General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Competition for Cobalt SS Supercharged gets more intense

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IMADreamer
All of you guys are seriously being retarded. Are any of you over 18? Hell 16 for that matter. Any person with a level head sees all sides on this are being rediculously closeminded. You guys should really take this to an Fbody or STI forum. This does not involve the Cobalt at all.
Werd. F-Bodies aren't rally/track cars with their ancient live axle suspensinos, and STIs aren't drag-racers with their complex AWD voodoo and fragile drivetrains, so the entire argument is kinda dumb.

Back on topic, neither of these cars are direct competiton for the Cobalt... One's extinct (thankfully) and the other is AWD and, like, $10,000 more expensive...

Old 08-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by We Are Ninja
Werd. F-Bodies aren't rally/track cars with their ancient live axle suspensinos, and STIs aren't drag-racers with their complex AWD voodoo and fragile drivetrains, so the entire argument is kinda dumb.

Back on topic, neither of these cars are direct competiton for the Cobalt... One's extinct (thankfully) and the other is AWD and, like, $10,000 more expensive...

See this is what I am talking about... fragile drivetrain???? What makes the STi's drivetrain fragile??

You will never see me argue about FACTS on this site, but I do argue with facts.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Banned

Yes, that's great. You made this valiant effort to take it to PM. I noticed that and thought it was very mature of you, but then you kept arguing anyway. By the way, I'm 25 and I have never insulted you. I didn't call you retarded, I said you were being retarded as in acting like one but not one. Maybe it is your reading comprehension that is sub par?

I'm not here to agrue about anything though. I think what's going on here is senseless and quite frankly it's none of my business I know, but I do care because this place is pretty clean for the most part. We don't get a whole lot of this a vs b arguements. I understand a thread of this nature will bring out the worst of people because the fanboys here are going to attack and the antifanboys are going to counter attack. However this Fbody STI arguement is a moot point because neither is a direct competitor to the Cobalt. The Camaro is a RWD V8 Pony Car and the STI is a 30k+ rally inspired AWD car. Now if you were talking about the regular WRX I could see how that is more of a competitor to the Cobalt. It's closer in price and hp although it still uses an AWD powertrain which puts it in a different class technically.

My whole point is that you are acting like an antifanboy. I'm not sure that's a real word but I define it as someone who goes to a particular car site just to basically rip on the car of the site. Not like a troll who does it unabashedly, but in a more descrete way by bringing up other cars that are "better" then it or by arguing with things that the fanboys of that particular site say. Fanboys annoy me too, but we don't need people over compensating in the other direction.

STI great car, Camaro SS great car. That's the truth, and subsequent arguing is stupid.

So I ask again. How old are you?
I am 21 and drive a 06 STI.

Good post. Like your new word, antifanboi.

But like I said above... I do not argue facts and I have never bashed the Cobalt. Just because I post facts that prove that the Cobalt isn't the greatest ever and I will never and never have said the STI is the greatest and will not argue that. But I will argue bigoted opinions or myths or fanboi BS.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 AM
Banned

Anyone here wanna bet this Rambo guy sounds just like Sly Stallone.

Yo, You makin fun o my STi?

Dude seriously go whack it to a STi forum or something. Maybe they will belive the 13.2 stock stories.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cvenom2122
MAZDASPEED 3: good suspension, heavy, stout motor w/ tq, Mazda warranty is a joke, motor also probably can handle more than 17 psi of boost just like MS protege
Mazda warranty is a joke...AMEN to that!!!! That is the truth right there!

The motor is a completely different motor that what was in the MS Protege. There's no way to compare the two.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:05 AM

I like muffins!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
Anyone here wanna bet this Rambo guy sounds just like Sly Stallone.

Yo, You makin fun o my STi?

Dude seriously go whack it to a STi forum or something. Maybe they will belive the 13.2 stock stories.

I wish I could meet you, so I could punch you in the face...............
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by rambo
See this is what I am talking about... fragile drivetrain???? What makes the STi's drivetrain fragile??

You will never see me argue about FACTS on this site, but I do argue with facts.
I traded in my (non-STi) Impreza six months ago, and it's drivetrain, specifically the transmission, was far from bulletproof... It had a brutal driveline shudder from day one, and the clutch slipped from to time.

I'm not knocking the car, I enjoyed it immensely in the years that I had it; I'm just trying to put out that Imprezas (and the Cobalt) are built for things more impressive than drag racing. I'll never understand people's obsession with quarter-mile times and straight line speed.

Last edited by We Are Ninja; 08-30-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:06 AM

I don't have any facts to prove it but from my experience (albeit limited) I would say the STIs drivetrains are a little fragile. Before I bought my Cobalt I test drove several 05 STIs with less then 20k miles on them and all of them had clutch slippage. I was a big STI fan until those 06s came out. No offense to you, but I think they are ugly, so I was trying to hunt down a good 05. I don't think they exist because as I said I tested several with slipping clutches. The Cobalts are no better though.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 AM

I call BS.
I have seen on more than one occasion track nights where no fewer than 3 STi drivers fail to run below 15.xx. I'm not saying they can't run 13s given the right conditions, but sometimes the conditions here are akin to trying to run at 6000+ feet. (Firebird is only around 1300ft)
Old 08-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

I traded in my (non-STi) Impreza six months ago, and it's drivetrain, specifically the transmission, was far from bulletproof... It had a brutal driveline shudder from day one, and the clutch slipped from to time.

I'm not knocking the car, I enjoyed it immensely in the years that I had it; I'm just trying to put out that Imprezas (and the Cobalt) are built for things more impressive than drag racing. I'll never understand people's obsession with quarter-mile times and straight line speed.
Why would you say the STI's driveline is fragile just because you drove a regular impreza was it even a WRX?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Banned

I don't have any facts to prove it but from my experience (albeit limited) I would say the STIs drivetrains are a little fragile. Before I bought my Cobalt I test drove several 05 STIs with less then 20k miles on them and all of them had clutch slippage. I was a big STI fan until those 06s came out. No offense to you, but I think they are ugly, so I was trying to hunt down a good 05. I don't think they exist because as I said I tested several with slipping clutches. The Cobalts are no better though.
That is just luck of the draw, albeit bad. I have over 14k miles on my car, driven hard from day one, including five 1/4 track days and lots of street racing. My clutch has only slipped once and it was AFTER a pass where I cut a really low 1.7 60', after it cooled off it went right back to gripping good as new, cutting some more 1.7s/1.8s afterwards.

I don't see how a car that can handle over 400awhp(over 600 crank hp) with "basically" just bolt-ons can be considered to have a fragile drivetrain.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomt5078
I wish I could meet you, so I could punch you in the face...............
I would be willing to venture out on a limb and say that isn't the first time Cody has been told that even on this site.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:12 PM

Why would you say the STI's driveline is fragile just because you drove a regular impreza was it even a WRX?
I drove a '02 2.5 RS. The drivetrain was weak. I've heard from several STi owners that the STi's drivetrains are weak as well. Anyway, it's good to know that the whole "STi supremacy" movement is just as strong as ever.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

I drove a '02 2.5 RS. The drivetrain was weak. I've heard from several STi owners that the STi's drivetrains are weak as well. Anyway, it's good to know that the whole "STi supremacy" movement is just as strong as ever.
You've heard?? So maybe everyone you have heard this from were horrible drivers, that miss gears and slip the clutch? The weakest parts about the drivetrain are the clutch and half-shafts both of which can handle over 400awhp, so please tell me how the drive trains are week?? And not he said/she said.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:27 PM

You've heard?? So maybe everyone you have heard this from were horrible drivers, that miss gears and slip the clutch? The weakest parts about the drivetrain are the clutch and half-shafts both of which can handle over 400awhp, so please tell me how the drive trains are week?? And not he said/she said.
And perhaps you have an STi with the only bomb-proof transmission ever built. Niether you nor I have driven each and every STi ever built and I really don't care to watch you spooge all over a Cobalt forum about your STi. If you wanna argue, PM me; we've already got enough people having OT arguments in this thread.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will admit that the 280 lbs of torque is very appealing to me on the ms3. However, it will probably have like 250 wtq or something like that.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:59 PM

^It puts up crazy numbers, but the torque is reduced electronically in first and second gear to control wheel hop.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:37 AM
Banned

I would be willing to venture out on a limb and say that isn't the first time Cody has been told that even on this site.

Well I guess thats what happens when you put idiots where they belong on the internet.

Then in real life the idiots turn out to be really big pussies when not behind a keyboard.

And tom I would love to see you try.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

Well I guess thats what happens when you put idiots where they belong on the internet.

Then in real life the idiots turn out to be really big pussies when not behind a keyboard.

And tom I would love to see you try.

Also to add, you are definently one bitch that needs to be kicked in her box.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Banned

Lets see here genius:

A) You were talking bullshit numbers about STi's on a Cobalt site.

B) We aren't stupid ricers who whack off to EVO's and STi's so we have heard it all so you aren't the great educator of STi information.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Banned

Lets see here genius:

B) We aren't stupid ricers who whack off to EVO's and STi's so we have heard it all so you aren't the great educator of STi information.
A) I would love to see you quote me talking BS numbers.

B) Don't lump yourself with the other Cobalt owners on this site. Because you are in fact a stupid ricer, who pulls numbers out of nowhere and tries to pass them off as fact.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:58 PM

Lets see here genius:

So does it make you more of a man to whack off to Chevy products...........

If we ever meet I will, I won't have to try cry baby
Old 09-01-2006, 01:49 PM

I wish a moderator would lock this thread. I enjoy a good argument as much as the next person but i don't hold anything against the people I am arguing with. Check all my posts, you won't find a ton of profanity and physical threats.

To Tom and Rambo, I took you guys seriously even though I was debating you, but now with all these threats and cursing its just silly.

You own an STI great, I wish I could own one.

I owned a Camaro, oh well I moved on once so I will suck it up and move on from defending it on this thread.

Please let's stop the namecalling and BS, especially in regards to Cody cuz I kind of started the argument in the first place.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 PM

After reading this thread I have finally seen the light! I now understand that I have been an idiot for spending money on any domestic vehicle and especially on my $20K SS S/C commuter. 240 horsepower for $21K was a total mistake, too bad I didn't spend $30K for a STi! $6,000 for .3-.5 seconds in the 1/4 is totally worth it! Damn it, I wish I was still living with my parents.

I burned my Suburban and my Cobalt last night and reported them stolen. I now am frantically searching for a new STi that I will use to completely destroy and dominate my local street racers, because street racing is life yo! All of my self-respect is totally based on me driving the fastest car possible and thus I will be a new STI owner! Who cares about having a $300K house and being the sol-provider for my wife and two kids, driving a STi is way more important!

Having my 520 horse turbo LS1 SS Camaro was a joke too, I should have totally bought a STI then too! Gosh I spent $33K on that car new and it only ran 11's, I am such a dumb ass! I could have had an AWD STI straight from Japan for that much and ran 13s stock!

There is a gay couple down the street with a really nice Outback, I wonder if they would sell it to me and I'll use it to replace my Suburban! It's tight, an LL Bean edition with plenty of rainbow/equality stickers!

Quick Reply: Competition for Cobalt SS Supercharged gets more intense