General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Considering a Cobalt SS S/C...reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mitsubishi v6 run with a stock ss/sc? hahahahahaha
unless its the new MIVEC 3.8 then it might hang with the SS. but the 3.0L v6 runs like high 15s from those that i have seen at the track.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..and a word of advice, the dealer can be your friend or your enemy. If you act like a punk ass kid and expect them to solve all your stupid and badly comunicated problems you'll probably get screwed. Saying that your car runs like crap and you want them to fix it won't help your car or the dealer. If you have a problem I would bring it here to the forum and then you can take some possible solutions with you back to the dealer.

Comunicate with the dealer and let them know what you are doing and ask for their input, that's usually all it takes. The dealer will apprecaite your insight as you spend time on the forum. I saved my dealer tons of time by telling them to check with GM and make sure the computer download was correct since the GM server had been sending out the wrong tunes. That bit of info was gained from the forum and my dealer really appreciated it.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
Getter idea... buy a 2.5" pulley, 60# injectos, and make friends with someone who has HPTuners.

265-275whp for less than $400
Sorry there's no one here with HP Tuners that I would trust to touch my car, just because somebody has HPT doesn't mean they can tune better then GM.
The dealer also checked out my install and will contineu to honor my warrantee!
Come on,
smaller belt, pulley, injectors, and tune for $525 is dang cheap!

Last edited by BradyB; 09-13-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by BradyB
Sorry there's on one here with HP Tuners that I would trust to touch my car, just because somebody has HPT doesn't mean they can tune better then GM.
The dealer also checked out my install and will contineu to honor my warrantee!
Come on,
smaller belt, pulley, injectors, and tune for $525 is dang cheap!
But id USUUALLY means that they can give you someone's tune who DOES know what they are doing.

Well, if you want to go that way... You can buy:

3" pulley $100
injectors $150ish
HPT credit $80

And have someone with HPT to give you somehting VERY similar to the stage tune... not that anyone has access to it

I have seen the sotck tune, and it is less than impressive. You should see the stock injector maps!!! LOL!! they are funny to look at!
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Dude im in the same boat as you. Go stage 2 and dont put any after market on it. It makes a very nice daily driver.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BradyB
..and a word of advice, the dealer can be your friend or your enemy. If you act like a punk ass kid and expect them to solve all your stupid and badly comunicated problems you'll probably get screwed. Saying that your car runs like crap and you want them to fix it won't help your car or the dealer. If you have a problem I would bring it here to the forum and then you can take some possible solutions with you back to the dealer.

Comunicate with the dealer and let them know what you are doing and ask for their input, that's usually all it takes. The dealer will apprecaite your insight as you spend time on the forum. I saved my dealer tons of time by telling them to check with GM and make sure the computer download was correct since the GM server had been sending out the wrong tunes. That bit of info was gained from the forum and my dealer really appreciated it.
I do fully agree with this though. My dealer tends to look the other way when it comes to mods
Old 09-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by NoRemorse
And have someone with HPT to give you somehting VERY similar to the stage tune... not that anyone has access to it

I have seen the sotck tune, and it is less than impressive. You should see the stock injector maps!!! LOL!! they are funny to look at!
I would be nice if someone started sended out some nice safe stage II mail order tunes, untill that happens I'll have to stick with the general. Everybody here local is pretty Ecotec stupid.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by IMADreamer
I think you will be pleasently suprised with this car if you purchased it. American cars in general have gotten a bad rap on reliability because of what happened in the 80s. Those are just old worn out stereotypes that the import crowd won't let die. My father has now owned 4 GM cars in a row and each has gotten him well over 100k trouble free miles. I think the worst thing that happened was on his 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme when he had to get a 02 sensor, under warrenty. No biggie really.

Getting disowned by the import crowd isn't a bad thing.

As for gas milage, if you drive on the highway alot expect much more then 25mpg. I get over 30mpg on out of town trips.

Good luck car shopping!
100% correct. Of course you hear it, but it is a FACT, different dealerships use parts from the SAME vendor.

I love my cobalt, and when the end of my lease is up and with all the aftermarket i have planned to it is done, i will test drive a wrx. if i still like my ss/sc more than the wrx, im buying it out.

Its a unique car / more rare car to see on the streets. I get more looks driving my ss/sc than i do in any of my friends other cars (even my buddies mini cooper s)