like 10 min before but i ignored him by driving into the residential area. Cops gave him a ticket. But also gave me one saying i failed to yield? He smashed into me when i was already almost through. He was clearly speeding and not paying attention. Im getting an attorney. I think the car might be totalled. It will never drive the same
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
damn dude, you have any pics?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:10 PM

pix or it never happened
Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
So unless you can prove he was speeding, I read it as your fault. Did i read wrong?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:23 PM

some will say you took away his right away but i also had a similar situation and they could say he was going to fast. more than likely it will be ruled a no fault and you both pay your own ****.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Why would you have stopped just to get hit? If you saw him coming so fast at you why didn't just speed up and get out of the way? I mean I'm sorry this happened to you, but it sounds like it could have been avoided.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Pics soon. I hit the brake and turned cause if i didnt he would have smashed my wifes door. I live in washington state and it was raining alittle so the streets were wet. If i would have hit the gas i wouldnt have went anywhere and he still would have smashed my wifes door. I was almost completely through the intersection. he was speedin. If he was going the speed limit he wouldnt have dragged my car across the intersection. He didnt even brake or anything. I have a bright yellow car and he didnt see me crossing? Sounds like he was texting or something.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the investigators will see if that guy attempted to stop (black marks in the road from the tires, etc). They're probably decent at what they do. Nobody knows what happened except for the OP. Honestly, it sounds like a complete failure to yield. You could've just waited. ANYHOW, glad you guys made it out alive. The car can be replaced. After something traumatic like that, though, you guys definitely didn't deserve some ******* giving you ****.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by rcsrracing15
Pics soon. I hit the brake and turned cause if i didnt he would have smashed my wifes door. I live in washington state and it was raining alittle so the streets were wet. If i would have hit the gas i wouldnt have went anywhere and he still would have smashed my wifes door. I was almost completely through the intersection. he was speedin. If he was going the speed limit he wouldnt have dragged my car across the intersection. He didnt even brake or anything. I have a bright yellow car and he didnt see me crossing? Sounds like he was texting or something.
So what your tires don't get traction? Like at all? Even when your car was already moving? Plus he hit your front bumper? Sound like failure to yield to me. Because if it would have been totally his fault and he wasn't paying attention I would think he would have hit your back bumper or something?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 PM

It's your word against his. Even if he was speeding you didn't yield. Pretty cut and dry really. Sucks I am sure but have to accept responsibility at some point for a bonehead move.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:01 PM

We had to pull the fender back out to remove the wheel this is how it sits after that. The other pics are on my camera.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM

He has a bad record of accidents and speeding tickets. I have nothing but this on my record now. Plus there was people that saw the accident but they called the cops cause he tried to fight me. So the cops wouldnt let us get statements from them. So Its a messed up situation. I have gap insurance though so if its totalled thats a plus.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM

He has a bad record of accidents and speeding tickets. I have nothing but this on my record now. Plus there was people that saw the accident but they called the cops cause he tried to fight me. So the cops wouldnt let us get statements from them. So Its a messed up situation. I have gap insurance though so if its totalled thats a plus.
that really does suck.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read this as your fault as well. But its good to know you are ok, and its new car time! :=)

Also sucks the guy was such an ass, any time someone has ran into me I barely care at all. Because it doesn't matter to me.. its just a car *shrugs*

Last edited by cranemaster; 12-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
....if you looked left and right how could you not see(or hear) the 350 coming? Unless you really weren't paying attention there is no way in hell that 350 could have come from "nowhere" so I'm trying to figure out why you didn't wait for him to pass.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM

He was trying to race me Pryor to the accident but i drove into a residential area to avoid him. it was night time and he had a black car. I was almost completely through the intersection when he drove into me. So since its his right away he doesnt have to brake if he sees a car in front of him? The speed limit was 15 if he was going the speed limit i would have been long gone through the intersection. He hit us and dragged us 25-30 ft.he had to of been going twice the speed limit at least. Ile admit i should have looked harder but he was speeding and not paying attention. He didnt hit the brakes at all. He drove straight through me.i was going like 6 mph or so cause there was people around.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM

He was trying to race me Pryor to the accident but i drove into a residential area to avoid him. it was night time and he had a black car. I was almost completely through the intersection when he drove into me. So since its his right away he doesnt have to brake if he sees a car in front of him? The speed limit was 15 if he was going the speed limit i would have been long gone through the intersection. He hit us and dragged us 25-30 ft.he had to of been going twice the speed limit at least. Ile admit i should have looked harder but he was speeding and not paying attention. He didnt hit the brakes at all. He drove straight through me.i was going like 6 mph or so cause there was people around.
Nope doesn't have to brake at all. If you knew some physics you could get a pretty good estimate of his speed. 1 body in motion turning into 2 bodies and coming to a stop.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
You sound like your trying to pin the accident completely on him when you are at fault as well.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:02 PM

I know i should have looked better so this is partially my fault but it doesnt help the fact that he was trying to race me by being reckless.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Plus its not incumbant for me to ensure my safe passage into and through the intersection from dangers of a speeding car that was obviously well beyond my range of reasonable view.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM

sorry man, glad you guys are ok

in MA if you are pulling into another street, its your fault. you were BOTH cited, what was he cited for? Failure to Yield pretty much puts you at fault. hope for the best and maybe they will find it 50/50. but dont hold your breath.

and IMO you couldn't have been almost all the way through the intersection and he only clipped your front tire/bumper, he would've had to be on the curb. sounds like you were just past halfway through when you saw him and slammed on the brakes.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 PM

I see no pics... And you had to hit the brakes to avoid him hitting your wifes door but he hit the front fender/wheel? That sounds like your fault to me man. How would hitting the brakes make him go from possibly hitting the door to the front fender? or am i reading this wrong? Glad your ok but im either not reading this logically or you were not thinking clearly!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 PM

If you said the cops gave him a ticket for speeding, then the proof that he was going too fast is right there, you should be on the right because the ticket that he was given is a proof that he was wrong
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM

^ except he got the ticket for failure to yield.

this is why i said hope for a 50/50 fault. i think thats the best you will get.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
village idiot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thedubsack85
I see no pics... And you had to hit the brakes to avoid him hitting your wifes door but he hit the front fender/wheel? That sounds like your fault to me man. How would hitting the brakes make him go from possibly hitting the door to the front fender? or am i reading this wrong? Glad your ok but im either not reading this logically or you were not thinking clearly!
It sounds like OP was going through the intersection backwards.

I'm confused about the part about not being able to see the other car because it was black, in the rain and at night. Headlights?

Also a little confused about the guy trying to street race the OP.... So OP and 350Z guy are driving down a road. It's likely to be a major road because it's at least two lanes. 350Z guy tries to race OP. OP turns into a neighborhood to avoid 350Z guy. Then OP is driving in the neighborhood and is hit by 350Z guy. Did the 350Z guy see the OP turn into the neighborhood and then follow suit????

This whole story is just weird.

OP.... Put your wife on the computer and let her explain what really happened.

Also.....

Quick Reply: cobalt might be totalled