General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt in the top 10 cars under $18k

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cobalt in the top 10 cars under $18k

Not sure if anyone saw this so I thought I'd throw this in. Sorta applies to everyone, but mostly the non-SS type.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7589784/

Looking for a new car for under $18,000? The folks that publish the Kelley Blue Book -- the bible of used car prices -- have picked 10 new models you might want to add to you shopping list.

The 10 cars were chosen based on price, design, style and performance. While fuel economy was not the key criteria, all the vehicles on the list deliver good mileage -- to help you cope with rising gasoline prices.

"A couple of vehicles on our list carry sticker prices above $18,000, but in addition to reporting the MSRP for a vehicle, we track what the car is actually selling for -- its New Car Blue Book value," said Jack Nerad, editorial director of Kelley Blue Book's Web site.

"The New Car Blue Book value allows car buyers to understand what the current street price for each vehicle is, helping them determine what they can really afford," Nerad added.

If you finance your purchase, expect to pay an average of $300 to $350 a month over a 5-year loan term -- the actual amount will depend on how much you put down on the vehicle and rate you can get -- which will provide additional help to car-buyers' pocketbooks.

The list includes the Chevrolet Cobalt LS coupe, Ford Focus ZX3 SES, Honda Element, Hyundai Tiburon, Kia Spectra Hatchback, Mazda 3 Hatchback, Mini Cooper, Scion tC, Scion xB, Toyota Tacoma Prerunner.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

-Will
Old 04-22-2005, 09:07 AM

well thats good to hear. It doesnt really surprise me though. The Cobalt is a great step forward for GM small cars.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:32 AM

That is exactly what I am driving and mine was almost exactly $18k. Also I finally got a few pictures up, you can check them out here: https://www.cobaltss.net/gallery/bro...&imageuser=857
Old 04-22-2005, 09:43 PM

damn thats nice! like the background too! good photography. Anybody notice how high the rear end of the coupe is? I was looking at one at the lot and standing behind it the top of the trunk came up to my breast bone. I'm not a short guy either (5 11)
Old 04-27-2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by stlurbanpunk
damn thats nice! like the background too! good photography. Anybody notice how high the rear end of the coupe is? I was looking at one at the lot and standing behind it the top of the trunk came up to my breast bone. I'm not a short guy either (5 11)
Thanks stlurbanpunk. The picture is taken at Lake Raystown in central PA, about 10 miles from where I go to college. It really is a beautiful place. Also the car it fun to drive on the narrow hilly roads.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boostin
Not sure if anyone saw this so I thought I'd throw this in. Sorta applies to everyone, but mostly the non-SS type.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7589784/

Looking for a new car for under $18,000? The folks that publish the Kelley Blue Book -- the bible of used car prices -- have picked 10 new models you might want to add to you shopping list.

The 10 cars were chosen based on price, design, style and performance. While fuel economy was not the key criteria, all the vehicles on the list deliver good mileage -- to help you cope with rising gasoline prices.

"A couple of vehicles on our list carry sticker prices above $18,000, but in addition to reporting the MSRP for a vehicle, we track what the car is actually selling for -- its New Car Blue Book value," said Jack Nerad, editorial director of Kelley Blue Book's Web site.

"The New Car Blue Book value allows car buyers to understand what the current street price for each vehicle is, helping them determine what they can really afford," Nerad added.

If you finance your purchase, expect to pay an average of $300 to $350 a month over a 5-year loan term -- the actual amount will depend on how much you put down on the vehicle and rate you can get -- which will provide additional help to car-buyers' pocketbooks.

The list includes the Chevrolet Cobalt LS coupe, Ford Focus ZX3 SES, Honda Element, Hyundai Tiburon, Kia Spectra Hatchback, Mazda 3 Hatchback, Mini Cooper, Scion tC, Scion xB, Toyota Tacoma Prerunner.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

-Will
That's not an accomplishment since VERY FEW cars are under $18k these days.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:53 AM

Those pictures were taken at Raystown? Hmm...does that mean you go to school at Juniata?
Old 04-27-2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted
That would make it an accomplishment... DUH and there are quite a few cars under 18k do some research. SO even if the Cobalt was the only one than GOOD chevy has a car under 18k that is also good quality... remeber the cavlier starts well under 18k so does the neon, so do a few hondas , ford, hyundai should I keep going... theres even cars near 10k

EDIT
Here ya go just some proof of how many cras trucks suv's whatever there are UNDER 20K which is close to 18K i couldnt do a search for under 18K though most are though

Chevrolet
Aveo
Cavalier
Classic
Cobalt
Colorado
Silverado
Tracker

Chrysler

Sebring
PT Cruiser

Dodge
Dakota
Neon
Stratus

Ford
Escape
F-150
Focus
Mustang
Ranger
Taurus

GMC
Canyon
Sierra

Honda
Accord
Civic
Crv
Element
Insight

Hyundai
Accent
Elantra
Santa Fe
Sonata
Tiberon
Tuscan

Jeep
Liberty
Wrangler

Almost Every KIA

Mazda
B series
tribute

Mitsubishi
Eclipse
Galant
Lancer
Outlander

Nissan
Altima
Frontier
Sentra
Xterra

Pontiac
Sunfire
GrandAM
Vibe

Saturn

Ion
L300
Vue

All Scions

Subaru
Impreza

A lot of suzuki's

Toyota
Camry
Celica
Corola
Echo
Matrix
Rav-4
Tacoma
Tundra

VW
Golf
GTI
Jetta
Beetle

Not to rub it in but how are you gonna tell me there arent many cars under 18k anymore?

Thats a pretty big screw up of a statement Boosted...
Old 04-27-2005, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Yikes12345
Those pictures were taken at Raystown? Hmm...does that mean you go to school at Juniata?
Exactly Yikes! I'm a senior this year although I'm not too happy with facilities on campus because they hit my car with one of the lawn tractors and did $270 worth of damage to her.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:12 PM

They did WHAT to your car?! I would have been highly upset! I don't live too terribly far from Juniata, but I go to school further north...they haven't started mowing up here yet, it's too COLD!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
SO even if the Cobalt was the only one than GOOD chevy has a car under 18k that is also good quality...
They have not been around long enough to tell so you can make that statement.

remeber the cavlier starts well under 18k
Remember the Cavalier is GONE!!

so does the neon, so do a few hondas , ford, hyundai should I keep going... theres even cars near 10k
I didn't say NO cars were under $18k

EDIT
Here ya go just some proof of how many cras trucks suv's whatever there are UNDER 20K which is close to 18K i couldnt do a search for under 18K though most are though
Now we're up to $20k? Way to go!!

Chevrolet
Cavalier
NO LONGER BEING MADE YOU DUMB ****!

Classic
Nothing by the name of "classic" on Chevy's site.

Ford
Mustang
Show me a new Mustang for under $18k LMFAO!

Hyundai
Tiberon
If you searched the least you could do is spell Tiburon right.

Not to rub it in but how are you gonna tell me there arent many cars under 18k anymore?
Because there are not. Most of what you listed is not under $18k & most of the rest are the BARE BONES STRIPPED DOWN VERSIONS NO ONE WANTS OR BUYS TO DRIVE EVERYDAY!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yikes12345
They did WHAT to your car?! I would have been highly upset! I don't live too terribly far from Juniata, but I go to school further north...they haven't started mowing up here yet, it's too COLD!
I had had several issues with my car so far... it had to be towed once because the key would not turn in the ignition and when I went to pick it up I found a huge dent in the trunk. I had to fight to get the dealership to pay for it and they had to replace the trunk lid and repaint the spoiler. One week after I got my car back it was hit by facilities here at school, at that time I had about 700 miles on it and was pretty pissed.

But now I have doubled the number of miles and nothing has happened since then although I might take it in to have them look at the fuel guages because they seem to act a little funny like a few people on cobaltss.net have mentioned before.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AmosBaker
I had had several issues with my car so far... it had to be towed once because the key would not turn in the ignition and when I went to pick it up I found a huge dent in the trunk. I had to fight to get the dealership to pay for it and they had to replace the trunk lid and repaint the spoiler. One week after I got my car back it was hit by facilities here at school, at that time I had about 700 miles on it and was pretty pissed.

But now I have doubled the number of miles and nothing has happened since then although I might take it in to have them look at the fuel guages because they seem to act a little funny like a few people on cobaltss.net have mentioned before.
Chevy4life might want to rethink his "good quality" statement now
Old 04-27-2005, 08:34 PM

Chevy4life might want to rethink his "good quality" statement now
The only things that as gone wrong was a mechanical failure in the ignition switch, a simple part swap if the vechicle was taken to a decent dealership. Other that that it has just been bad luck.

In the case of the gas tank I think that I am just not used to how it works yet, the last car would go very slowly through the first half of a tank and thn fly in the second part. My Cobalt just might be a little different, I'm not sure.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM

hey Boosted you sound awful familiar, are you related to a Loco? and also i think it is great the cobalt made the top ten under 18k list congrats to GM
Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 PM

Boosted...

Hay did you or did you not read the site rules I linked for you in the other thread???? Language, This is the second time
Old 04-28-2005, 12:26 AM

It may be out of production, but I'll bet there are still some floating around on dealer lots.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Archplsm
Hay did you or did you not read the site rules I linked for you in the other thread???? Language, This is the second time
If it's that important, why are you not using the word filters provided w/the software?

Also, you used the wrong "hay". Should have said "Hey"
Old 04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s113
It may be out of production, but I'll bet there are still some floating around on dealer lots.
Not any 05 Models!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:32 AM

They have not been around long enough to tell so you can make that statement.

Now we're up to $20k? Way to go!!

NO LONGER BEING MADE YOU DUMB ****!

Nothing by the name of "classic" on Chevy's site.

Show me a new Mustang for under $18k LMFAO!

If you searched the least you could do is spell Tiburon right.

Because there are not. Most of what you listed is not under $18k & most of the rest are the BARE BONES STRIPPED DOWN VERSIONS NO ONE WANTS OR BUYS TO DRIVE EVERYDAY!!!
All i did was do a search on vehix.com to prove that there were a shitload of cars under 18k but they only let you search 20k sorry for not being exact. and you did say there werent many cars under 18k and there is. The mustang was on that list becuase it satrts at 19k and if your smart enough with all the deals and diff pricing you can geta mustang under 18k.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:37 AM

There you go... just stop talking, I know you got shut up by me when you first say... There are VERY FEW cars that cheap then I find a HUGE list and now all the sudden your defending yourself by saying

Instead of being an idiot and trying to prove the obvious wrong, why dont you argue a good point. The cobalt is obviously a good car under 18k to even argue that is stupid... It already ahs a high rating on side impact for safety and expects to do well on the rest... so its a great car all around and your gonna try and say its not a good catch under 18k?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Banned

All i did was do a search on vehix.com to prove that there were a shitload of cars under 18k but they only let you search 20k sorry for not being exact. and you did say there werent many cars under 18k and there is. The mustang was on that list becuase it satrts at 19k and if your smart enough with all the deals and diff pricing you can geta mustang under 18k.
You can't get a NEW Mustang for $18k today.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Banned

There you go... just stop talking, I know you got shut up by me when you first say... There are VERY FEW cars that cheap then I find a HUGE list and now all the sudden your defending yourself by saying

Instead of being an idiot and trying to prove the obvious wrong, why dont you argue a good point. The cobalt is obviously a good car under 18k to even argue that is stupid... It already ahs a high rating on side impact for safety and expects to do well on the rest... so its a great car all around and your gonna try and say its not a good catch under 18k?
How do you know it's a "good" car? Only the test of time will tell that.

I'm done w/you, kid.

Have a nice day & enjoy your $18k *******
Old 04-28-2005, 01:23 PM

How do you know it's a "good" car? Only the test of time will tell that.

I'm done w/you, kid.

Have a nice day & enjoy your $18k *******
Im not one to argue online but check it

Dont call me a kid...

I own my own business, I'm buying the SS which is a 22k+ car
And I can go down to the ford lot TODAY and buy a mustang for 18K
They are trying to dump all the base models to get ready for the 06' soon
Old 04-28-2005, 03:16 PM

boosted shouldnt really be here. this is, atleast i thought it is, a forum for people interested/own a cobalt. every post i read of his is basically

srt-4 is god

cobalt is

i see no problem with pointing out a flaw if one exists but there is no reason to call names. it steals power from the argument you are trying to making

the nice thing about the U.S., and many other countries, it allows you to choose what you like. according to boosted's dictatorship we should all be locked away in a dungeon

i say unite cobalt enthusiasts and revolt

Quick Reply: Cobalt in the top 10 cars under $18k