General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt SS VS. SRT4 in Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SRTOwnesU
Listen Peeps, I would trade in my SRT-4 if the cobalt came with the 2.4L Ecotec and putting out more HP than the SRT-4....I'm all about the bang for the buck..
The Cobalt SS with the 2.4L won't be out until 2006 model year and it will be ~170HP and won't be forced induction.

Isn't the reason many manufactures keep it to 2.0L is because thats a hard limit on displacement for some racing leagues?

Like Supersport can't be more than 599CC and Superbike can't be more than 999CC.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zinner
The Cobalt SS with the 2.4L won't be out until 2006 model year and it will be ~170HP and won't be forced induction.

Isn't the reason many manufactures keep it to 2.0L is because thats a hard limit on displacement for some racing leagues?

Like Supersport can't be more than 599CC and Superbike can't be more than 999CC.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. It just depends. I may have more to do with how the 2.0 sits in the engine bay vs the 2.4. Adding a roots charger to the top may have required some changing to how the engine is but that's just a marginally educated guess. The original SRT-4 was going to be a supercharged 2.0 but then PVO said why not use the turbo 2.4 that's already in production and already proven? They did, and strengthened the hell out of it. And oila! There ya go. PVO saved quite a bit in R&D. Remember DCx didn't really want to do the SRT but PVO finished early and under budget, and so it turned a quick profit. So DCx was on board.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:40 PM

To all those that believe that the cobalt SS only puts out 205 HP you are sadly mistaken...i talked to a GM rep from the factory in lordstown OH where they are produced and he told me chevy only said 205 HP to cut down on insurance cost and to make all the other competition such as someone with and SRT4 think that it only has 205 and they will blow them off the line, sorry but chevy is smarter than that, so the competition thinks they have the advantage when they really dont have any ...the rep said that the cobalt SS is puttin out at least if not more HP than what the SRT4 is. So this is for anyone to read who thinks a stock cobalt SS cant keep up with a stock SRT4.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
To all those that believe that the cobalt SS only puts out 205 HP you are sadly mistaken...i talked to a GM rep from the factory in lordstown OH where they are produced and he told me chevy only said 205 HP to cut down on insurance cost and to make all the other competition such as someone with and SRT4 think that it only has 205 and they will blow them off the line, sorry but chevy is smarter than that, so the competition thinks they have the advantage when they really dont have any ...the rep said that the cobalt SS is puttin out at least if not more HP than what the SRT4 is. So this is for anyone to read who thinks a stock cobalt SS cant keep up with a stock SRT4.
Oh you mean that same way Dodge said it only had 215Hp but when Car and Driver Dynoed it it had WAAAYY more HP being put out..
Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by SRTOwnesU
Oh you mean that same way Dodge said it only had 215Hp but when Car and Driver Dynoed it it had WAAAYY more HP being put out..

Does anyone have any real world dyno sheets from the SS/SC?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Vooduguru
Does anyone have any real world dyno sheets from the SS/SC?

I am working on it. I have never had anything dyno'd before so I am checking with some friends to find a good place in the DC area to get it done. If/when I get it dyno'd I will post it , unless it's not flattering then I won't
Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
I am working on it. I have never had anything dyno'd before so I am checking with some friends to find a good place in the DC area to get it done. If/when I get it dyno'd I will post it , unless it's not flattering then I won't

Nope, you have to post it. You can't really goof up on a dyno
Old 04-06-2005, 05:02 PM

just be sure to dyno in the gear that is closest to 1:1 ratio in order to get the most acurate reading........so if third is 1.18:1 and 4th is .96:1 then make sure they dyno in 4th gear
Old 04-06-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by viperinadiaper
just be sure to dyno in the gear that is closest to 1:1 ratio in order to get the most acurate reading........so if third is 1.18:1 and 4th is .96:1 then make sure they dyno in 4th gear
okay well I guess SOME people can goof on a dyno, hehehe
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS313
/rant

well if thats your logic, my stock 05 srt-4 was rated at 230whp actually has 270whp, because my chrysler dealer who knows the tech guys of the plant, who know the designer of the car told me so.

i havent dynoed my car ($$$$), so i dont know my exact numbers, but the whole "i heard from someone who works here, who knows this guy" is not valid to me. hearing it from someone does not make them the all knowing source of info on anything. and of course a GM rep will say stuff to make the car sound better..its his job to sell the car.

and go check the car mags. even the fabled 'motor trend' who is "biased" towards everything but gm(or at least thats the argument, i dont care really) , wasnt that far off from chevy's original numbers. altitude, weather, etc. all factor into the dyno a car pulls. a car dynoed high up in colorado will be a different then one on burboun street in louisana, and that one will be different from one from upstate new york.

go think your stock cobalt can keep up with an srt. granted, it all depends on the driver of each car, but more then likely, the srt will pull out ahead.

/end rant
Old 04-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Moderator Alumni

Ok I think this has gone on long enough.

EDIT: Locking because people arguing points no one is going to agree on. Getting a bit redundant and very long.