General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below
View Poll Results: Will the SS/SC retain value?
Yes
32.79%
No
67.21%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Collector's Item

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya man, i want it to happen to, but its not, u might just want it to happen to much and like the cobalt to much, think about another company like dodge and if they stopd making chargers in a couple of years. no one would think twice. The supra was different because its a very high value car. and even today, i wouldnt consider a supra "rare". a Delorian is rare...
Old 10-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by DSMissed
I don't think they will. But then again, I'm really confused about why GTO's and RX8's are holding value so well (no offense to either, I love both cars). But an 05 RX8 base model with 30k miles still has a private party value of almost $20k...and there is nothing extra special about a rotary...

actually...nvmd. I just answered my own question.

The Cobalt won't retain its value because there are so many. You could get, what was it, 5 different trim levels, different body's, interior's, engine's....

But with the GTO, you get 2 options. And with the RX8, you get basically 1 option. So there are about as many RX8's in the world as there are SS Cobalts. Same with the GTO's.
well i see a few things wrong with this.

-gto's are NOT retaining value well at all.
-what's special about a rotary? Well the rx-8 is the only current production car to even use one so that's pretty special. And the rx-8 is really a great car all around. Four doors, handles like a dream, nice interior, feels REALLY well balanced when you drive it, looks pretty good...
Old 10-14-2007, 07:43 PM

Okay maybe I was misinterpreted or worded this wrong. By collector's item I was NOT speaking on the level of a 67 Shelby. I was merely talking about what the Supra has turned into. Which is merely something that is wanted more when it is gone. So yea I guess I definately worded it wrong.

So lets start over using the new formula. Remember we are not talking about classic ratings here. Merely do you all think it will be more wanted once all brand new ones are sold. IE will it at the minimum retain full or 75% value, 5-10 years down the road.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

is a neon a collectors car?

a cobalt will not be one either.

most rare cars that are wanted later after they are no longer produced are fast or have a good reputation on the streets....in which both the cobalt lack

next time dont put supra and cobalt in the same sentence lol
Old 10-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the people that don't have one don't want one. most people think this car is a joke. it will be quickly forgotten by everyone expect the people on this site.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 PM

^sad but true... i fukin love my cobalt tho... im actually in love with it...
Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by originaladrian
^sad but true... i fukin love my cobalt tho... im actually in love with it...
do you like girls? how are you in love with a car?

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
the people that don't have one don't want one. most people think this car is a joke. it will be quickly forgotten by everyone expect the people on this site.
so truE!

Last edited by silverSS; 10-14-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned

don't get me wrong guys, i love my car as much as the next person, that's why i'm here. but, unlike many of the members here, i'm also realistic about what it is, and what it isn't.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Too bad we could whoop their ass on a track, well some of us could. I lnow some people here are still learning to drive, lol.

I am with most people here, I love this car, it handles great and is quick as **** given the driver knows what they are doing. A lot of the upgrades are even available from the freaking dealership also which is awesome. Maybe thats why I like it so much, the fact GM actually supports you modding the **** out of it.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

don't get me wrong guys, i love my car as much as the next person, that's why i'm here. but, unlike many of the members here, i'm also realistic about what it is, and what it isn't.
good attitude. you get rep

Originally Posted by scotty1979
Too bad we could whoop their ass on a track, well some of us could. I lnow some people here are still learning to drive, lol.

I am with most people here, I love this car, it handles great and is quick as **** given the driver knows what they are doing. A lot of the upgrades are even available from the freaking dealership also which is awesome. Maybe thats why I like it so much, the fact GM actually supports you modding the **** out of it.
im sorry but i dont see you "whooping many peoples asses on the track" with your 2.2

hell, my cobalt is a mid 13 sec car. Def nothing to brag about, or to say i could whoop someone on the track

Last edited by silverSS; 10-14-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scotty1979

yea, see the thing is is that it's quick for what it is. but that's about it. this is a site full of 13 second cars. in the world of racing, and cars, that's pretty damn slow. there's what, maybe 3 guys on this site that have hit 12's out of 30,000 members? it's a good car for the price, has decent potential, but that's about it. for now at least.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 PM

yea, see the thing is is that it's quick for what it is. but that's about it. this is a site full of 13 second cars. in the world of racing, and cars, that's pretty damn slow. there's what, maybe 3 guys on this site that have hit 12's out of 30,000 members? it's a good car for the price, has decent potential, but that's about it. for now at least.
It is real easy to make them a bit faster (low 14's to mid 13's), but making them considerably faster takes quite a bit of cash. Look at how easy and inexpensive it is to get the ss/sc to mid 13's, but how much it is costing people to run consistant 12's or make 300whp. thats the way i see the cobalt. You gotta expect every single one on the road to be capable of 13's cause most ss/sc's you see will be, but i don't expect any of them to be mid 12's at all. there just arent enough turbo guys running around yet.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by silversccoupe
An awful lot of nearsighted people posting here.If you are buying this car because you think you'll make money you are misguided.If you buy it because you love it you are on the right track.There is no one on this forum that knows what this car will or will not be worth in 20-30 years.I'll stand by my original post...anything is possible.When I sold my
'59 Corvette in '68 for $650 I really didn't think they would be worth what they are today.
And I kick myself in the ass every time I think about it.So unless YOUR car is equiped with a Flux Capcitor today,you can only SPECULATE what ANY car will be worth
in the year 2030-35
well think about it this way. the ss/sc is not really significant in any way, it is by no means an unbelievable performer, and it is not extremely sought after. If anything it will maintain value a bit more than most cars, but probably will just fall into place.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Banned

if anything. the saturn ion redline would be a collectors car considering they made so few. and ya it is VERY few when u see the numbers
Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Banned

Niether car at this point in time are collector vehicles.Doesn't mean that either will or will not be years down the road.A Toyota Supra is just another Jap car,the same way that a Cobalt is just another Chevrolet.The ability of a car to run a 12 sec. 1/4 mile has little or no bearing on its value years from now.'62 Chev 409 Bel Air ......14 or 15 second car when bone stock.Run out and try to buy yourself one today.

No the SS/SC is not extremly sought after .This year,or next year or the year after in all likelyhood.Mustangs are in the same boat.They are a dime a dozen,and like belly buttons everybody has one.(including my wife).But not every body has a Boss 302 or a 428 CJ Mach I both of which are fabulous cars despite their lackluster STREET performance.
Years from now when the only new vehicle available is battery operated .........no let's not even think about that.
i dont expect my car to still run in 15 years, so thats my attitude.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cakeeater
It is real easy to make them a bit faster (low 14's to mid 13's), but making them considerably faster takes quite a bit of cash. Look at how easy and inexpensive it is to get the ss/sc to mid 13's, but how much it is costing people to run consistant 12's or make 300whp. thats the way i see the cobalt. You gotta expect every single one on the road to be capable of 13's cause most ss/sc's you see will be, but i don't expect any of them to be mid 12's at all. there just arent enough turbo guys running around yet.
exactly. mid 13's in this car is easy. anything more than that requires a lot of work, which most people are not willing to do. i think the most overrated thing that people do is keep adding power but don't add the supporting traction mods. i have more mods then a lot of people here, but alot of people have more more mods than me, and i don't get traction for ****. more than 1/2 throttle in first is useless. ****, i can smoke my tires at 60 mph when it's a little wet out. and for the amount of power i have, i shouldn't be able to do that.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 AM

Here is terrible info for current SS SC value, GM announced a few days ago that it will after all do a small production of 08 SS SC.

I dont think the SS will be a collectors car anytime soon,

Now my Integ Type R, that is something that just might be a collectable...
Old 10-15-2007, 09:44 AM

my car is 23 months old. i bought it for $22,638 and it's trade-in value is $11,800; if it were japanese it would be worth like $15,800 on trade.

I VOTED NO
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 PM

I wasn't around at the time, but I have to guess that old Impalas and chargers that everyone is after now (and are bringing in big bucks) were everywhere back then. if in 40 years you can find a SS/SC with matching tags, it's probably going to be worth more then you paid for it now. (half that is probably inflation though) But still the better specimen of old car you have the better off it will be. (I'm pretty sure any car more then 35 years old is going to cost you more now then it did when it was first for sale as long as it is in mint/great shape) Do i expect to get my money back in 5-10 years, not a chance, but even a Ford Model T at this point in running and good condition is worth a ton...It was a far from rare car....Now if they stop making Gas, we might have some problems....but we don't really know.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by martinsmu
Here is terrible info for current SS SC value, GM announced a few days ago that it will after all do a small production of 08 SS SC.
Source?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Ha Ha! Another "will it be a collector's car" thread.

Soem of you guys are missing the point. Cars BECOME "collector cars" for 2 main reasons:
  • Rarity
  • Public Desire

Let's take a look at them ...

Rarity - This category resolves itself to more than just one meaning.

Rarity not only means how many cars were originally produced, but how many of those cars survived in numbers matching condition.

Carbon fiber hoods, after market shifters, non-stock intakes/cams, different wheels, etc., are a KILLER to possible "collector car" value down the road.

OEM is IN ... modded is OUT. (save your parts boys!)

Public Desire - This is almost a completely unforeseeable commodity.

Knowing ahead of time what the public might want some 20-30 years from now is a virtual impossibility. Even some of the most coveted muscle cars of today were dirt cheap and pretty much abandoned when (many years later) fuel prices went through the roof and there were lines at the gas pumps.

So one can try to speculate here, but in the end ... no one really knows.

So what to do then? Just drive your cars and enjoy them boys ... and save those OEM parts!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Some people thought the same thing about the 2004-2006 GTO and there are 20 Cobalts per GTO.

Even the collectors editions of the Trans-Am and Camaro SS barely retain any more value over a standard model.

I hate to say this but the day of Turbo Trans Ams and GNX's are over. Most new release high demand cars will be worth more when bought brand new due to dealer mark up then they will ever be worth in the future.

Some say the Shelby GT500 and Mustang GT will hold some value but they said the same thing about Shelby edition Dodge Daytonas and Shadows too.

But then again like I have always said something is only worth as much as someone will pay you for it.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM

all the car that are collector car today where one day a regular car that nobody thought will be any value today (exp. all those 50 grand muscle cars!) so that proof it... let me say one more thing too
every time i go to a autopart store the clerk ask me is that got a supercharger? i say yes and then they say i want to get one then i say well good luck finding one they dont make them anymore .... that just add value to my car!
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by codyss
Some people thought the same thing about the 2004-2006 GTO and there are 20 Cobalts per GTO.

Even the collectors editions of the Trans-Am and Camaro SS barely retain any more value over a standard model.

I hate to say this but the day of Turbo Trans Ams and GNX's are over. Most new release high demand cars will be worth more when bought brand new due to dealer mark up then they will ever be worth in the future.

Some say the Shelby GT500 and Mustang GT will hold some value but they said the same thing about Shelby edition Dodge Daytonas and Shadows too.

But then again like I have always said something is only worth as much as someone will pay you for it.
Maybe so, but what model Cobalt? There are a few different sub-models, so that is a bit of a generic response. Now, if you were to pick a particular year with certain options, then I can see the possibility of this being true.

For instance, I own a 2007 Cobalt SS/SC with the G85 Performance Package WITH Recaros. I could see mine being a collectors item down the road because there are very limited numbers of 07's with the Recaros as well as the LSD. This thread is all going to be opinion based because no one will truly know anytime soon. Sooooo...Argue on
Old 10-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Banned

An awful lot of nearsighted people posting here.If you are buying this car because you think you'll make money you are misguided.If you buy it because you love it you are on the right track.There is no one on this forum that knows what this car will or will not be worth in 20-30 years.I'll stand by my original post...anything is possible.When I sold my
'59 Corvette in '68 for $650 I really didn't think they would be worth what they are today.
And I kick myself in the ass every time I think about it.So unless YOUR car is equiped with a Flux Capcitor today,you can only SPECULATE what ANY car will be worth
in the year 2030-35
The corvette has been around for 55 years{First produced in 53}. The cobalt has how many years going for it? 3? It will never be a collector car. In 15 years you'll be seeing people driving it around with no paint and rust stains.

Quick Reply: Collector's Item