General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt SS VS. SRT4 in Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raven
ITR = 195/55R15
SpecV = 215/45R17
SRT-4 = 205/50R17
all within 10mm
on street tires and R-Tune parts, i can pull .96g. but that's not the point. here is the point

SRT-4: faster, handles almost as good, OEM neon interior
Cobalt SS/SC: slower, out handles, better quality interior. THAT is why the cobalt cost more. more money sunk in it.
A 195/55/15 has a larger contact patch than a 205/50/17. A 215/45/17, also. They may very well be within 10mm, however that can make a huge difference in the road holding characteristics of the car. Note the ELWSRT has 225/45/17 just 10mm wider than the SPECV wheel. Also sitting on a 8" wheel as opposed to the 6" that comes on the SRT stock. And whats the deal with the "OEM Neon" interior. It's par for the course. The only interior that is really nice is the MSP out of all the Sporty compacts, but we all know how laughable that stock engine is. The handling though is great, just never ever ever want to mod it. Is too sensitive.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MikeSS
Haha Amen to that!

And yeah, SS and SRT owners are gunna have to start a bit of a rivalry, they are the only cars out there that will be even close to each other. I can't wait for my first 17 year old (no offence to 17 years olds on this site, you know good cars) in his Civic with a big fart can that tries to race me at the track

Ford needs to bring back the Tempo. 2006 Tempo SVT GT

Yeah, welcome to the party and be careful because many 17 year olds can't drive. I hate civics.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by YSRT4
Yeah, welcome to the party and be careful because many 17 year olds can't drive. I hate civics.
Yeah welcome everyone to the party..can;t wait to see my first cobalt..this will be fun to see one run..
Old 04-05-2005, 03:53 PM

Again, competition is a good thing! I can't wait till and srt-4 rolls up to mine after I install upgrades IMMEDIATELY after recieving the car. My dad is sales manager for GM accessories and we're are ordering parts out of the GMPerformance parts catolog, as well as reflashing the car, etc. His friend is very knowledgeable and involved with the ecotec racing program. (The ecotec is the best motor in pro FWD drag racing)

He told me to expect around 280 HP once he installs the parts. Once I get the car and get the parts installed I'll take pics, then dyno the car after the mods are done.

The wing will also be off of the car 10 minutes after purchase, with Rksports low profile wing ready to go on.

Again it's not what you drive but how you build it damnit!
Old 04-05-2005, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by DomesticDemonSS
Again, competition is a good thing! I can't wait till and srt-4 rolls up to mine after I install upgrades IMMEDIATELY after recieving the car. My dad is sales manager for GM accessories and we're are ordering parts out of the GMPerformance parts catolog, as well as reflashing the car, etc. His friend is very knowledgeable and involved with the ecotec racing program. (The ecotec is the best motor in pro FWD drag racing)

He told me to expect around 280 HP once he installs the parts. Once I get the car and get the parts installed I'll take pics, then dyno the car after the mods are done.

The wing will also be off of the car 10 minutes after purchase, with Rksports low profile wing ready to go on.

Uhm, just as a suggestion, you may want to put about 2k miles on the car before adding anything performance related. Always a good idea to break the engine in before running the **** out of it
Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 PM

Hey I also heard the Super Charger is at max boost is this true? Also ask your dad why didn't Chevy put in the 2.2L vis the 2.0L..that would have been WAAAAYYYY better...
Old 04-05-2005, 04:19 PM

only one thing to worry about now.... actually finding an srt-4 thats STILL stock. cuz i know if u rolled up to me, this is what ur gonna look like ~~~~~>
Old 04-05-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by SRTOwnesU
Hey I also heard the Super Charger is at max boost is this true? Also ask your dad why didn't Chevy put in the 2.2L vis the 2.0L..that would have been WAAAAYYYY better...
We have a whole thread on this, smaller enigine has better stroke, revving characteristics and it is also more dependable being a smaller motor.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SRTOwnesU
The Cobalt is nice but I'm sorry to say that it will never out run an SRT-4 Stock for Stock.
once again
here is the point

Cobalt SS/SC: slower, out handles, higher end interior

the interior of the cobalt and the size of the car, 18"wheels are the reasons the cobalt cost more
Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Raven
once again
here is the point

Cobalt SS/SC: slower, out handles, higher end interior

the interior of the cobalt and the size of the car, 18"wheels are the reasons the cobalt cost more
I like the interior of my srt-4 a lot better than the cobalt as a matter of fact. speaking of which, when that insane handling that the cobalt has starts throwing you around the car then u can start bashing the srt-4 interior. all the while im gonna be laughing @ u from my viper inspired seats. <<< and everyone said the srt-4 people were stuck up.

as for the size of the car, my friend r gonna b laughing at your friends when they have to wait for u to get out and fold ur seat down to get in the back. bigger, but a usless kind of bigger.

P.S. on a side note i ran 13.8 @ 101 bone stock in my srt-4.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:15 PM

oh yes another thought just struck me, ur gonna have an ugly lookin blank spot in you're dash when u decide to upgrade you're headunit.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by kotu100
oh yes another thought just struck me, ur gonna have an ugly lookin blank spot in you're dash when u decide to upgrade you're headunit.

I don't think they make a 20 din head unit.

Is that a vinyl shift boot? Oh and on a comical side note, don't use certain cleaners on that painted plastic interior. The paint may come off
Old 04-05-2005, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vooduguru
I don't think they make a 20 din head unit.
No, but they do make a 2 din unit. The space underneath is also 1 din, so with a little customization I could imagine some crazy stuff. Can we also say "Factory Nav System" in a couple years?

GM's showing a little bit of progressiveness in their old age.

-Villain
Old 04-05-2005, 06:14 PM

In that interior pic: what is that white thing in the bottom corner?
Aso is that the stock pioneer round in the door or is this a modified cobalt?
Old 04-05-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by BlueVillain
No, but they do make a 2 din unit. The space underneath is also 1 din, so with a little customization I could imagine some crazy stuff. Can we also say "Factory Nav System" in a couple years?

GM's showing a little bit of progressiveness in their old age.

-Villain
My sarcasm got the better of me
Old 04-05-2005, 06:24 PM

honestly......i really dont see too much to make me think the cobalt has any better interior than the srt-4, thats just like vw owners saying they have the nicest interiors of all cars.......vw interiors look like ass imho. anyways if you want to talk interiors, lets talk BMW, Mercedes, aston martin, bentley, rr, ect. our econoboxes are always going to have cheep ass interiors.......end of story. ps: viper seats would be a good upgrade for you cobalt guys. i will give you one thing, i wish the srt-4 was a 2 door.....but hey i'll take what were given
Old 04-05-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by viperinadiaper
honestly......i really dont see too much to make me think the cobalt has any better interior than the srt-4, thats just like vw owners saying they have the nicest interiors of all cars.......vw interiors look like ass imho. anyways if you want to talk interiors, lets talk BMW, Mercedes, aston martin, bentley, rr, ect. our econoboxes are always going to have cheep ass interiors.......end of story. ps: viper seats would be a good upgrade for you cobalt guys. i will give you one thing, i wish the srt-4 was a 2 door.....but hey i'll take what we're given
You can't knock either the Cobalt or Neons interior unless of course you want to take into consideration percentages of plastic to one another. The Cobalt has a nicer "woven" headliner kind of like what the Dodge Magnum has. So yes, congratulations the Cobalt has a better headliner. As far as drive concerns, I haven't driven an SC yet, I think I'll take a peek at one when I go home that is, unless the local dealers don't have any. I will say this, Chevy has a MUCH better advertising campaign for the Cobalt SS. But considering with hardly NO advertising for the 2003-2004 m/y they nearly sold out of all of them, not too shabby for a somewhat non-existant advertising campaign.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 PM

Again it's all how you build your car.

PERSONALLY (very important ) It's an easy choice to pick over the two for me. The cobalt has the better potential motor, and chassis. The build quality is better, and the thing has better body lines. I have nothing against dodge, the new magnum, srt-4s, new charger are all nice cars.

BUT ALTHOUGH FAST THE DODGE NEON LOOKS LIKE AN EGG!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:31 PM

Again it's all how you build your car.

PERSONALLY (very important ) It's an easy choice to pick over the two for me. The cobalt has the better potential motor, and chassis. The build quality is better, and the thing has better body lines. I have nothing against dodge, the new magnum, srt-4s, new charger are all nice cars.

BUT ALTHOUGH FAST THE DODGE NEON LOOKS LIKE AN EGG!
better potential motor huh? i'd love to see a cobalt push out 400+ hp on the stock internals on pump gas, and 500+ on race gas. as for the egg comment, i'd say the civic hatch looks more like an egg. besides a comment like this coming from some who ordered a car that looks like its just been rearended doesnt phase me at all.... try again.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 PM

better potential motor huh? i'd love to see a cobalt push out 400+ hp on the stock internals on pump gas, and 500+ on race gas. as for the egg comment, i'd say the civic hatch looks more like an egg. besides a comment like this coming from some who ordered a car that looks like its just been rearended doesnt phase me at all.... try again.
i guess you dont know what the ecotec can handle on stock internals, but as much if not more than that, read up on the motor
Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 PM

I like the interior of my srt-4 a lot better than the cobalt as a matter of fact.
i can second that one. i love the interior of the srt. i sat in the ss s/c at the auto show and was like but yes, its all an opinion. and i just couldnt see myself being happy with the ss

one thing ive wondered about the ss/redline area..they have the STS in them, but what are they being compared to? what 'normal' shift? because i plan on getting the perrin sts for my srt, which can reduce the throw anywehre from 1% - 50% less then stock. just curious how short of a throw the redline/ss 's actually are??

and after looking over the ss s/c it kinda looks like a revamped civic to me

(please give me a second while i go get my flame resistant coveralls, cause i know its commin. )
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by johnkb8
i guess you dont know what the ecotec can handle on stock internals, but as much if not more than that, read up on the motor
Could you provide some links that AREN'T pro circuit (NHRA/GM backed)? Show an average Ecotec with bolt ons pushing 500whp on STOCK internals, meaning, crank, pistons, rods, etc. I can provide plenty on the SRT. So make your case It's all in good fun, so don't get bent out of shape
Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 PM

I like the interior of my srt-4 a lot better than the cobalt as a matter of fact.
Wow. I don't get how you guys like the interior of the SRT-4 better than the cobalt. I think if you didn't already own one and were at a neutral stance you would think different. When i sat in the SRT-4 I absolutely hated it. It reminded me of my dad's PT Cruiser, but looked worse.

On a side note, I want to take out the stock radio and try to fit a mini-mac in there with a touch LCD screen. That would absolutely own. I was reading a magazine about the possibility of putting mini-mac's in cars. You could have all your music on there, and even look at performance from the engine on the LCD with a clever program. and for only $499 for the mac and a couple hundred more for the LCD, that would be one kickass radio once it's all done.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:13 PM

the srt4 has terrrrible build quality, ill take well designed plastic anyday
srt4's interior looks like it came from the old neons...which it did
...and its still a neon
Old 04-05-2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by tiny
the srt4 has terrrrible build quality, ill take well designed plastic anyday
srt4's interior looks like it came from the old neons...which it did
...and its still a neon
I don't like where this thread is going. Poking fun at a neon when your engine came from a cavalier.

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS VS. SRT4 in Motor Trend